Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #41
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Question for you knowledgeable techs that say that these newer smokers can not take a little gasoline. Can they run anything else but clean green diesel or does the least little contaminant will lock them up to be no more than a yard ornament? I toss all kinds of liquids down the tank and not worry at all about it. My Brother-in-Law has a Ford F-250 2010 and I get way better mileage than he does..... When he said that he had to add muffler oil to his truck.... I thought that he was smoking and drinking too much again...
I wouldn't add anything except maybe a little additive, and manuf.s state that none is required. None of the trucks will lockup per say, but the injector pumps will not lubricate and send minute metal particles (aluminum or stainless steel) thru the systems and clog injectors. Any fuel that was not used is bypassed back to the tank and now those particles are thru out the entire fuel system. You can actually see (with the naked eye) particles suspended in fluid when held in a clear container and light shined through it. We had some that failures and fuel samples were taken. Gm asked if a magnet attracted any of the particles, because if so it was due to outside infiltration (such as the fuel station pumps or anywhere along the way, thats why good oe filters are recommended), because current systems are only aluminum and stainless steel.

And yes older, non def or dpf trucks would get better mileage, a regen cycle can burn 2-3 gal of diesel at one time- thanks epa! The epa is the reason that systems are so exact and precise these days, have to run at maximum efficency to attain their desired results.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #42
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
Well they will burn 20% biodiesel ?...but no you cant pour motor oil in em anymore...thats the trade off for the emissions junk, but also why they put out 400+ hp straight off the lot.....mainly it has to do with the high pressure pump and the injector setup. ....and I still laugh at people who tell me that def is for the regen or makes mileage worse...speaking of mpg, if you delete the emissions stuff on a newer one (egr/def/dpf) you can get a hefty kick in mpg...but heck ill take 21mpg hwy and no diesel clack or smoke any day....to each their own...if my dpf fails or clogs I aint putting another on tho. ..just saying...lol

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
Yep some are at the 20% bio, and some are still at 5% from what I've heard (think vw or Mercedes, but their all headed towards 20% if epa or government has thier way).
The manufacturer says it will take it, but if I have a choice, im getting the 100% diesel myself.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #43

The ford 6.4 is only rated for b5. More than that and you will have a problem. The new 6.7 is rated for b20. Can't speak for the other two brands
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #44

Yeah, I was referring to the newer 250's...the 6.7.....not that I would put that much....or recommend it...

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #45

That's bad.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, tank