Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

GREASE,GREASE and more GREASE

If anyone is having any problems with pulsating brakes or brakes locking up on trailers with Lippert Components and braking systems,check and see if your wheel bearing seals are leaking onto the braking system. My 2 month old trailer with less than a 1000 miles is at the dealership for the third time for faulty,pulsating brakes and now they are locking up on wet roadways. I have contacted Lippert right before Thanksgiving and waiting for a response. This condition is a huge safety issue and needs corrected. So if your having any brake issues similar to,mine. Check your brakes for grease. I hope they can fix it right before somebody gets hurt.. I have attached some photos so you can see what I am talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131129_192852.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	43275

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131129_192832.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	43274
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #2

Is that factory grease or has the TT been greased since purchased?
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #3

my silverback did the same thing. i picked it up new and was not happy with the brakes. i took it apart and found all four seals leaking. i picked up new seals and cleaned everything and it has been good for 2 seasons now.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

As sad as it may be it looks like some one will need to take Lippert to court before they do something....
Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Was that as delivered or were the hubs pulled for some reason?
Did you have your dealer lube the hubs? Perhaps they used an air grease gun.

VERY odd for all 4 to leak.
One maybe, but four?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #6

The first dealership indicated that they found 3 out of the 4 hubs with grease on the brakes, but indicated that they found nothing wrong with the seals. They cleaned them up and when I was about 50 miles out on my next trip. They started to pulse. When i got to my destination I went to the dealership and they found 1 hub full of grease. These are the photos I posted. I think they should replace everything. Especially since it is a new. Trailer .
Old 11-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #7

This problem has been present since day 1. Along with other issues. I'm not enjoying my new purchase. 2 ppayments,I towed it 4 times, 3 were for repairs. I think I might also qualify for the lemon law????.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #8

Today I kicked up my trailer from the dealership after a complete replacement of the braking system,minus the drums. LIPPERT replaced the parts due to the defective inner grease seals letting in the wheel bearing grease. I'm scepital that this will solve the problem, but the service manager indicated that the seal is definitely different than the ones they took out. The brakes seem to work fine on the way home,which was a 40 mile drive. I guess we will see In the spring if the problem was corrected, since it is winter time now and its time for storage..
Old 01-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #9

Many new Columbus owners are experiencing the same thing. I am wondering of there are many more people with Lippert axle systems having the same problem. Might be time for those of us with the problem to "unite" somehow and get the cheap Chinese grease seals and bearing issue solved. We cannot get it done for tires but this may be different.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Today I kicked up my trailer from the dealership after a complete replacement of the braking system,minus the drums. LIPPERT replaced the parts due to the defective inner grease seals letting in the wheel bearing grease. I'm scepital that this will solve the problem, but the service manager indicated that the seal is definitely different than the ones they took out. The brakes seem to work fine on the way home,which was a 40 mile drive. I guess we will see In the spring if the problem was corrected, since it is winter time now and its time for storage..
Sorry to hear about your brakes something needs to be done before someone gets hurt
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #11

6000 and 7000 lb lippert axle with sure lube hub has issues on various brands. Surf around and you will read it over and over again. It is VERY common to have all four fail at the same time with lows miles say 2 or 3 thousand. On other forums I have read Lippert ships new seals and brake parts to dealers for warranty install and the seals fail again within hundreds to 2 thousand miles.

The double lip inner seal is not holding the grease in for whatever reason. People are so ticked off they are filing complaints with NHTSA website in hopes to get a recall or at least an investigation.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #12

If it's Lippert, look for trouble. I have pulled three wheels off checking break shoes and wheel bearings, and on two of the wheels pulled the outer bearing race was turning in the hub. I purchased the trailer in Aug. 2012, this is the first time I have checked brake shoes and bearings, and Lippert said I was late in checking, (only 6 mths). The 1st wheel I pulled had a leaking seal and small amount of grease on brake shoe. My warranty was out in Aug. 2013.
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
DDC

Same as an unsafe car, report it to the DOT or appropriate government dept, they have to check into it and they will also know how many people before you have made complaints, they will order Lippert to do a recall if or when there are a few tell Lippert you intend to do this, they may look at things differently.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:18 AM   #14

A few things will cause this.

1. Over packing the hubs with grease. Some feel that they have to completely fill the center of the hub with grease, that leaves insufficient air space for air to compress. At the loads we run the bearings create a lot of heat, that heat raises pressure within the hub, without air space the grease pushes out somewhere, the seal is the weakest link.

2. Poor seal pressure against the spindle surface. Basically, the seal is too big for the spindle or the spindle was cut too small.

3. Poor design. Yep, wrong seal speced.

4. My personal opinion. Poor machining of the hub. Notice, grease leaked everywhere except for roughly 10:00-2:00 in the picture? Well, that's odd, right?

Here's what I think is up. The rear bearing isn't machined true with the seal pocket, the seal is basically wobbling in a set pattern. The area of the seal with adequate pressure hasn't leaked. Inadequate pressure? Pouring grease.

It needs new hubs, I'll go money that they're still losing grease.

Course now once I get home I'll want to pull my hubs.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
If it's Lippert, look for trouble. I have pulled three wheels off checking break shoes and wheel bearings, and on two of the wheels pulled the outer bearing race was turning in the hub. I purchased the trailer in Aug. 2012, this is the first time I have checked brake shoes and bearings, and Lippert said I was late in checking, (only 6 mths). The 1st wheel I pulled had a leaking seal and small amount of grease on brake shoe. My warranty was out in Aug. 2013.
This is what some who use a grease gun to "pack" their bearings will never see.
I would check with the CO. and see if they man up or you are going to take the full hit.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #16

Found this on the Columbus RV Group FB page today. Seems the NHTSA has given Lippert and FR until May 9th to provide ALL the documentation regarding this VERY SERIOUS ISSUE! More to follow as it becomes available!
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM452994/INIS-PE14008-59099.pdf
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM452993/INIM-PE14008-59098.pdf
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM452560/INOA-PE14008-6919.PDF
If you haven't filed a compliant with the NHTSA, it's not too late! Please go to their website and file, even if you have had the repairs done, it is imperative that we get ALL the information out there to hopefully force a recall and prevent someone from getting seriously injured and/or worse, killed. THANKS!
papaj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I just had mine in the shop to check on this, luckily mine were not affected. It is a real big issue now!!!
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #18

Having had all four of mine go out, WITHOUT ANY indications, this is a real serious subject with me! And no, this IS NOT someone forgetting to wipe the grease off the axle before installing the hub as suggested by a Lippert rep, it is not the dealership using a high power grease gun or forcing grease in; IT'S THE POS SEALS that Lippert is using. There has already been an accident attributed to brake failure WITH THEM COVERED in grease, so it needs to be addressed now. I for one will not let this just be swept under the rug by Lippert and will do whatever it takes to keep this in the proactive vs reactive mindset! I hope everyone will do the same!! Be safe and happy travels!
papaj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #19
Happy Keystone Owner

Just got home over the weekend from my 1st long distant trip with the new Coachmen, 2000 miles round trip. Brakes pulsed and rocked the trailer side to side every time I came to a stop. Sometimes locking up 1 or 2 tires. Pulled the drums today and they are at NAPA now being resurfaced. Also, found 2 seals blown but the grease had not reached the brake surfaces, just happened to be the 2 drums that seemed to be warped.
Yeah, I know it's all under warranty but it's not worth the trip.
Other than this the only other problem is the cabinet hinges....2 piece hinge pins and the ones facing downward fall out onto the floor.

I'll save my NAPA receipt just in case Lippert does a recall.
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
If you have another problem, report it to your state's attorney general's office.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote