Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #21

I sometimes think that the speed rating on tires is not much good. I see commercial trucks doing 80 on the interstate running recaps on the trailer, I know those tires aren't rated for speeds like that. Most of the time I run 63 but sometimes I open up the Dmax and let it burn, just to clean out the exhaust. Besides I hate getting passed by all the other rv's. Once in awhile I think I'm stopped. DW just tells me when I'm getting passed is they aren't paying my insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #22

NoooooooooMarathons!!!!!!

Terrible experiences with Goodyear marathons. Avoid at all costs. Ruined our last big trip. Google marathon problems then pick another tire
Rvlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #23
Enjoying Life

Seadog

I have used the TPS for the last 5 years. Losing signal to rear of trailer has never been an issue, but having undetected tire problems is no longer an issue. Sure they do emit false warnings, but I would rather have a false warning to check rather than walking out and seeing major wheel well damage. I am spent too much for my fiver to intentional damage it.

Life is great, Beer is Good
mpoulin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlovers View Post
Terrible experiences with Goodyear marathons. Avoid at all costs. Ruined our last big trip. Google marathon problems then pick another tire
Problem is you google ANY tire and you'll never want to buy any tire or leave the house.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I sometimes think that the speed rating on tires is not much good. I see commercial trucks doing 80 on the interstate running recaps on the trailer, I know those tires aren't rated for speeds like that. Most of the time I run 63 but sometimes I open up the Dmax and let it burn, just to clean out the exhaust. Besides I hate getting passed by all the other rv's. Once in awhile I think I'm stopped. DW just tells me when I'm getting passed is they aren't paying my insurance.

I wonder what they are rated for??

I also guess that is why we see all the "gators" along the road. I guess they do not seem to fair much better at times. Difference is, my guess, they do not care what they blow up under their trailer... Ain't theirs, right?

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #26

Sad but true
Old 02-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #27

Goodyear knows they have a problem and sent me a credit on my next tires. Can only go by my own experience never again. Other GYears may be fine.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulin8 View Post
Seadog

I have used the TPS for the last 5 years. Losing signal to rear of trailer has never been an issue, but having undetected tire problems is no longer an issue. Sure they do emit false warnings, but I would rather have a false warning to check rather than walking out and seeing major wheel well damage. I am spent too much for my fiver to intentional damage it.

X2. I don't mind a false alarm once in awhile

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #29
ARLO

We have had tt,s for 45 years and over 150000 miles and never had a blowout. Never had Maxxis or Marathons either. While there are some poor tires out there, I think a lot of problems are from poor maintenance, improper loads etc..
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #30

All the above suggestions are great and should help you make a thoughtful decision about your tires. You mentioned your brother-in-law has a 10K, 9 year old trailer and never had any tire problems. What tires does he have and how much traveling does he do at what speeds. There have been a lot of poor quality tires enter the market in the last 9 years.

Good luck
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlovers View Post
Goodyear knows they have a problem and sent me a credit on my next tires. Can only go by my own experience never again. Other GYears may be fine.
I had Marathons also and they were not abused, yet all 4 had belt separation.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
All the above suggestions are great and should help you make a thoughtful decision about your tires. You mentioned your brother-in-law has a 10K, 9 year old trailer and never had any tire problems. What tires does he have and how much traveling does he do at what speeds. There have been a lot of poor quality tires enter the market in the last 9 years.

Good luck
I'm not sure and frankly I'm not sure if he has ever replaced them. I will have to check next time I'm down his way. He uses it the same as me (we usually go together each trip).. typically 5 trips a year (memorial, 4th, labor day, columbus day and a 5 day trip in August).

Trips are within 3 hours of the house at most. His trailer is very tall and about 38 feet long so he does not like to travel far because of the sway (won't get into that subject) when the winds are blowing good.

Wife and I would like to go further distances but the kids are still too young (2 and 5) to travel long distances.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #33

I have been researching tires also and when I upgrade it will be to these
Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST Radial Tire - 235/85R16 126R
All good comments and may have to get new wheels to handle the 110 psi tire pressure. I do have Good Sam roadside assistance so we will see In GA now and plan to be working my way home via Myrtle Beach, Savannah and New Smyrna Beach in about 2 months.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #34

35 plus camping years and no blowouts....... I am perfectly fine with the tires that came on our TH ...... The camper is a 2013 bought in 2012 and I plan on replacing the factory tires in another year or two when they reach 5 plus years.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #35
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
Wife and I would like to go further distances but the kids are still too young (2 and 5) to travel long distances.

Slight hijack...

We all have to do what's right for our families, but ages 5 and 2 are no reason not to do long distances. My daughter was about 8 (now 12) when we started traveling and son has been a traveler since about 4-6 weeks old (now 3 1/2).

Get out and go!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #36
Who Dares, Wins

Our first trip was to OH when our daughter was 6 months old. 3 years old we went to disney. In between many many long trips up and down the east coast.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Slight hijack...

We all have to do what's right for our families, but ages 5 and 2 are no reason not to do long distances. My daughter was about 8 (now 12) when we started traveling and son has been a traveler since about 4-6 weeks old (now 3 1/2).

Get out and go!
I appreciate the comments. 3 - 3 1/2 hours are pretty much the max for my 2 year old without her wanting to get out of her seat. Granted we could try to time it so we can stop for lunch etc so she can get out a bit but I really don't think a 8-10 hour trip is something she will tolerate right now. We have tablets for each one so they watch movies already and play games on them.. my 5 year old isn't really an issue.

Already we try to time our 3 hours trips to work around the 2 year olds nap cycle if possible. Just makes for a more peaceful trip. I think by the time the 2 year old is close to 5, we will start going outside New England and checking places out. Would like to go down south to the Virginia/Carolina area.. and out to PA and Ohio area.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #38
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
I appreciate the comments. 3 - 3 1/2 hours are pretty much the max for my 2 year old without her wanting to get out of her seat. Granted we could try to time it so we can stop for lunch etc so she can get out a bit but I really don't think a 8-10 hour trip is something she will tolerate right now. We have tablets for each one so they watch movies already and play games on them.. my 5 year old isn't really an issue.

Already we try to time our 3 hours trips to work around the 2 year olds nap cycle if possible. Just makes for a more peaceful trip. I think by the time the 2 year old is close to 5, we will start going outside New England and checking places out. Would like to go down south to the Virginia/Carolina area.. and out to PA and Ohio area.

Thumbs up.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruff View Post
I have been researching tires also and when I upgrade it will be to these
Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST Radial Tire - 235/85R16 126R
All good comments and may have to get new wheels to handle the 110 psi tire pressure. I do have Good Sam roadside assistance so we will see In GA now and plan to be working my way home via Myrtle Beach, Savannah and New Smyrna Beach in about 2 months.
I believe there is a Michelin as well.. will have to search for it. I remember seeing they were about $300 a piece as well. Frankly I'd like to be able to travel 70-75mph and not worry about the tire coming apart (no lectures on "do you know how much weight you have and wanting to go that fast" please).

After searching I'm wondering if it is the XPS Rib tire... Seems it is a Light Truck tire so maybe I'm wrong about the Michelins..

There is also this article that I found comparing 2.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...ailer-tires-v1
Old 03-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #40

I have the xps rib and have had excellent service from them. The diameter is slightly larger however no clearance issues. 3055RL bighorn fifth wheel.
boomer116ars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires