Old 02-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I fully believe that my TPMS fully paid for itself when I got my flat AND prevented it for quite a while before. It would have prevented it entirely if I wasn't such a dumbass.

They don't catch all scenarios, but they do enough for me to agree and consider it essential.
I agree with spock and ependy on tire pressure monitoring systems. Mine has gone off twice when I actually did not have a flat. Both times were on the sunny side and psi was higher. I'd rather 100 false alarms over 1 blowout.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:12 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Yes and no. Problem with the false alarms is that you eventually ignore the alarm or loose trust in it.. Had this on the way back from Disney. Very annoying to the point we shut it off.

I think the tire issue is a issue for multiple reasons, poor tire construction, over weight or close to overweight trailers, and just driving way to fast. On our 2000miles journey to and from Disney we were passed by many a rv like we were not moving, we were going 60 to 65 at the fastest... 8 of the many that passed us were later repassed as they sat disabled with flats. One passed us, had a blow out.. I guess after the repair REPASSED US just to get another blow out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Yes and no. Problem with the false alarms is that you eventually ignore the alarm or loose trust in it.. Had this on the way back from Disney. Very annoying to the point we shut it off.

I think the tire issue is a issue for multiple reasons, poor tire construction, over weight or close to overweight trailers, and just driving way to fast. On our 2000miles journey to and from Disney we were passed by many a rv like we were not moving, we were going 60 to 65 at the fastest... 8 of the many that passed us were later repassed as they sat disabled with flats. One passed us, had a blow out.. I guess after the repair REPASSED US just to get another blow out!

Doc, I've thought about all these reasons too and another that I wonder about is the torquing on the tires when backing into my driveway. It's a 90 tight turn and really twists the tires around. All my blowouts have been belt separation related. You think the torquing may be weakening the tires? I always pull up and back straight again to get them straight before parking. The maxxis i had for 5 years never showed signs of belt separation. Neither have the GY marathons. But the Trail Express had buldging centers within a year. Just wondering.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #14
Who Dares, Wins

I seem to think most failures are belt/tread separations. I have a similar approach into my drive, almost a 90.. But trailer tires are supposed to be better at handling this sideways torque than LT and pc tires. I think they are just junk and built way to close to the limits of normal everyday driving. Whether it is safe or not, roads have 65 to 85 mph speed limits... I am sure it is not good doing anything at its max failure limit... Ie trans Temps, rpms, speed or whatever.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 02-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #15

Tire pressure from what I know is the single most important factor in how the tire holds up. I have often wondered about TPMS for TT, but have thought because the truck is a long distance from the tires they may not work after reading I guess they do I need to look into that.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah works fine. I have not seen a tpms that is integrated into the TVs electronics but that would be the nicest. Until then I have the little box on the dash and it works very well.

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 02-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post

You have good points here, and I think one of the most important is the travel speed. I think there are many people out there that are unaware that most trailer tires are only rated for up to 65 mph. I've never seen a tire that had that information on the sidewall. In fact the way I learned this fact was from forums. I bet there are a lot of people out there who never look at these forums! (And happily cruise the interstates at 75 mph until their tires disintegrate!)
Old 02-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

I agree, no one ever told me about the speed rating of my tire.

I also will clarify my weight comment, I meant weight of trailer compared to the load capacity of the tire (very close tolerances) .

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 02-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #19

I don't have TMPS and check the nitrogen pressure once a year. Never had a blowout on GY Marathons. Fiver is loaded at capacity as well.

As others mentioned Torque and tread separation is a major issue the secondary one is speed. Over driving the ratings causes faiulure as well.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #20

Tires

If not mistaken Goodyear has a RV tire guide that states the Marathon tires are only to be used on pop ups not 5vers.
Had a 35ft Carriage Cameo before the current Freelander 21QB & it had Marathons, I guess GY updating product line

Tags
tire, tires