Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #21

Ok. Got home. Popped off lug nut cover. Popped off dust cover. Grease still looks very fresh. Jacked up no play. So I'd say still good. But will redo before trip to PEI in July.

2011 F-150 Supercrew Ecoboost.

2015 Salem 27 DBud.
Domtherrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #22

Ditto on the infrared temp guage. I check my hub temperature every stop.

As far as Bearing Buddies, they were designed for boat trailers to prevent grease loss when exposing hot hubs to water when launching
I see no need for them on travel trailers. There is no substitute for disassembling and visually checking for problems.

That said I would pull the hubs and make sure that the rear seals are not leaking, check the brakes and actuators, bearings and seals, repack with the proper grease reassemble and adjust brakes.

Providing the wheels are greased properly (not necessarily the case from the factory ) there should be no reason to be concerned for a year or so.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #23

TeamFour,

Hello, I was wondering about temp. I have a single axle on my classic 625d PUP. What temp range should I be looking for when I stop. I love the IR I bought this year. Thanks.
Dodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post
I have aluminum wheels on my new RV and to get to the EZ Lube grease fittings I have to pull the wheels to remove the chrome cap over the fitting. I guess I need to spin the wheels anyway but my old RV with steel wheels the grease fittings were easier to get to.
There is likely a cap on the caps. On my last TT ( and on my brother's as well )
the cap was so well integrated, it was hard to tell a cap was there. There was a very small notch where a small screwdriver could be fit, and it would pop the cap off. The zerk fitting was right underneath.

Oops...I see this has been covered.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodaman View Post
TeamFour,

Hello, I was wondering about temp. I have a single axle on my classic 625d PUP. What temp range should I be looking for when I stop. I love the IR I bought this year. Thanks.

My general rule is you should be able to touch the hub without getting burned. All my trailers have always run under 120 degrees. Also, good bearing grease has a much higher temperature rating.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:18 PM   #26

I have never seen temps above about 110. Ambient temp will play a part.

The side facing the sun will always be hotter
Compare the trailer to the tow vehicle to get a reference

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #27

Thanks for the information. They always have been cool to the touch. But can't wait to get the IR gun on them. And sorry, didn't mean to alter the topic. I'm looking forward to trying those EZ hubs.
Dodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:21 AM   #28

I also have cast wheels. They have stainless caps in the center of the wheels covering the EZ lube axles. I used a hole saw to drill out the center of those caps so I could get to the rubber caps in the axle covers. Take your time as stainless is hard and a little thought to drill thru. Hope this helps.
IHDRIDER00 is offline   Reply With Quote