Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #1

Question Goodyear HMG 2020 tire?

Anybody use above tire? Found lots of boat guys use them online but cant seem to dig up many TT users. Been trying to find replacements for my cheap load range C tires and pickings are slim for 14" rims.

Kuhmo 857, nobody has them locally. Discount can order them in but price was insane and they wont match Tire Rack. Was well over $700 OTD. I tried three different Discount Tire stores to see if I could get a better deal. Other Kuhmo dealers cant get them at all for some reason.

Maxxis 8008 - same deal but worse. Nobody can get them period even Discount who by friend bought them from last year. Not sure what the deal is.

Continental Vanco 2 was brought up on other forums in a smaller 185/R size (I have 205/75) but those are only found at Tire Rack on closeout. Nobody local can get them.

I called two of Tire Racks preferred installers and they both told me they would do it but there is no warranty through them, its all with Tire Rack and the labor prices were higher vs. buying from them.

What they offered was the Goodyear HMG 2020 tire in a 205/75-14. Load range D, 8 ply, 2040# rating at 65psi. Also, big bonus - Made in Canada!

Guy told me they were just like the old U-Haul trailer tires, Goodyear used to make these for U-Haul (they might still, he wasnt sure). Said they were pretty much bulletproof to survive all the idiots towing the U-Haul trailers everywhere at any speed they felt like with whatever load they felt they could carry. Its the only tire they sell for the local guys with big money bass boats and I know those boats cost way more than my TT. He has never had an issue with one other than normal wear.

Price was well over $100 cheaper than the Kuhmo's installed, balanced and with high pressure metal valve stems.

If you look online they show an old, crazy off road version of the tire. The ones they sell are the standard ribbed zig-zag highway pattern. You can find one photo of that model in Google images.

I did look at possibly going up to a 15" rim/tire to open up more options but space is tight on the SP295! My dealer didnt think I'd have enough room to do it safely.
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote