Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #1

Goodyear Endurance How much better Ride

If you have Goodyear Endurance and had China Bombs .... How much better is the ride .... Yes I know China Bombs need to go .... Please comment on the ride improvement.... Thanks Frank ... I will say again I know the Castle Rock need to go ...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #2

On my Shamrock 233s the change to Endurance greatly reduced subtle sway, such as when passing or getting passed by a semi.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #3

Frank,

Frankly (a little pun) when I researched this issue I thought folks who thought they could notice a difference were wanting to believe there was a difference and therefore could feel it.

No B.S. I went from Castle pops to Goodyear Endurance and felt the difference instantly. There is less up and down movement and less subtle side to side motion.

I went up a load range so there is that difference but if you examine the Castle pops next to an Endurance there is simply a huge difference.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #4

There are good Chinese tires. And bad.

First generation Goodyears were crappy. Just as bad. New ones are better. Not a lot of data.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #5

So, after two blowouts within 100 miles, let's just say my anxiety notched down a few levels may play into the great feel. I think the fact that I got 2mpg better confirms they roll better. I'll never own a trailer with china bombs again.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Just feeling the two side by side I could see why the GYs run better.. They are heavy! I'd bet one weighted more than two of the castle rocks that came stock. They also run much cooler according to the tpms.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #7

I replaced the "Double King" (china bomb) tires on my Silverback with Goodyear endurance last year after seeing several cracks in the sidewalls. They were three years old. The Goodyear's have been across the country to Yellowstone, and to The Smokey Mts. I have noticed the trailer dose handle better and fuel usage has been better.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

We replaced the Castle Rock 14” load range C with GY Endurance 14” load range D. We immediately made a trip from Texas to Florida. 1450 miles. The GY seemed to track a lot better. With 65 Psi in the GY I got better mpg as well. I am sold it was the right thing to do.
morganrc1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #9

Not to hijack, but for those that replaced them...did you take your rig to a tire shop or an RV shop to have this done? It seems I recall reading that some may have even removed the wheels 1 (single axle) or 2 (dual axle) at time and took just the rims/tires in to have them replaced and then reinstalled themselves.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #10

Came back from a trip to Branson, MO and on the way home, my TPMS indicated that I had lower pressure in the left rear tire. We stopped and inflate to correct psi. continued on our way home with no other issues. Went out to the trailer in the morning and the right rear tire was completely flat. Reinflated it and called my Goodyear tire store and they could have the tires for me that afternoon. I had to help them change the tires. They could not get their floor jack under the frame because of their floor lift was in the way. I had my 5 ton bottle jack in the trailer and we used that to lift it off the ground. The flat tire had a nail in the sidewall. replaced all four tires with Goodyear Endurance!

Went camping last week and could not believe the difference how it handled.
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #11

I took them off and took them to a Goodyear dealer
Old 06-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #12

Castle Rock to Goodyear Endurance. I didn't change the load range. The TT rides a lot better on the GE tires, the sidewall seems better then the CR tires. A lot less sway. With the Husky centerline and the GE tires, no white knuckle driving.
I took the tires off at home and took them to my local repair shop. It was a lot easier then hooking up the TT, driving to the shop and then maneuvering around in their small parking lot.
They tried to give me the CR tires back because the tires were still "new" and they said I could get some use out of them, I said "no thanks you can keep them and re-sell them".
I have Goodyear brand tires on both of my vehicles (TV and the VW), I've used Gdyr brand for many years and never had issues.
LivingToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #13

Had mine replaced and balanced at a tire shop. Much better tracking with the GE. Can't say that I noticed an improvement in mileage, but ride does seem smoother.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Not to hijack, but for those that replaced them...did you take your rig to a tire shop or an RV shop to have this done? It seems I recall reading that some may have even removed the wheels 1 (single axle) or 2 (dual axle) at time and took just the rims/tires in to have them replaced and then reinstalled themselves.
I had my GY Endurance put on at Discount Tire Co. No worries.
morganrc1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #15

I took the wheels off the trailer and took them to a local tire shop. Went from Constancy load range C's to Carlisle Radial Trail HD load range D's to the Goodyear Endurance load range Ds. Obviously the Constancy tires that came on the trailer were china trash. They lasted 2 months before I replaced them. The Carlisle's ran ok, but constantly had to get them replaced due to shifting belts. So far the Goodyear's have been perfect, much better tread wear, track better, less felt sway. So, yes, between the Carlisle's and Goodyear's the GYE's win all day. Put them on my bass boat trailer as well. Couldn't be happier.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #16

We took off the 2 year old Castle Rocks from out 2017 1905 Mini-light and went with the Goodyears up on load range and trailer tows much better with no sway and gas mileage improved Running them at 65lbs

Be safe out there
2017 Mini-lite 1905
2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn 5.7 Hemi
Fivebuccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #17

With only 800 miles and reading all the bad reports I went to my local tire store and bought 5 GYE. Total out the door for 5 with balance, tax, new valve stems and 15 dollars for shop supplies ( whatever that is ) was $747.
Wife and I have a 500 mile round trip coming soon. Sure would have paid the extra when we ordered our rockwood 2606ws to get better tires but it's not a option.
Greg in Michigan
Ps we took the trailer to the tire shop in Kalamazoo. Been buying our tires there for 25 years
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
I prefer to take the wheels off myself and take them to the shop, I've heard too many horror stories about the technicians getting happy with the impact wrenches. I've personally seen lug nuts stripped on the studs from over-torquing. The only place I trust is the tire shop at the military base where I work, the same guy has been running that shop for years and he knows what he is doing.
Taking a trailer to a regular tire shop is risky because it's unlikely that they'd know how to properly jack it up, especially if you have the torsion axles that Forest River are particularly fond of. There's a good chance you could get your trailer back with bent axles.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #19

Switched to Goodyear Endurance tires on our Cardinal 3250 fifth wheel about 1-1/2 years ago. Most notable improvement was the lack of sway from crosswinds and 18-wheelers passing us on freeways. The Endurance tires definitely have stiffer sidewalls than our OEM tires, and it makes for a more relaxing drive. We always use tire covers on each tire when sitting idle, even when camping. Tire degradation from sunlight and smog is far more of a concern for us than mileage and tire wear.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #20
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
If you have Goodyear Endurance and had China Bombs .... How much better is the ride .... Yes I know China Bombs need to go .... Please comment on the ride improvement.... Thanks Frank ... I will say again I know the Castle Rock need to go ...
Frank, the way you've phrased your question, every response will be based on seat-of-the-pants perception rather than a technical analysis or comparison. At the very least, I would discount any impressions from someone who increased the load range of their tires when they switched to the Goodyears. If you upgraded to a higher load range but stuck with Castle Rock tires I would expect a better feel by virtue of a stiffer sidewall.

A technical comparison would be of more value and a lot less subjective. Comparing tire construction and composition of would be better. Also, what are the differences in quality control processes between the Castle Rock factory and the US Goodyear factory where the Endurance is manufactured.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote