Old 11-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
Usually Confused Member

Good news...bad news

Good news is the TST TPMS did its job. Good news is the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer did its job. The bad news.....

I20 westbound outside Atlanta. TST starts beeping, right front pressure now shows 50 and dropping. I start moving to the right lane and now I can feel the vibration and steering wheel pull. At about 30 mph...boom. With the Safe-T-Plus system doing its thing the MH was in complete control. Lots of right pull but easily controllable.

Another attaboy to Coachnet. Showed up in less than an hour and got be back on the road.

BTW, the Hankook tire was made in October, 2017, and had 11,950 miles.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #2

Good to hear that all went well in your situation and were able to get safely stopped off the road. From your post it sounds like there was no collateral damage. Are you aware of any prior damage to the tire that may have compromised itís integrity. My late 17 has the Michelinís, and knock on wood no issues in 35k+ miles.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2019 Jeep Trailhawk toad
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Good to hear that all went well in your situation and were able to get safely stopped off the road. From your post it sounds like there was no collateral damage. Are you aware of any prior damage to the tire that may have compromised it’s integrity. My late 17 has the Michelin’s, and knock on wood no issues in 35k+ miles.
Just got back from the tire place. We found a large “nail” on the far right side of the tread. The tire lost air so fast there was probably no way to prevent the blowout. At least the TST gave me enough warning of the coming blowout I was able to get off the road safely (traffic was fairly heavy).

And..the rest of the saga. CoachNet changed the tire using my spare. Unfortunately the spare only had 49 psi (40% underinflated) but no place open to get the tire up to 80 psi. Drove slowly on back roads to get home and the tire made it. But, it also has to be replaced because of overloading so the undamaged left front MH tire becomes the new spare and two new ones being put up front.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Unfortunately the spare only had 49 psi (40% underinflated) but no place open to get the tire up to 80 psi.
I've been meaning to put an extra sensor on my spare.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've been meaning to put an extra sensor on my spare.
Just ordered one. And, going to get a Viair compressor.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Just ordered one. And, going to get a Viair compressor.

Good stuff!
Old 11-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
PPST Wannabe

Quote:
Just got back from the tire place. We found a large ďnailĒ on the far right side of the tread. The tire lost air so fast there was probably no way to prevent the blowout. At least the TST gave me enough warning of the coming blowout I was able to get off the road safely (traffic was fairly heavy).

And..the rest of the saga. CoachNet changed the tire using my spare. Unfortunately the spare only had 49 psi (40% underinflated) but no place open to get the tire up to 80 psi. Drove slowly on back roads to get home and the tire made it. But, it also has to be replaced because of overloading so the undamaged left front MH tire becomes the new spare and two new ones being put up front.

So...........
CoachNet sends out a repair person and vehicle that does not have a compressor unit on board?
Sounds like poor planning......weíre talking tire repair service here people.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #8

Part of my preseason process is to check the pressure in the spare. I also carry a Harbor Freight 12 volt compressor. It's worked on the road for topping off the tow dolly (won't need that anymore) and car tires, never needed to top off the coach tires. I have been thinking of getting a Viair 400-RV as well.

Also very surprised that a road service provider did not have a source of air.

I know the spare tire that FR provided on my rig was not a high quality tire. It's probably not a great loss to have to replace it. This way you will also have a matching set on the steer axle. Of course not $$ you were planning on spending.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2019 Jeep Trailhawk toad
Old 11-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
So...........
CoachNet sends out a repair person and vehicle that does not have a compressor unit on board?
Sounds like poor planning......weíre talking tire repair service here people.
I had a good discussion with CoachNet prior to them sending help. I explained what had happened and that I had a spare and only needed it changed. The low pressure in the spare was my fault. I think I checked it once but Iím really not sure when. Not gonna let that happen again.

Also, I could have done the fix myself but I had two issues to deal with. First, I was inches off the highway at the Turner Hill exit east of Atlanta. I didnít feel comfortable with all that traffic and since Iíve paid for service why not use it.

The second reason was the neighborhood I was in and anyone familiar with Atlanta will know what that means...a very high crime location. I had preventative measures in place and working on a tire change would interfere with that. Not gonna say any more about it but some will know what that means.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
I had a good discussion with CoachNet prior to them sending help. I explained what had happened and that I had a spare and only needed it changed. The low pressure in the spare was my fault. I think I checked it once but Iím really not sure when. Not gonna let that happen again.

Also, I could have done the fix myself but I had two issues to deal with. First, I was inches off the highway at the Turner Hill exit east of Atlanta. I didnít feel comfortable with all that traffic and since Iíve paid for service why not use it.

The second reason was the neighborhood I was in and anyone familiar with Atlanta will know what that means...a very high crime location. I had preventative measures in place and working on a tire change would interfere with that. Not gonna say any more about it but some will know what that means.
Understand completely. Hard to watch your back with your back to traffic and a tire in your hands. I would have done the same.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2019 Jeep Trailhawk toad
Old 11-17-2019, 01:49 AM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Thanks for this post. I crawled under the rig today and found my 110psi tire was at 80psi. Next time I’ll drop the damned tire before I pump it up, though. Spent way too long getting that 30psi back!

I also spun on my extra TPMS sensor that I’ve been carrying for over a year!
Old 11-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I just mounted my tire upside down so the valve stem was accessible on the spare. I check my Sailun at the start of the season and carry a 110V Air Compressor with me to pump up the tires as needed.

B and B is offline   Reply With Quote