Old 06-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #31
Commercial Member
Tire Service Description and DOT date

I see no reason to not go with GY or Carslile.

Two things to look for

1. The DOT "born on date" Last 4 digits of the serial with Year and week number
Tire Rack has good document if you are not clear on how to read DOT serial

2. Best yet would be a tire with a Speed Symbol molded right after or very near the size.
Another good page with info at Tire Rack. See "Service Description" Technical terms for tire engineers are not "Load Rating & Speed Rating" but Load Index and Speed Symbol but close enough.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety.
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #32
I'm running Marathons. Have about 18000KM on them over two seasons. Included in that about 1600KM of gravel. Always run at max cold temp 80LB and check pressure once a week. So far so good. Wondering if anyone has thoughts on rotation traiker tires. Oh and BTW these tires are rated at max 60MPH so I keep that in mind which is plenty fast for me.

Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #33
My snowmobile trailer is about 3600 pounds fully loaded and came with load range C tires on 15 inch rims same as my 8500 pound TT.

I tow the enclosed snowmobile trailer at 73 - 75 mph without a thought. Never had a tire issue.

I mostly tow the camper at 65-70 and have tread loss issues. It just seems there isn't enough safety margin on ST tires the mfg puts on. I would think a LR E tire inflated to 50 psi would be much more reliable on most trailers

missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #34
I would get the Carlisle. Can't remember one blowout thread in the last few years using Carlisles. Just this weekend picture posted of blown Maxxis. I know there are a bunch of people using Carlisles since Discount Tire is everywhere and they really push them. Nothing against Maxxis but there are other great tires are out there.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #35
BIG Carlisle fan

I have a long history with Carlisle tires, both business and RV pleasure. Wouldn't think of buying anything else.
David Cournoyer
2015 F250 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum
6.7L Powerstroke V-8 Diesel
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3001w Diamond
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #36
I drove the Carlisles for over three years with no problem.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #37
When I bought my Goodyear UniSteels to replace the TowMasters, I also asked about the Sailuns due to the cost of the Goodyear. My tire dealer did not recommend Sailuns - said they were more of the same if not worse. Look at the weight of the tires, good tires weigh considerably more IMO.
I agree with reporting the failed tires but in most cases, when tire failure happens, you are on the road to somewhere and just want to get back on the road and get rid of the bad memory. After all, this just ruined our vacation or our return trip home. If the NHTSA really cared, they would be testing these tires and seeing them fail at an unacceptable rate without us having to go through all the pain.
2014 FR Crusader 315RST
2014 Ford XCabSD F250 6.7L
4x4 Lariat
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #38
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Lost 2 Carlisle G rated in Missouri....! entering state, 1 leav'n.....Had 2 on front axle replaced with Hercules G rated ( only st tires they had and only 2 of those), then when next Carlisle let go, limped in to a small Walmart, and the only 2 they had were D rated Goodyear, I will be doing a tire test on the way ....from Missouri to N.C., then back to home....Oh, the Carlisle's were old, but I did have one only 8 months old, so now it's the spare...
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #39
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #40
Just had the 225/75R15 Carlisle installed on my Travel Trailer, Have only gone from Tucson to Venture, to San Diego and back to Tucson. Had no issues, the trailer tows much better than the factory 6 ply tires. I went with the E (10 Ply) total overkill for my trailer. I also put a tire psi monitoring system on them. Will see how they do.

meopm1 is offline   Reply With Quote