Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

Greasing Bearings

Ok, question for all you expert / mechanical people.

I am trying to figure out how to grease my bearings on my new 2017 Grey Wolf 29TE camper. The below picture shows what my wheel look like. Is the fitting behind the center piece? If not, where is it located? How do I get to it? Also how do I find out what size bearings it takes as I would like to buy a spare bearing in case of roadside emergency (in hoping I could find someone to change them..lol because I would not have a clue).

What all should I buy to replace bearing seals, etc...?
hammer40330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #2

Don't see a picture. I wouldn't be greasing bearings on a new camper right yet. I also wouldn't use the zerk installed in the axle for that purpose by the axle manufacturer. A bit too much grease in that hub results in grease getting on the brakes and more troubles. Most axles no matter what manufacture use the same bearings and seals depending on axle size, 3,500, 5,200 or 7,000 lb ratings. Some 5,200 axles will use the same bearings and seals as a 7,000 lb axle. The bearings have a part number stamped on them and most trailer part stores have spindles available to slide yours and the new bearing on for your peace of mind.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Don't see a picture. I wouldn't be greasing bearings on a new camper right yet. I also wouldn't use the zerk installed in the axle for that purpose by the axle manufacturer. A bit too much grease in that hub results in grease getting on the brakes and more troubles. Most axles no matter what manufacture use the same bearings and seals depending on axle size, 3,500, 5,200 or 7,000 lb ratings. Some 5,200 axles will use the same bearings and seals as a 7,000 lb axle. The bearings have a part number stamped on them and most trailer part stores have spindles available to slide yours and the new bearing on for your peace of mind.

Can't get picture to upload
hammer40330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #4

The zerk fitting is behind the center hub thing. You should notice there is a cap on that. pop the cap off to access the fitting. There may be a rubber cover on the zerk fitting. And maybe not. One of our trailers had the rubber cap, the other did not.

I had an awful time trying to grease the bearings on our 1st trailer. The screw on thingee that fit on the zerk fitting would NOT stay attached. And once it got coated with grease, it was next to impossible to get reattached.

I bought one of these ( the longer one ). Have not tried it yet, but it seems to have good reviews. Also long enough to get deep into that center cover.

https://www.locknlube.com/?gclid=Cjw...oiyxoCSj7w_wcB

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #5

I agree with Retired. Bearing maintenance is a once a year thing (unless you put outrageous numbers of miles on your rig, 10,000+?). The grease in the bearings/hub does not "go" anywhere. The zerk fittings on the hubs are good for adding a small amount of grease between full repacks. A small squirt or two in the zerk fittings between repacks can fill voids in the bearings.
Not all greases are compatible so it is a good idea to do a full bearing repack first and then keep that type of grease in your gun.
Repacking (yep, removing the wheels, brake drums, and hubs) annually provides an opportunity to inspect the bearings for signs of wear and install new seals. These parts are CHEAP and many folks change the bearings no matter what they look like.
Youtube has tons of how to videos for this and many members post that the cost for a shop to do it is not very high either (RV facilities are probably the most expensive).
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings