Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #1

Goodyear in The News

So, Goodyear takes it square on the chin!

I wish I knew what tires that MH driver was using.

From today's RV Business breaking news:

Goodyear Loses Appeal in Motorhome Tire Suit | RV Business
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #2

The downside to this story is the long trail through the legal system. The injured parties have waited for 12 years for justice. One can only hope that they did not have any medical needs that were not met due to lack of funds or coverages. It may not be over if Goodyear is able to continue to appeal.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

I wish I knew what tires that MH driver was using.
G159 model of tire
Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 AM   #4

Goodyear Marathon praise

Well, after a great deal of discussion both verbal and on here, I chose Goodyear Marathon trailer tires. Have a heavy TT...Wildcat T28RKS, weighs 8000lb dry and over 9000 when fully loaded . We are in the middle of a 15000km trip of which 1500km is gravel. We are finished with the gravel portion and NO flats. I'm impressed as gravel roads with random axles are notorious for flats on the trailing axle. Just sayin......like my decision and Woukd recommend Marathons any day.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Ready to Go

After the damage Goodyear Marathon cause on my Sanibel.. not once but twice I would not touch them if they were free. Just my personal experience, 1st time shame on you the second time was shame on me for not knowing better. I travel much safer and worry free with my Michelin XPS RIBS LT235/85 16R/E. I switched out all 5 tires for peace of mind.

2001 F250 SD 7.3 Turbo
2013 Sanibel 39' 5th wheel.
JeffLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing, very unusual case. The fact that Goodyear must automatically produce “must disclose in all future lawsuits how it withheld information from a Tucson family”, in all interrogatories, in any and all civil litigation is more less unprecedented.

As significant, the punitive damages were levied against defense counsel. More than likely independent defense counsel.

IMO, this combination will have a significant impact on future discovery and defense strategy for any civil action(s) brought against Goodyear.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLynn View Post
After the damage Goodyear Marathon cause on my Sanibel.. not once but twice I would not touch them if they were free. Just my personal experience, 1st time shame on you the second time was shame on me for not knowing better. I travel much safer and worry free with my Michelin XPS RIBS LT235/85 16R/E. I switched out all 5 tires for peace of mind.

I did exactly the same. Although thankfully we did not have a blowout. We luckily noticed it just before out trip. One of the tires had separated internally and was bulging. Feel much more confident with the Michelin tires. Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #8

I have Goodyear Marathons on my Surveyor SV291 and I was expecting to not have any tire related issues. Boy, was I wrong. We went to the lake on July 4, had one go flat, luckily a motorist passed by and told us before it disintegrated. No fun changing a tire on a busy interstate. I put on the spare which was another Marathon, looked new, had good pressure. We went to the beach just this past weekend and on the way back a blowout about 70 miles from home. It did significant damage to the camper in the wheel well. So now, I have to fix that.
Those tires are coming off. I will not go anywhere on them again and am researching what is the best tire to buy.
If blowouts are that common and I have to spend a lot of time on the side of the road risking life and limb, I'll find another hobby. First time Good Sam took care of it, but it took 3 hours and we weren't even in a remote area. Second time my son and I changed it rather than wait.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53jimc View Post
I have Goodyear Marathons on my Surveyor SV291 and I was expecting to not have any tire related issues. Boy, was I wrong. We went to the lake on July 4, had one go flat, luckily a motorist passed by and told us before it disintegrated. No fun changing a tire on a busy interstate. I put on the spare which was another Marathon, looked new, had good pressure. We went to the beach just this past weekend and on the way back a blowout about 70 miles from home. It did significant damage to the camper in the wheel well. So now, I have to fix that.
Those tires are coming off. I will not go anywhere on them again and am researching what is the best tire to buy.
If blowouts are that common and I have to spend a lot of time on the side of the road risking life and limb, I'll find another hobby. First time Good Sam took care of it, but it took 3 hours and we weren't even in a remote area. Second time my son and I changed it rather than wait.
IMO, LT's tires are best, if possible. If not, the only ST tire worth owning are Maxxis. I would also move a rating or two higher as the Mfg.'s tends to install tires right at their weight capacity rating.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #10

My last GY Marathons were on my boat trailer... The number of troubles with those tires made those the LAST GY Marathons I'll ever own.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #11

Just starting a 3 month trip to the east coast 2 weeks ago and had only gone 250 miles when the first Goodyear Marathon blew causing significant damage to the passenger side of my FW. Turned around to head home and had gone 120 miles when the second Marathon on the same side blew. Waited 4 1/2 hours in the Nevada heat for Good Sam technician (?) to show up with a replacement tire. Needless to say, I'm replacing those tires with LT tires, possibly Goodyear G614's. I also filed a complaint with www.safercar.gov.

2014 Cardinal 3450RL
2011 Ford F350 SD DRW
F.R.O.G. Members
jackdn0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #12

had a goodyear eagle blow a big bubble at 6 months...done in goodyear
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #13

I had the Goodyear marathons from the factory. We had three tires failed in a weeks time. We upgraded to the G614's and so far it's been good. Goodyear paid for the damage caused by the Marathon tires. I always check and adjust air pressure and wheel torque before we even move. I always check tires at a stop while we are traveling. How can a E range tire load being at 80 psi carry less than 300 lbs where the G614's are a 110 psi tire and 14 ply tire only carry 300 lbs than the Marathon tires? I think that they are grossly over rated. Speed and temperature also plays a role in tires and also load. I am very aware of this topic. I think Marathon tires are just plain crappie tires. Recall them.😡
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote