Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
banda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlovers View Post
Goodyear knows they have a problem and sent me a credit on my next tires. Can only go by my own experience never again. Other GYears may be fine.
I had Marathons also and they were not abused, yet all 4 had belt separation.
__________________

__________________
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
blwnsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
All the above suggestions are great and should help you make a thoughtful decision about your tires. You mentioned your brother-in-law has a 10K, 9 year old trailer and never had any tire problems. What tires does he have and how much traveling does he do at what speeds. There have been a lot of poor quality tires enter the market in the last 9 years.

Good luck
I'm not sure and frankly I'm not sure if he has ever replaced them. I will have to check next time I'm down his way. He uses it the same as me (we usually go together each trip).. typically 5 trips a year (memorial, 4th, labor day, columbus day and a 5 day trip in August).

Trips are within 3 hours of the house at most. His trailer is very tall and about 38 feet long so he does not like to travel far because of the sway (won't get into that subject) when the winds are blowing good.

Wife and I would like to go further distances but the kids are still too young (2 and 5) to travel long distances.
__________________

__________________
2015 F350 6.7 Platinum
2015 Coachmen 360IBL
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 209
I have been researching tires also and when I upgrade it will be to these
Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST Radial Tire - 235/85R16 126R
All good comments and may have to get new wheels to handle the 110 psi tire pressure. I do have Good Sam roadside assistance so we will see In GA now and plan to be working my way home via Myrtle Beach, Savannah and New Smyrna Beach in about 2 months.
__________________
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,529
35 plus camping years and no blowouts....... I am perfectly fine with the tires that came on our TH ...... The camper is a 2013 bought in 2012 and I plan on replacing the factory tires in another year or two when they reach 5 plus years.

__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #35
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
Wife and I would like to go further distances but the kids are still too young (2 and 5) to travel long distances.

Slight hijack...

We all have to do what's right for our families, but ages 5 and 2 are no reason not to do long distances. My daughter was about 8 (now 12) when we started traveling and son has been a traveler since about 4-6 weeks old (now 3 1/2).

Get out and go!
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #36
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 4,824
Our first trip was to OH when our daughter was 6 months old. 3 years old we went to disney. In between many many long trips up and down the east coast.
__________________

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
blwnsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Slight hijack...

We all have to do what's right for our families, but ages 5 and 2 are no reason not to do long distances. My daughter was about 8 (now 12) when we started traveling and son has been a traveler since about 4-6 weeks old (now 3 1/2).

Get out and go!
I appreciate the comments. 3 - 3 1/2 hours are pretty much the max for my 2 year old without her wanting to get out of her seat. Granted we could try to time it so we can stop for lunch etc so she can get out a bit but I really don't think a 8-10 hour trip is something she will tolerate right now. We have tablets for each one so they watch movies already and play games on them.. my 5 year old isn't really an issue.

Already we try to time our 3 hours trips to work around the 2 year olds nap cycle if possible. Just makes for a more peaceful trip. I think by the time the 2 year old is close to 5, we will start going outside New England and checking places out. Would like to go down south to the Virginia/Carolina area.. and out to PA and Ohio area.
__________________
2015 F350 6.7 Platinum
2015 Coachmen 360IBL
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #38
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
I appreciate the comments. 3 - 3 1/2 hours are pretty much the max for my 2 year old without her wanting to get out of her seat. Granted we could try to time it so we can stop for lunch etc so she can get out a bit but I really don't think a 8-10 hour trip is something she will tolerate right now. We have tablets for each one so they watch movies already and play games on them.. my 5 year old isn't really an issue.



Already we try to time our 3 hours trips to work around the 2 year olds nap cycle if possible. Just makes for a more peaceful trip. I think by the time the 2 year old is close to 5, we will start going outside New England and checking places out. Would like to go down south to the Virginia/Carolina area.. and out to PA and Ohio area.

Thumbs up.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
blwnsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruff View Post
I have been researching tires also and when I upgrade it will be to these
Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST Radial Tire - 235/85R16 126R
All good comments and may have to get new wheels to handle the 110 psi tire pressure. I do have Good Sam roadside assistance so we will see In GA now and plan to be working my way home via Myrtle Beach, Savannah and New Smyrna Beach in about 2 months.
I believe there is a Michelin as well.. will have to search for it. I remember seeing they were about $300 a piece as well. Frankly I'd like to be able to travel 70-75mph and not worry about the tire coming apart (no lectures on "do you know how much weight you have and wanting to go that fast" please).

After searching I'm wondering if it is the XPS Rib tire... Seems it is a Light Truck tire so maybe I'm wrong about the Michelins..

There is also this article that I found comparing 2.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...ailer-tires-v1
__________________
2015 F350 6.7 Platinum
2015 Coachmen 360IBL
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 12
I have the xps rib and have had excellent service from them. The diameter is slightly larger however no clearance issues. 3055RL bighorn fifth wheel.
__________________

__________________
boomer116ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.