Old 02-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #21

I sometimes think that the speed rating on tires is not much good. I see commercial trucks doing 80 on the interstate running recaps on the trailer, I know those tires aren't rated for speeds like that. Most of the time I run 63 but sometimes I open up the Dmax and let it burn, just to clean out the exhaust. Besides I hate getting passed by all the other rv's. Once in awhile I think I'm stopped. DW just tells me when I'm getting passed is they aren't paying my insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #22

NoooooooooMarathons!!!!!!

Terrible experiences with Goodyear marathons. Avoid at all costs. Ruined our last big trip. Google marathon problems then pick another tire

Old 02-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #23
Enjoying Life

Seadog

I have used the TPS for the last 5 years. Losing signal to rear of trailer has never been an issue, but having undetected tire problems is no longer an issue. Sure they do emit false warnings, but I would rather have a false warning to check rather than walking out and seeing major wheel well damage. I am spent too much for my fiver to intentional damage it.

Life is great, Beer is Good
mpoulin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlovers View Post
Terrible experiences with Goodyear marathons. Avoid at all costs. Ruined our last big trip. Google marathon problems then pick another tire
Problem is you google ANY tire and you'll never want to buy any tire or leave the house.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I sometimes think that the speed rating on tires is not much good. I see commercial trucks doing 80 on the interstate running recaps on the trailer, I know those tires aren't rated for speeds like that. Most of the time I run 63 but sometimes I open up the Dmax and let it burn, just to clean out the exhaust. Besides I hate getting passed by all the other rv's. Once in awhile I think I'm stopped. DW just tells me when I'm getting passed is they aren't paying my insurance.

I wonder what they are rated for??

I also guess that is why we see all the "gators" along the road. I guess they do not seem to fair much better at times. Difference is, my guess, they do not care what they blow up under their trailer... Ain't theirs, right?

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #26

Sad but true
Old 02-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #27

Goodyear knows they have a problem and sent me a credit on my next tires. Can only go by my own experience never again. Other GYears may be fine.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulin8 View Post
Seadog

I have used the TPS for the last 5 years. Losing signal to rear of trailer has never been an issue, but having undetected tire problems is no longer an issue. Sure they do emit false warnings, but I would rather have a false warning to check rather than walking out and seeing major wheel well damage. I am spent too much for my fiver to intentional damage it.

X2. I don't mind a false alarm once in awhile

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #29
ARLO

We have had tt,s for 45 years and over 150000 miles and never had a blowout. Never had Maxxis or Marathons either. While there are some poor tires out there, I think a lot of problems are from poor maintenance, improper loads etc..
Old 02-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #30

All the above suggestions are great and should help you make a thoughtful decision about your tires. You mentioned your brother-in-law has a 10K, 9 year old trailer and never had any tire problems. What tires does he have and how much traveling does he do at what speeds. There have been a lot of poor quality tires enter the market in the last 9 years.

Good luck

Tags
tire, tires