Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #81
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Thanks for being so gracious! I wasn't picking on you by any means. Yours was simply the post that tried to take us back to what the OP originally wanted to know and I took the shot.

Thank you,

Have a great Sunday.
Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Good one . non technical people or people that have no real experience wrenching should not be pumping in grease , pulling bearings , or doing lot's of other stuff mentioned on this forum , yet they think they can watch a you-tube are read somewhere on line and do it themselves . most should just pay to have it done .
Exactly. There was some one who posted on here... can't remember who...that pumped grease into his EZ lube that didn't even rotate the wheel while doing it. Even if you are going to use this system, at least read the directions! That person should be hiring a shop to maintain their axle.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Exactly. There was some one who posted on here... can't remember who...that pumped grease into his EZ lube that didn't even rotate the wheel while doing it. Even if you are going to use this system, at least read the directions! That person should be hiring a shop to maintain their axle.

Perhaps, the person referenced in the quote above also owns axles of another manufacture with the otherwise exact same system of lubrication... that states rotating the tire is NOT necessary. Same system, different manufacturer. Do you think the axle itself knows any difference?

Perhaps you should hire a shop to do your work if your own mechanical aptitude/ability and life experience is at such a low level that you find yourself unable to or are lacking the confidence and understanding to perform such a basic maintenance function without first consulting the owners manual.

Some people, perhaps even the poster quoted above, have an incredibly difficult time coming to grip with the facts that there is more than one way to perform the same operation at times... that their way is not the ONLY way... and most importantly, that they really are just a legend in their OWN mind.

Mr. Babock, I am finished bickering with you, I have better things to do. In the grand scheme of things, there are much more pressing matters than spin/don't spin the wheel while you pump in a couple strokes of grease into a wheel hub. If you would like to keep sniping on me, well, that's just a reflection on you. If you ever find yourself with a problem that isn't addressed in your owners manual that has you stumped, I'd be happy to try help you out and work on a solution together.

And lastly, I truly do wish you a good day today, and an even better one tomorrow. Peace.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #84

LOL..that was you huh? Why should I be surprised!
Old 09-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #85

Quote:
LOL..that was you huh? Why should I be surprised!
Ah... The babcock strikes again
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Ah... The babcock strikes again
Ah...the stalker!
Old 09-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #87

Quote:
Ah...the stalker!
I see you are continuing to win friends and influence people.......LOL!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #88

The whole point of the ez lube axle is that you don’t have to take it apart to lube the bearings. One caution is that you should spin the tire while lubing, otherwise you can blow the seal. Sounds hard but it only takes a minute or two to jack the wheel. I can do all 4 wheels in 30 min.
dad924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad924 View Post
The whole point of the ez lube axle is that you don’t have to take it apart to lube the bearings. One caution is that you should spin the tire while lubing, otherwise you can blow the seal. Sounds hard but it only takes a minute or two to jack the wheel. I can do all 4 wheels in 30 min.
This is also a wonderful time to check the wheel and tire for any damage. Turning the wheel while lubing might just reveal a separation that's starting on the tire and you didn't notice it while it was just sitting there. Chances are you wouldn't notice it until a chunk of tire showed up in your rearview mirror.

On that note I've even spotted a screw/nail or two that were caught in the tread and hadn't created a leak yet.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
This is also a wonderful time to check the wheel and tire for any damage. Turning the wheel while lubing might just reveal a separation that's starting on the tire and you didn't notice it while it was just sitting there. Chances are you wouldn't notice it until a chunk of tire showed up in your rearview mirror.

On that note I've even spotted a screw/nail or two that were caught in the tread and hadn't created a leak yet.
This is also a wonderful time to inspect your brakes.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #91

I use a LockNLube grease gun fitting tip when I am greasing any of my zerk fittings. LockNLube is not cheap, but it has made my life easier and it makes sure the grease is going where it is supposed to go. It is also easy to remove from the zerk fitting.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Can't say i've ever heard that filling the entire cavity causes over heating . if the cavity stays empty it won't take long for the grease in the bearing to be spun out and bearing failure will be close behind . using the zerks between full packing of bearings is fine but you need to jack up the wheel and spin it while putting in grease .
X2!!

Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiotiGuy View Post
I use a LockNLube grease gun fitting tip when I am greasing any of my zerk fittings. LockNLube is not cheap, but it has made my life easier and it makes sure the grease is going where it is supposed to go. It is also easy to remove from the zerk fitting.
x10. I tried all sorts of grease gun tips...tight and loose. They all leaked out the side while pumping (unless you hold your mouth right...apparently)

This accessory to your grease gun is worth every penny for a job efficiency. Also, the positive lock on the zerk allows you to spin the wheel (Dexter's directions) while you pump with the other hand filling the entire hub with grease.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would encourage you to test the ezlube system. With the hub full of old grease, fill it with the new grease (use different color). When you don't see any of the old grease coming out then its done. Pull the hub apart remove the seal and inspect the bearings to confirm the new grease is fully packed in the bearing and all the old grease has been replaced. I was amazed how well it worked. One caveat, this does not preclude the inspection of bearings. My experience shows a new set of bearings every 10k-15k miles is about right. If you sense a loose hub or have consistent odd tire wear, check them more often..don't ask how I know.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiotiGuy View Post
Dave, I did not see your post until just now. I already sent the OP a PM about the LockNLube. As you say, not cheap, but you're buying the job being made easier, not the item I swear by mine. Worth every dollar.

https://locknlube.com/products/locknlube-grease-coupler

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:36 AM   #95

Just a little first hand experience. I blew the inner seal and caused grease to flow onto the drum surface, this is a very easy thing to do and you won't know it til time to stop. After that experience I always hand pack the bearings.
nsmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 AM   #96
rrg

Cool grease axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp82 View Post
OK so I am trying to use a grease gun, Performance tools W54204, on my Dexter EZ lube axle. It doesn't seem to click on to the zerk. When I pump the grease it appears to not enter the axle, but instead go around the zerk. What am I doing wrong?
LOL, Your not doing anything wrong. The cotter pin that holds the wheel bearing tight is too close to the zerk. Wipe the grease away so u can see the zerk. Be careful the dust cap is sharp .Just take a hammer and small drift to bend the cotter pin just enough to get grease gun on.

rrg
rrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #97

You need to watch the video on YouTube from Dexter themselves. The engineers designed this system to repack from the zerk and push/force the old grease around and out. I would recommend doing it exactly as the designers and engineers call for. What you are describing is old school techniques. The dexter axel technology is way past that.
Bdlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #98

Post zirk fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp82 View Post
OK so I am trying to use a grease gun, Performance tools W54204, on my Dexter EZ lube axle. It doesn't seem to click on to the zerk. When I pump the grease it appears to not enter the axle, but instead go around the zerk. What am I doing wrong?
zirk fitting probably clogged. remove fitting with wrench, and replace.
Moblo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #99

Re: Attaching the grease gun to the zerk...

Assuming you have a standard coupler (not a LockNLube)... you'll find the coupler attaches (& detaches) much easier if you use a 45 degree angle to do so. Also, if you don't have one, a flexible hose attachment (12-18") can be most helpful.

As others have mentioned, unscrewing the coupler from the hose / rod loosens the prongs on the coupler a bit, which can ease the coupling - but, if loosened too much, can allow grease to move right past the zerk, or out the threaded surface of the coupler. You can be assured that if this is happening, NO grease is getting into that fitting.

If you have a three-prong coupler, using the angled approach, use the gap between two of the prongs as the initial contact point between fitting and coupler, if needed.

The LockNLube coupler eliminates all of the above, being a 4-prong coupler, and having the latching mechanism to couple / decouple. I'm sure it's a great device. But I don't use one.

My problem at the time (a couple of years ago) was being able to find one at retail, and needing to get a vehicle back on the road quicker than ordering / waiting for it to be delivered. Once I found out the 'proper' way to attach the gun to a fitting, the standard couplers have served me well, since (e.g.; I don't ever think when I attach the gun, "gee, I really should get that LockNLube coupler"). In fact, I'd pretty much forgotten about it until this 10 page (and growing!) thread showed up (and, while somewhat interesting to read, most of the 10 pages are a bit off-topic, relative to the OP's question.)
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #100
Newly Retired

It’s posible that your Grease gun has a faulty coupler. Even a new one can be bad.
As far as the hub being full of grease being a problem. Grease will expand when it heats up, that is when will push out and onto your brakes. Pumping grease in, even with a hand operated grease gun, will push out and onto the breaks. Trust me, I did that!
Then I pulled the hubs, replaced the greased brake shoes, removed the fittings from the axle so no body could do that again.
I disagree with bearing repack being needed annually. Do it once properly and forget about it for several years. 3 to 5 easily.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle