Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #21

Correct... Go with the chart. (Assuming you are not intending to exceed the trailers gross axle weight.)

That said.

- Your wheels should be fine.

- The tire installer won't care going to a higher load rating. They only have issues with going down in load ratings.

1- Check your recommended tire size
2- Check the inflation psi recommended from the trailer manufacturer for that size tire. Find the load capacity in that chart.
3- When using a D or E load tire, use the chart again to determine the new psi needed. You will likely not need the 65 or 80 psi maximum (D & E load) to achieve your load capacity. You might be able to achieve your load capacity at 55 psi (for example).

You will have slightly better puncture resistance in the tread area as well as the sidewall of the tire. You will not have any appreciable tire deflection (flattening of tread) with the new tires, simply because they are not at max inflation.

edit... I can almost guarantee the tire installer will inflate to max pressure of the new tire. Sadly, most do not care to look it up or know any different. They do have inflation/load rating catalogs at the installers. You can verify the new psi there if you wish, then adjust accordingly.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #22

Here is the Rim tire pressure for you from HTW. The flagstaff link did not have the PSI this one does. Now some 2015 #8289 came out with Sumec Rims. all I can find on them is that they are made overseas. Most #8289WS came with these rims. When I had mine changed the MAX PSI was stamped inside the rim 60 PSI. 6 spoke 5 bolt pattern.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rockwood rims.pdf (228.4 KB, 134 views)

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #23

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-18 15.06.56.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	64283
These are the rims that came on our '14 8289, nothing stamped anyplace except "MADE IN CHINA" on the inside. Can't see that till the tire has been removed.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Thank you everybody for the responses. My wheels (2013 8289WS w/Platinum or Diamond...not sure which) are the "Sumec" brand wheels as pictured above by PhoneDude.

PhoneDude...The white oval sticker on the face of one of my spokes (just like in your picture) reads the brand "SUMEC WHEELS". On mine the "SUMEC" lettering is extremely faded and barely visible. Also, the weight rating is cast into the back of 1 spoke on each wheel (on mine anyway) and is visible without removing the wheel from the trailer...same with the "Made in China" lettering.

I ran some numbers last night and concluded that D range tires will pretty much get me to the magical 80% of tire capacity I'm shooting for, so D range it is.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
Thank you everybody for the responses. My wheels (2013 8289WS w/Platinum or Diamond...not sure which) are the "Sumec" brand wheels as pictured above by PhoneDude.

PhoneDude...The white oval sticker on the face of one of my spokes (just like in your picture) reads the brand "SUMEC WHEELS". On mine the "SUMEC" lettering is extremely faded and barely visible. Also, the weight rating is cast into the back of 1 spoke on each wheel (on mine anyway) and is visible without removing the wheel from the trailer...same with the "Made in China" lettering.

I ran some numbers last night and concluded that D range tires will pretty much get me to the magical 80% of tire capacity I'm shooting for, so D range it is.
"D" rated as you said would be fine IMO. "SUMEC" I found the company and where they are made but no PSI rating. Knowing FR they would put a 60 PSI rated rim on, Remember when I was switching that the max of the "C" rated carry cap was like 1780 or close just under my 4000 lb. axle. I remember thinking they only left me with #200 per wheel, border line, but they were legal. I do run mine at between 60 and 65 PSI, been playing around with that. My PSI will go up to about 72 after a half hr. of travel @ 90 degrees outside. Haven't gone over that yet and If my CRS kicks in the highest temp has been around 110. I ran them at GY scale for load and my temp got higher. So I now just leave then between 60 or 65 max. I can't tell or see any excess bounce so maybe that's my spot. Been 2 years and the Marathons are looking like new yet with over 3000 miles on them. I do not overload my trailer. I think I have more pin weight then load on each tire which is fine with me....Per last time at the scales. By the way GreenImp what was your PSI stamped on the Sumec rims?
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
Attachment 64283
These are the rims that came on our '14 8289, nothing stamped anyplace except "MADE IN CHINA" on the inside. Can't see that till the tire has been removed.
I have the same rims on my Flagstaff
What valve stems did you get?
I was looking at these

TR416 1 1 2" Chrome Bolt in Tire Valve Stem TR 416 | eBay

2013 F350 SB,CC Lariat Ruby Red,3.73Gears,5Star Tuned,,Line-X Bed,Extang Platinum Cover,Airlift LoadLifter 5000 Bags,Airlift Wireless Air controller,Reese Signature Series Fifth Wheel Rail Kit,B&W Fifth Wheel Hitch,2014 Flagstaff 8528BHWS
thetiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiler View Post
I have the same rims on my Flagstaff
What valve stems did you get?
I was looking at these

TR416 1 1 2" Chrome Bolt in Tire Valve Stem TR 416 | eBay
They are the ones to get...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #28

My new trailer came with 205/75/15 C rated tires. I had just put brand new Maxxis 225/75/15 E rated tires on my old trailer when I decided to trade and had them swap tires. I just completed a 10,500 mile trip and the tires handled flawlessly. There is no sign of wear. I ran the tires at 72 psi instead of 80 since this trailer is way under the max weight of the tires. My tailer recommended 50 psi for the C rated tires. I added a tire pressure monitoring system for peace of mind.

I literally had sleepless nights worrying about these tires. After this trip I am very confident that you can upgrade tires to a higher rating or two.
2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post

Same Wheels, running Marathon D at 65 psi. Thinking of dropping a little lower to smooth the ride out a bit. I 69 in Michigan was like a buck board and we are heading back there in a few weeks.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #30

I have the same Sumec wheels on our TT, and installed load range D Marathons and these metal stems which fit perfectly.

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.orei...1769&ppt=C2459

I'm running the tires at 65psi with no issues. I've emailed Sumec about the wheels rated pressure but they haven't responded.
Very happy to have the Trail Express tires off our trailer.

Tags
mount, tire, tires, wheel