Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Getting D,E tires mounted on "C" rated wheels

I see dozens or more posts where members have upgraded tires to higher rated ones. I am wondering if any of you have ever had issues with the installers not wanting to put these D and E rated tires on wheels rated for less (mine are 2150Lbs ea...essentially "C" rated). To be clear, I have no concerns about the wheels not being strong enough for my needs, or not handling the additional 5-15 PSI. I am simply wondering if I am going to have to buy new wheels also for no other reason than to satisfy the installers potential liability concerns.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #2

no way should you even be considering this nor trust any installer that would do it. Wheels are rated for a reason, not what you "think" they are capable of handling
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
DDC

Can you get E rated tires for 14 inch wheels"?
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #4

When we had our Windjammer, I put D tires on the rims that came with the trailer. It came with C tires originally. But I checked with the wheel manufacturer first to make sure they could handle the D's.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
no way should you even be considering this nor trust any installer that would do it. Wheels are rated for a reason, not what you "think" they are capable of handling

I know you are well intentioned, but you evidently do not understand my intention. I want to reuse the wheels that came with my trailer and therefore are rated high enough for it. I am simply wanting to reduce the risk of blowouts by adding an additional safety factor vs the factory tires as far as weight capacity. I will NOT be utilizing this additional capacity other than by running my tires at a preferred 80% of capacity rather than the near 100% of capacity the factory tires are running at. I am not concerned about running the wheels near capacity.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
Old 10-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Can you get E rated tires for 14 inch wheels"?

I do not know...my original tires/wheels are 15". All of my research has been for 15" and 16" tires/wheels. My 16" upgrade thoughts ended when I realized my wheels/axles are only 5 lug and there are no 5 lug 16" trailer wheels (that I could find).
Old 10-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #7

Direct answer to your question - no.

Did you find a pressure rating on your wheels? They should be the same aluminum wheels as I have on my Flagstaff and I can't see a pressure rating, just a weight rating (2150lbs). If you were to add D or E rated tires to your rig would you would run them at lower than rated pressure simply so they would have a flat tread as they rolled? I always thought that for every tire there is a specific pressure that works best with the weight that is on it. i.e. would you have a very rounded tread if you put 85 psi in a E rated tire on the rig in your signature line? I think I saw a chart by a tire manufacturer somewhere that listed the optimum psi for given weights.

I too have considered upgraded my C rated tires to D rated ones. Firsthand reports from owners on this forum appear to show there is a benefit against blowouts, but I haven't noted whether they are running the pressure in the tires at max or if they set the psi for the weight of the trailer.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #8

wheels are rated for weight and pressure. You must verify both are in spec for the tires you want to use. Running D tires at a lower pressure isn't an option either. If you can't find the max PSI on the wheel, you need to contact manufacturer
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have d tires on my Stock Rims running 65 lbs. Same trailer as yours and same rating. Many others here including some with the same wheels and the same trailer run D's with the same wheels as stock at 65 lbs.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #10

I can not see a PSI rating, but have not removed the wheel and or tire yet. I have read that others with the same wheel found no PSI ratings and could get no confirmation from the manufacturers/dealers etc.

I have done more research on this subject than I care to admit. I am currently of the opinion that the tires do not need to be run at their maximum rated PSI, but rather that there is an "optimum" PSI in relation to the given load. At least one confirmation of this is found here... http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf I will most likely use this chart to determine the PSI I will run.

FWIW, I copied this statement from TireRack.com...
All too often, many drivers and mechanics assume the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire's sidewall is what is recommended for proper inflation. However, that number represents the maximum pressure that's safely allowed, but is likely higher than what is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:42 AM   #11

Quote:
wheels are rated for weight and pressure.
I agree 100%...at least they usually are. So far I find no PSI rating on my wheels, but I have not inspected them thoroughly. I have also read that others with the same wheels could not find this rating.

Quote:
You must verify both are in spec for the tires you want to use.
Personally, I disagree. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I see no problem with my wheels being the weakest link...as long as I don't exceed their capacity.

Quote:
Running D tires at a lower pressure isn't an option either.
Goodyear, TireRack, and myself do not agree with you on this. Please see my earlier post for the links.

Quote:
If you can't find the max PSI on the wheel, you need to contact manufacturer
This is good advice and I agree totally. However, this information is irrelevant to my original question.

I simply asked those who have tread this path before me (D or E tires on C wheels) whether or not they received pushback from their installers. Based on the lack of posts about it, my assumption is that they generally don't...but I wanted to ask the specific question to see what they had to say.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think you are right on track with what you are wanting to do. You absolutely can put higher rated tires on your rims as long as you don't exceed max pressure, and you able to inflate to min pressure. You are not increasing your load, so discussing load weights is irrelevant. I would imagine your wheel is rated for around 65psi or better. Your yellow tag should tell you what pressure to inflate your tires to, same as door tag on vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I know you are well intentioned, but you evidently do not understand my intention. I want to reuse the wheels that came with my trailer and therefore are rated high enough for it. I am simply wanting to reduce the risk of blowouts by adding an additional safety factor vs the factory tires as far as weight capacity. I will NOT be utilizing this additional capacity other than by running my tires at a preferred 80% of capacity rather than the near 100% of capacity the factory tires are running at. I am not concerned about running the wheels near capacity.
Let me try and clear this question up for you. You have the same rims that I do. The inside rim is stamped at 60 lbs. I went from a "C" rated 50 PSI to a GY Marathon "D" rated with no problems at all. You really do not need to go up to "E" rated. I have the chart from the wheel Manufacturer. I will try to attach it. Max inflation PSI for the new tires are 65 PSI. I wouldn't try to go to "E" being the pressure rating, You would need new rims for that. Also GY recommend to me to move up to "D" rated and said no problem with the rim holding the extra 5 lbs psi. If there was a concern by law they couldn't install them. The web address for rims is stamped on your hub cap. Google them and it will gave you the PSI and load rating. They are still Series 06 as attached but will give the PSI which the attached doesn't.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Flagstaff Series06 wheels.pdf (353.5 KB, 143 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #14

Tires

I went with E's @ 65PSI on the 2150 rims. If they crap out, so be it. The C's certainly would at some point so maybe I'm better off. Trailer tires are like Russian Roulette anyway. Time will tell, they don't heat up like the C's at least.
leland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #15

Wow. You were able to find the specs on the rims? I am going to try that today.

My rims happen to have a sticker that says they are Sumec rims. Cannot seem to figure out what model they are. If it was not for the new sticker on the rim, I doubt I would know who made it.

Is this information stamped onto the rims? Is it easy to see? Inside the wheel well? Inside the tire?

I too would like to move up to D rated tires for my 14" rims.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #16

Most rims have the tire pressure either stamped or embossed on the inside of the wheel.....tire has to come off to see it.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #17

Ok. Thx CP.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #18
Site Team

I replaced my trail express "C"s (aftrr a blowout) with gy marathon "D"s last July. Was on the road and found brand new ones at a Walmart in canton Texas. The only resistance to installing them was one employee griping about having to go out into the sun with a floor jack to do it. Then he put the balance weight on the outside of the wheel on the flat one. Duh!

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #19

A couple of weeks ago I put Maxxis 8008 E rated tires on the stock rims of our 8289ws, bought and installed at discount tire. Myself nor the tire tech or the manager could find any pressure ratings or markings on any of the wheels except for "MADE IN CHINA" stamped on them. Anyway I run them at 70 psi cold. With about 400 miles on them so far so good. I also had them balanced and install steel valve stems, I roll with a tpms system on the tires.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I think you are right on track with what you are wanting to do. You absolutely can put higher rated tires on your rims as long as you don't exceed max pressure, and you able to inflate to min pressure. You are not increasing your load, so discussing load weights is irrelevant. I would imagine your wheel is rated for around 65psi or better. Your yellow tag should tell you what pressure to inflate your tires to, same as door tag on vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
This is my experience as well.

My steel rims are rated for max WEIGHT and are stamped as such.

As long as you do not exceeds the max rated load of the rims (verify with a wheel scale to be sure), the pressure should not be a factor (with steel rims - Aluminum rims have a max pressure due to casting issues I am told).

Make sure if you go up a range, that you upgrade your rubber stems as they also have a max pressure associated with them (60 PSI) and D rated or higher tires need metal high pressure stems. Tire Valve Stems: The Tire Valve Stem Selection Process
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4877.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	64248  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tire, tires, wheel