Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #1

gvwr and trailer construction

I have been looking at a Rockwood 8280ws 5th wheel. It only has a gvwr of 8950 pounds. The trailer I have now and other trailers I have looked at have much heavier gvwr. Should I be concerned ? I am looking for a trailer this size but I want one that is well constructed.
jeffscuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
Denver, CO

I think the FR's have really tried to keep the weight down by construction techniques. My new V cross is 4K lighter than my McKenzie Lakota and yet has about the same payload capacity. It's 4 feet shorter also so that is some of it. The FR I just purchased is not quite as fancy as the Lakota, but it is very well put together and seems to hold what I need it to. IMHO.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

The Rockwood is an ultra lite trailer which means lightweight frame and construction techniques. There is nothing wrong with these units but you cannot for example mount a bike rack to the rear bumper or frame for example and the frame cannot use levelers so you must level the unit with boards or something similar under the wheels to get the left right level, front to back is via the landing gear.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Rockwood used to determine the GVWR of the camper by adding the dry pin weight to the axle weight ratings. Ours is 9077 lbs...1077 lb pin weight plus 4000 lb x 2 axles. I'm looking at the spec sheet and they don't seem to follow that now in the case were they post a GVWR number.

All the Rockwood/Flagstaff 5Ws are on 4000 lb axles which gives them a GVWR between 9000 - 9500 lbs depending on pin weight. They're light-weight in design with fairly small CCC...doesn't mean that it's not well constructed. Other campers come with CCC over 3000 lbs due to heavier axles and frames. Most wouldn't be loading that much in a camper as 1000 lbs of stuff is quite normal.

We've had ours for 3 yrs and 146 nights of camping and haven't had any real issues.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote