Old 10-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Getting D,E tires mounted on "C" rated wheels

I see dozens or more posts where members have upgraded tires to higher rated ones. I am wondering if any of you have ever had issues with the installers not wanting to put these D and E rated tires on wheels rated for less (mine are 2150Lbs ea...essentially "C" rated). To be clear, I have no concerns about the wheels not being strong enough for my needs, or not handling the additional 5-15 PSI. I am simply wondering if I am going to have to buy new wheels also for no other reason than to satisfy the installers potential liability concerns.

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #2

no way should you even be considering this nor trust any installer that would do it. Wheels are rated for a reason, not what you "think" they are capable of handling

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
DDC

Can you get E rated tires for 14 inch wheels"?
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #4

When we had our Windjammer, I put D tires on the rims that came with the trailer. It came with C tires originally. But I checked with the wheel manufacturer first to make sure they could handle the D's.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
no way should you even be considering this nor trust any installer that would do it. Wheels are rated for a reason, not what you "think" they are capable of handling

I know you are well intentioned, but you evidently do not understand my intention. I want to reuse the wheels that came with my trailer and therefore are rated high enough for it. I am simply wanting to reduce the risk of blowouts by adding an additional safety factor vs the factory tires as far as weight capacity. I will NOT be utilizing this additional capacity other than by running my tires at a preferred 80% of capacity rather than the near 100% of capacity the factory tires are running at. I am not concerned about running the wheels near capacity.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
Old 10-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Can you get E rated tires for 14 inch wheels"?

I do not know...my original tires/wheels are 15". All of my research has been for 15" and 16" tires/wheels. My 16" upgrade thoughts ended when I realized my wheels/axles are only 5 lug and there are no 5 lug 16" trailer wheels (that I could find).
Old 10-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #7

Direct answer to your question - no.

Did you find a pressure rating on your wheels? They should be the same aluminum wheels as I have on my Flagstaff and I can't see a pressure rating, just a weight rating (2150lbs). If you were to add D or E rated tires to your rig would you would run them at lower than rated pressure simply so they would have a flat tread as they rolled? I always thought that for every tire there is a specific pressure that works best with the weight that is on it. i.e. would you have a very rounded tread if you put 85 psi in a E rated tire on the rig in your signature line? I think I saw a chart by a tire manufacturer somewhere that listed the optimum psi for given weights.

I too have considered upgraded my C rated tires to D rated ones. Firsthand reports from owners on this forum appear to show there is a benefit against blowouts, but I haven't noted whether they are running the pressure in the tires at max or if they set the psi for the weight of the trailer.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #8

wheels are rated for weight and pressure. You must verify both are in spec for the tires you want to use. Running D tires at a lower pressure isn't an option either. If you can't find the max PSI on the wheel, you need to contact manufacturer
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #9

I have d tires on my Stock Rims running 65 lbs. Same trailer as yours and same rating. Many others here including some with the same wheels and the same trailer run D's with the same wheels as stock at 65 lbs.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #10

I can not see a PSI rating, but have not removed the wheel and or tire yet. I have read that others with the same wheel found no PSI ratings and could get no confirmation from the manufacturers/dealers etc.

I have done more research on this subject than I care to admit. I am currently of the opinion that the tires do not need to be run at their maximum rated PSI, but rather that there is an "optimum" PSI in relation to the given load. At least one confirmation of this is found here... http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf I will most likely use this chart to determine the PSI I will run.

FWIW, I copied this statement from TireRack.com...
All too often, many drivers and mechanics assume the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire's sidewall is what is recommended for proper inflation. However, that number represents the maximum pressure that's safely allowed, but is likely higher than what is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

Tags
mount, tire, tires, wheel