Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

Goodbye to the Overseas Explosives!

I thought that would be a more politically correct term for the infamous China Bombs most of us have had to deal with at some time.
I got my Mini Lite 2104S about a year ago and we've used it several times for long weekends at nearby state parks. So far we love the Rockwood , but I'm tired of everybody referring to it as a "cute little trailer". That thing is 21 feet of pure fiberglass machismo! Ok, it's not very big, but the floor plan works great for us.
Anyway, it came with a quartet of Castle Rock tires, which courtesy of this fine forum I found out weren't the best available choice out there. We recently had to make our first lengthy trip running from hurricane Harvey, the other reason I got the trailer. We made the trip west safe enough and spent a few days high and dry in Carrizo Springs, Texas (special thanks to SB-RV park, you guys were great!), then were fortunate enough to return home to minimal damage. The whole time I was worried about the reliability of those tires. The last thing I wanted to deal with was a flat while on the run, or worse, major damage from a blowout at speed. As soon as we got back I decided it was time to replace those almost brand new factory tires.
Thanks to you folks I narrowed my search to either the Maxxis or Goodyear Endurance. I was able to find the Goodyears locally for $110-115 each without waiting for an order, so that was my choice. I needed to get my truck inspected, so I took it to the auto shop at the Navy base where I work. My DW is retired Army which gives me access to the Exchange, so while I was waiting I strolled by the tire store on the off chance they had what I wanted.

Clerk: Well, I think we only carry one brand of trailer tire.
Me: Oh well...
Clerk: We have the Goodyear Endurance, you size costs $87 each.
Me:
Clerk: But we have to order them.
Me:
Clerk: They'll be here day after tomorrow.
Me: Four please!

I have the trailer in storage and didn't want to hassle with dragging it over to the base, so I put it up on jackstands and yanked the wheels off myself. Fortunately the weather was predicted to be calm for the next few days, but I was anxious to get them back on with quality American-made rubber. I was amazed at how light the wheels were upon removal, and noticed considerable more heft with the Goodyears mounted. That's encouraging.
It felt weird getting rid perfectly new tires, but the peace of mind is well worth the expense. The next investment is in a TPMS system, namely the TST 507 that seems to be very popular here. I do have a question actually. I'm looking at the flow-thru sensors, which are the lightest, but is it a good idea to get the wheels re-balanced with the sensors installed? Haven't seen that addressed yet, thanks for all the good advice thus-far.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
So far we love the Rockwood , but I'm tired of everybody referring to it as a "cute little trailer".
I always thought a T@B or a Little Guy was a "cute little trailer."

Update: OK, I see you're in Texas. Everything's bigger in Texas, so I guess you DO have a cute little trailer.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I always thought a T@B or a Little Guy was a "cute little trailer."

Update: OK, I see you're in Texas. Everything's bigger in Texas, so I guess you DO have a cute little trailer.
GRRRRRR!!!!!

Ok, I'll admit...almost everything else in the park was a Class A, fiver or monster toy hauler. My little coach would probably fit inside most of the units there, but we had full plumbing, A/C and DirecTV so no complaints. I also probably spent the least amount in gas to get there!
This was my first park with a sewer hookup, I could really get used to skipping the line at the dump station, and no messing around with the wheeled "honey pot" after a few days. The DW and pops-in-law sure enjoyed the Hollywood showers as well.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #4

I hate reading posts like this. You’ve read on the Internet about China bombs and now you are brainwashed into thinking a blowout is inevitable with the China made tires.

Personally I think most people have blowouts because they didn’t take care of their tires, i.e. not properly inflated, stressing the sidewall to the max during backing maneuvers, climbing and rubbing curbs with the wheels, etc. Beside myself, I have yet to see anyone check the pressure on their trailer tires when packing up after a weekend of camping. Yet I keep reading posts about blowouts and how they always check their tire pressure. That’s not what I see.

I’m completing my sixteen year of owning a trailer and have yet to experience a blowout with the original tires that came with my fifth wheels. I hope I haven’t jinxed myself posting that.

I do replace the trailer tires after four years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. Replacing the tires that came with the trailer before that is a waste of money. That’s my 2 cents.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

Inevitable? Maybe not. More probable? Quite likely.
I didn't make the decision lightly, and I wasn't about to spend a fortune so I did some serious shopping around. I guess when your travelling down a highway in heavy traffic during a Texas summer while evacuating your family from potential disaster, taking measures to reduce the chances of major problems tends to come naturally. That's why the TPMS is next. I even kept one of the old tires as an extra spare to have when I buy a bigger truck and we hit the road after retiring. All I need now is another rim...
I'm in the aviation maintenance business, we try to fix things before they break!
Old 09-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I hate reading posts like this. You’ve read on the Internet about China bombs and now you are brainwashed into thinking a blowout is inevitable with the China made tires.

Personally I think most people have blowouts because they didn’t take care of their tires, i.e. not properly inflated, stressing the sidewall to the max during backing maneuvers, climbing and rubbing curbs with the wheels, etc. Beside myself, I have yet to see anyone check the pressure on their trailer tires when packing up after a weekend of camping. Yet I keep reading posts about blowouts and how they always check their tire pressure. That’s not what I see.

I’m completing my sixteen year of owning a trailer and have yet to experience a blowout with the original tires that came with my fifth wheels. I hope I haven’t jinxed myself posting that.

I do replace the trailer tires after four years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. Replacing the tires that came with the trailer before that is a waste of money. That’s my 2 cents.
X2 Take care of your OE tires and they will give decant service.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #7

Will input my .02 to this also.
I am on my third year with the Chinese tires.
I never go over 65 because that is all they are RATED FOR!
I don't have any wear that I can see on them so no reason to change them out.
BUT, I get passed by about everyone.
These tires DO have a speed rating on them and when you go for 8 hours at 70, they are going to get HOT and come apart!
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

The cap sensors are the lightest...about half I think.

They are coming out with a new monitor(I would shoot for that). Mike Bensen(sp) is a member here and my respond.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
Will input my .02 to this also.
I am on my third year with the Chinese tires.
I never go over 65 because that is all they are RATED FOR!
I don't have any wear that I can see on them so no reason to change them out.
BUT, I get passed by about everyone.
These tires DO have a speed rating on them and when you go for 8 hours at 70, they are going to get HOT and come apart!
That's another reason. Many of the freeways in Texas are 75 MPH, some are even 80! I don't mind going 65 on a 4 lane road, feel free to pass me. Problem is, many of the secondary roads are only 2 lane but still 75 MPH. That was the case during my evacuation adventure and there was a sizable line of probably pissed-off drivers behind me. Whenever a passing lane came up I pulled over and let them by, but I'd like to go 75 when I can. The factory tires were limited to 65, the smoking hot roads down here no doubt make that situation worse.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
llr

There has been at least one post on here about a spare tire that was never on the ground blowing so it is more than driver abuse.
That said I am running the original Castle Rock tires, probably replace them in the spring which is much sooner than should be needed.
Prior TT 2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS Classic Ultra lite - SOLD 5/21
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #11

I'm at the IRV2 Rally in Branson, TST introduced the color photos here. I was going to buy flow thru but after the seminar it was clear the cap sensors make much more sense for trailers and fifth wheels.

The flow through stick out about 2.inches. Fine for Class A & C, but would get knocked off on trailers.

Color monitor will be generally available in Nov/Dec, but was available here. Got it with my 507 cap sensors.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
I'm at the IRV2 Rally in Branson, TST introduced the color photos here. I was going to buy flow thru but after the seminar it was clear the cap sensors make much more sense for trailers and fifth wheels.

The flow through stick out about 2.inches. Fine for Class A & C, but would get knocked off on trailers.

Color monitor will be generally available in Nov/Dec, but was available here. Got it with my 507 cap sensors.
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #13

After having two different sets of Chinese tires have issues on my boat trailer, there was no way I was keeping the Chinese tires on my newly purchased TT. I had a ton of weight margin too after switching from 14" to 15" tires.

I have 5 new Maxxis sitting in my garage ready for the switch.

BTW, I keep my tires off the ground in the off season. The tires inflation is checked before every trip. I did just buy a TPMS for the TT as a blowout on this will tear up more stuff.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #14

Quote:
That's another reason. Many of the freeways in Texas are 75 MPH, some are even 80! I don't mind going 65 on a 4 lane road, feel free to pass me. Problem is, many of the secondary roads are only 2 lane but still 75 MPH. That was the case during my evacuation adventure and there was a sizable line of probably pissed-off drivers behind me. Whenever a passing lane came up I pulled over and let them by, but I'd like to go 75 when I can. The factory tires were limited to 65, the smoking hot roads down here no doubt make that situation worse.
Slow down and stop looking behind you. You're going the other direction. They'll get over it.

15,000 on Westlakes and going fine so far. No leaks, no sign of wear. I wouldn't have a Castle Rock or Marathon or whatever, though. Like Japan, China is learning how to make SOME good stuff. It's not a death knell.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
After having two different sets of Chinese tires have issues on my boat trailer, there was no way I was keeping the Chinese tires on my newly purchased TT. I had a ton of weight margin too after switching from 14" to 15" tires.

I have 5 new Maxxis sitting in my garage ready for the switch.

BTW, I keep my tires off the ground in the off season. The tires inflation is checked before every trip. I did just buy a TPMS for the TT as a blowout on this will tear up more stuff.
I too keep a sharp eye on tire pressures for all of my vehicles, that and proper rotation (when possible) are key to tire longevity. The TPMS on the DW's car came in very handy one day when she picked up a nail, it was impossible to tell by looking at the tire that it lost quite a bit of air. It was right on the edge of a pretty new tire, so unrepairable. Well, ponying up for a new tire is better than a blowout on the freeway!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #16

Some observations:

I do think that tire care and being persistent with inflation pressure is the number one thing you can do to prevent explosions--followed closely by not overloading and keeping to 65 MPH with most STs. I recently upgraded to the Sailun S637 because I wanted a G/75 MPH rated tire. Overkill is good. Lastly, a word on TPMS-- in fact, a lesson I just learned this past weekend while coming home from Ocean City bike week: invest in metal valve stems! I bought the new tires in July, I also bought "metal" valve stems, but they had the rubber base. After roughly 15 hours of driving at mostly interstate speeds, one of those valve stems ripped through, causing the TPMS system to become very unhappy with the state of affairs. So go for the screw-in metal stems, and balance the tires after that. I don't believe it's necessary to rebalance the tires after you put the sensors on. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Some observations:

I do think that tire care and being persistent with inflation pressure is the number one thing you can do to prevent explosions--followed closely by not overloading and keeping to 65 MPH with most STs. I recently upgraded to the Sailun S637 because I wanted a G/75 MPH rated tire. Overkill is good. Lastly, a word on TPMS-- in fact, a lesson I just learned this past weekend while coming home from Ocean City bike week: invest in metal valve stems! I bought the new tires in July, I also bought "metal" valve stems, but they had the rubber base. After roughly 15 hours of driving at mostly interstate speeds, one of those valve stems ripped through, causing the TPMS system to become very unhappy with the state of affairs. So go for the screw-in metal stems, and balance the tires after that. I don't believe it's necessary to rebalance the tires after you put the sensors on. Good luck!
That's what I forgot to do, get metal valve stems! If I may, what kind did you end up getting and where's the best place to find them? I did a search on Amazon but didn't find what I thought was the right item.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #18

Quote:
That's what I forgot to do, get metal valve stems! If I may, what kind did you end up getting and where's the best place to find them? I did a search on Amazon but didn't find what I thought was the right item.
I did the Amazon/eBay thing too, at first--until I realized that there was no way of knowing if any given stem would fit my wheels without having it right there to test fit. So, I went to my local tire place, they had a screw-in stem for a larger opening but nothing that would fit my wheel. The guy then advised me to check out the Goodyear Wingfoot commercial tire shop. They had to figure out what worked, they found a newer Ford style screw-on that would fit with the slight curve on my wheel at the stem.

So that's what I'd do...hit a commercial truck tire shop and see what they can find to fit your wheel. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #19

I made the same decision as DavidBo. We purchased our trailer in Utah and hauled it 700 miles home. The trailer pulled well but the ride felt "spongy". When we arrived home I pulled the trailer around the street to line it up with our driveway my DW again commented on the spongy nature of the tires. After discussing it for a few days the DW stated that she would feel better if we replaced the Castle Rocks. So our new Roo is sporting four new Goodyear Endurance load range D tires.

Took a short trip to the local mountains last weekend and the rig tracked well and felt more stable. Most importantly the DW was happy.

This is our third trailer and each started off with the stock Chinese tires. The tires on the first two trailers lasted 4-5 years with no issues. These Castle Rocks were just different.
Forellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #20

On the TPMS. I have the flow thoughts which are nice but they do stick out beyond the rims. I just had a set of Endurance tires put on my trailer. I also had heavy duty stainless valve stems put on as well to carry the weight of the sensors. The tires were balanced with the sensors in place. While they were at it I had them change all of the wheel bearings to Timkins. I feel a lot better with this set up.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote