Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
You do know who owns Dexter Axle...right?

If not I'll tell you...

Lippert!

OK, great. So what.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #62
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
OK, great. So what.
Well..

When someone told you to contact Lippert, you touted "I have Dexter Axles!".

So now you know that by contacting Dexter you are contacting Lippert.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Well..

When someone told you to contact Lippert, you touted "I have Dexter Axles!".

So now you know that by contacting Dexter you are contacting Lippert.

I think you are mistaken...

Dexter Axle is part of Dexko Global... I can find no connection to Lippert whatsoever in a quick search going through their websites, other than that they are both members of RVIA.

Lippert has their own axle division, and their axles are stickered "Lippert Components Inc."

Lippert bought Dexter Chassis Group back around 2005, which is NOT Dexter Axle.

Dexter Axle is Not owned by Lippert.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 09-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #64

Dexter bought out

http://sterling-group.com/2012/11/01...ndustries-inc/

I had to highlight the type on this website as it blended in with there background on the web page.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
http://sterling-group.com/2012/11/01...ndustries-inc/

I had to highlight the type on this website as it blended in with there background on the web page.

I'd bet that that's an old article from 2012, if you look at the url.

Dexter Axle : About
DEXKO
Bloomberg.com overview on DEXKO

Note: some of the people don't match if you compare between the DEXKO website and the Bloomberg piece... I would think that the DEXKO website would be more accurate.

Anyway, if you have Lippert axles, don't believe that you really have Dexter axles -- you don't. They're not the same.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 09-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #66
Senior Senior Member

I know this thread has devolved into one of a handful of never ending RV issues. These include things like gas/diesel and so on.
So I will jump in with my take.
When I bought our rig a few years back, I was convinced by all the hype on here and elsewhere that China bearings were almost as self destructive as the China bomb tires.
So I went online and scoured the country and got some good old made in the USA bearings. Took some sleuthing.
The TT was only six months old and less than a couple thousand miles on her when I decided to get busy with the project.
I had previously secured the correct seals from Dexter for my axles. I also picked up a nice brass drift to drive out the old races together with a NAPA seal puller.
All the steps have been previously lined out so I will cut to the chase.
After seeing the first set of bearings and how well they were greased, I decided to skip the remaining 3 and just do the EZ lube procedure on them.
That is now my annual service on the bearings.
BTW the worst part of it was trying to pull the seal with the seal puller. Had to give up on that POS. Got online and learned the handy vise-grip method. I will get around to doing the others some day, I guess. I do carry what I need to do an emergency bearing job on the road, if necessary.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #67

Ditto. Your story mirrors mine on my first trailer with EZ Lube axles.

I thought to myself, "why am I wasting my time doing this?"

But like I said earlier, whatever floats your boat, have at it.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 09-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #68
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Actually, the OP was having trouble getting the coupler to click onto the zerk fitting and asked what he was doing wrong. He never asked about repacking, removing, spinning, or anything else that (in typical forum fashion) has been beaten to death in the ensuing 45 or so posts.
You are right, I got side-tracked. I worry that too many non-technical people will read "how easy" it is when it's not, being in Ontario's largest park we see all kinds of RV accidents on the road into and through it. During summer you'll see multiple boat trailers with the wheels leaning in at the top but the axles are straight. Most of these people never touch their bearings but some do. A neighbour 2 doors down in Huntsville tried doing his on TT repack (2 axles) after watching 1 utube video, he ended up calling his mechanic to come do it, 2 drums, 2 sets of shoes later it was done, $650 instead of $300, he'd got grease all over both drums and shoes. He'd seen me doing my boat trailer earlier and thought how easy it was!

If I can help save one persons life by indicating to nube back yard mechanics it is not as easy as some of us make it look then that's good.

But again, I lost sight of the ops question as I think a lot of us have.

Thanks for the reality check,
Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #69
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
wabakami … sorry for taking so long to reply. My son works on RV's in the KCMO area … my brother in the Tulsa area. I work on them on the side in the Wichita area. One our most repeated jobs is replacing brake linings on TT's and fivers that have been soaked in grease by owners or a few dealerships attempting to use the EZ Lube invention. If you read back, I didn't say the invention does not work … I just don't care for the odds of success nor do I care for pressing used grease into the front bearing. Some owners are at ease with the placebo that 4 or 5 pumps from the grease gun 2-3 times a year keeps them rolling down the road … you and I both know 5 pumps doesn't get you anywhere with the EZ Lube. I'm glad you and others chiming in here have had good luck with it. Like also mentioned … we're getting a bit astray from the OP's intent. "Not SO EZ Lube" always draws a good crowd of combatants.

Hey, I didn't think this would turn into a war zone either, shows me as being a nube to some of these discussions. But thanks for the comeback.

Have a great weekend, not many warm ones left up here in the Great White North!

Cheers,
Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #70
I'm Lost

[QUOTE=JohnD10;1927590]

I stood there to stuporvize the job just to make sure the tire 'expert' didn't jack the trailer up by the axle (which he would have done had I not stopped him from doing so).

And then I witnessed him grab the air-powered grease gun to to give each hub a blast of grease...to which I stopped him again!

My point is this...

Unless you are having a real shop that you trust do anything with your axles...stand there and watch every move they make!

John, I love your fall gif, not seen that one before!

Also like your term "stuporvize". I do this every time I put anything into someone else's hands to service (well almost).
Oil changes, If I don't watch they will not grease all nine grease nipples, non-factory obviously, all replacement front end stuff and 3 on the replacement driveshaft custom built in Sudbury.

I didn't stuporvize last September at an oil change, they missed all zerks and put summer wash in the washers, come November (when I found out) my washers were froze up, had to run engine with blanket on hood to thaw out the tank and lines.

Good advice,
Geoff
Old 09-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #71
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Some guns have a collar that you screw to tighten onto a zerk.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #72

I started thinking about my experience with the wheels on our “new to us” 5er after purchasing it this spring. It’s between two and three years old.

Before taking a trip with it I pulled the wheels and found both seals on the right side failed. There was an adequate amount of grease in the hubs but they had not been pumped full. Before reassembly (after cleaning), I pumped grease into the axles and there was no grease in the axle passages. The zerks had never been used. I don’t think the PO ever touched the axles.

My point is that if I had pumped grease into the axles without looking inside the drum first, I would have assumed that I blew the seals out using the EZ-Lube. AL-KO calls it Ultrulube. I wonder how many EZ-Lube failures are due to bad or damaged seals from the factory.

I installed new self-adjusting brake assemblies, Timken bearings and Dexter seals. (Had GY Endurance tires put on before we brought it home.) After using a bearing packer, I added grease after assembly using the EZ-Lube. No grease got past the seals. I checked.

Also balanced the wheels while I had them off.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #73

Quote:
I didn't stuporvize last September at an oil change, they missed all zerks and put summer wash in the washers, come November (when I found out) my washers were froze up, had to run engine with blanket on hood to thaw out the tank and lines.
Good help is hard to find,

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
Good help is hard to find,
At the wages the Lube Joints want to pay it's going to stay that way too. Most jobs like that start at minimum wage and if you do a good job you might get a $0.25 per hour raise either on your annual anniversary or the first of every year, depending.

In order to keep the wages down a lot of these employers dont do anything to lessen their labor pool like requiring drug tests.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #75
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
You are right, I got side-tracked. I worry that too many non-technical people will read "how easy" it is when it's not, being in Ontario's largest park we see all kinds of RV accidents on the road into and through it. During summer you'll see multiple boat trailers with the wheels leaning in at the top but the axles are straight. Most of these people never touch their bearings but some do. A neighbour 2 doors down in Huntsville tried doing his on TT repack (2 axles) after watching 1 utube video, he ended up calling his mechanic to come do it, 2 drums, 2 sets of shoes later it was done, $650 instead of $300, he'd got grease all over both drums and shoes. He'd seen me doing my boat trailer earlier and thought how easy it was!

If I can help save one persons life by indicating to nube back yard mechanics it is not as easy as some of us make it look then that's good.

Geoff

Thanks for being so gracious! I wasn't picking on you by any means. Yours was simply the post that tried to take us back to what the OP originally wanted to know and I took the shot.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Certainly not front wheels on fwd cars but the rear wheels often still use the old cup and cone roller bearing style on tears. Fronts on 2wd pickups too but 4wd's are sealed.

Depends on what kind of vehicle you have.

Chevy Silverado 2500HD which is pretty popular still uses "packable" front wheel bearings on 2WD's.
Nope, haven't seen a serviceable tapered roller bearing on the front end of a GM in years! In fact, on our 2500HD I have been known to pull the wheel speed sensor and inject a good quality grease into the sealed ball bearings, 200K and I am still on original hubs, pretty good considering these things are famous for wearing out.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #77
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Last time I had to change a wheel bearing on a car or truck was in 1986 on my 1979 Volkswagon Rabbit.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
Nope, haven't seen a serviceable tapered roller bearing on the front end of a GM in years! In fact, on our 2500HD I have been known to pull the wheel speed sensor and inject a good quality grease into the sealed ball bearings, 200K and I am still on original hubs, pretty good considering these things are famous for wearing out.

Is your 2500HD four wheel drive?

So you can gain access to the bearing by removing the speed sensor... I'm assuming that you mean the slotted disc?

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 09-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post

Geoff

Good one . non technical people or people that have no real experience wrenching should not be pumping in grease , pulling bearings , or doing lot's of other stuff mentioned on this forum , yet they think they can watch a you-tube are read somewhere on line and do it themselves . most should just pay to have it done .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
with the sealed bearing my 2500hd had over 180,000 and just replaced them cause i felt just the slightest movement on the drivers side . So tell me how do you get grease in the sealed bearing . very thin rubber seal and if you use a syringe now you have a hole for grease to come out . So unless grease is coming out of the bearing it will only hold so much , and if it's loosing grease then it time for new bearings . i found a US company that makes the sealed bearing for the chevy 2500,3500 etc i think it was united bearing or something close . i think 180,000 miles is great
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle