Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #1

Having flats on your MH

Curious and looking for advise. I found out that the MH I am buying and was told it does not have a spare. What is the prudent thing to do? Just use my road side policy? If so can I be confident that it will be handled? He mentioned some folks buy a ties for their rim. What is the general consensus?

After reading up posts on here I found out my "new" 2017 Georgetown tire date is 2016, so most likely it has sat on the lot for over a year.
bclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

There’s a pretty good bet there’s nowhere where you could store a spare tire in/on a Class A. Also, when it comes to diesel pushers, the tire size becomes unmanageable. Add to this, the average person is not physically set to change out a blown tire with a spare anyway.

Get yourself as far off the travelled portion of the road as possible, get a good roadside assistance program, set your safety flares, call in your location and tire needs, pour yourself a cold one, and sit back and wait for the Calvary to arrive.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
There’s a pretty good bet there’s nowhere where you could store a spare tire in/on a Class A. Also, when it comes to diesel pushers, the tire size becomes unmanageable. Add to this, the average person is not physically set to change out a blown tire with a spare anyway.

Get yourself as far off the travelled portion of the road as possible, get a good roadside assistance program, set your safety flares, call in your location and tire needs, pour yourself a cold one, and sit back and wait for the Calvary to arrive.
I like your advise. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
Site Team

While I agree with waiting for the Calvary to come change my flat I'm not comfortable with not having a spare. Nothing says the Calvary will have the right size tire, or have it at a reasonable price...

Our last Class C had a spare but it was a total disaster to crawl under the rig to unbolt it from the chassis. Then dragging it out from underneath was no fun either... So we bought a Roadmaster spare tire carrier for the hitch. See Here. A bit expensive but it is well made and works very well....

If you click on Registry, under my username, you can see a picture of it installed on our old big "C" with our toad attached as well.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Good Sam Roadside Assistance or CoachNet Roadside Assistance seem to be the two most liked programs for flats and other types of assistance. Some include technical support over the phone as well which can help when you're trying to get your jacks down or your slides out and nothing is working.
Here's the good sam link... https://www.goodsamroadside.com/compare/
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #6

This is my opinion. I have a tire and wheel repair/replacement policy through Coach-net. This is not road side assistance. This policy pays for repair or replacement (2 tires per year ) of tires and repair of wheels. Last year it paid all cost of a mobile truck repair truck to my location and replacement of a 22.5 inch tire that was damaged in a road work zone. Coach-net handled everything all I had to do was sign the work order. Cost if I remember correctly was between 175.00 and 200.00 per year. I do not work for Coach-net and in my opinion I saved a bundle.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
This is my opinion. I have a tire and wheel repair/replacement policy through Coach-net. This is not road side assistance. This policy pays for repair or replacement (2 tires per year ) of tires and repair of wheels. Last year it paid all cost of a mobile truck repair truck to my location and replacement of a 22.5 inch tire that was damaged in a road work zone. Coach-net handled everything all I had to do was sign the work order. Cost if I remember correctly was between 175.00 and 200.00 per year. I do not work for Coach-net and in my opinion I saved a bundle.
Thanks. I may just cancel my assistance with Progressive and go with them. It is 249 for motorhomes but using it one time will more than be worth it.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #8

Motorhome Spare Tire

It is true a motorhome typically wont come with a spare tire. It is a shame this situation is what it is. . Since when is a MH immune to getting a flat or blowout?
Our MH is built on a Freightliner chassis and we personally engineered a mounting system between the rails to hold a complete spare. It has come in handy in saving down time waiting for either the correct tire size and or rim size. It is true of the difficulty in changing a tire especially as in our case it was the inner rear tire. Our towing contract is with AAA and the responder had all the appropriate equipment and bodily strength to change our blowout. The change over was expedient due to having a full spare available for the technician to do his thing.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #9

You could look into getting one of these and a spare tire and rim. At least then the cavalry will only need to change the tire not provide it. Opens up the options as to who can respond to your need for help.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/product...ire/index.html
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #10
jkoenig24

2nd as to what kenandterry said. Some big rig owners carry an UNMOUNTED spare tire (store on the roof, hang on the back, carry in the toad, wherever it can be secured). That way, there'll be NO problem when the tire service arrives (unless you need more than that one spare). You'll have EXACTLY the tire you'll need; the service truck will be able to mount and change tires so you can get back on the road.

Keep in mind, on DUALLIES, the circumference of the two tires must be VERY close. On a single (front or tag axle) there shouldn't be a problem. When used as a dualie though, think of the replacement as a temporary measure until you can quickly rectify the situation. Roger Marble is a retired tire engineer. Roger has a website with a wealth of RV tire information.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roge...hrome&ie=UTF-8
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy View Post
It is true a motorhome typically wont come with a spare tire. It is a shame this situation is what it is. . Since when is a MH immune to getting a flat or blowout?
Our MH is built on a Freightliner chassis and we personally engineered a mounting system between the rails to hold a complete spare. It has come in handy in saving down time waiting for either the correct tire size and or rim size. It is true of the difficulty in changing a tire especially as in our case it was the inner rear tire. Our towing contract is with AAA and the responder had all the appropriate equipment and bodily strength to change our blowout. The change over was expedient due to having a full spare available for the technician to do his thing.
I'd love to see where and how you mounted that spare! I've got a Freightliner XCR chassis, and would love to carry a spare, but haven't found room to put it. I'm a firm believer in carrying your own spare parts - Even if I don't know how to fix it, having the parts on hand lets the roadside assistance take care of it quickly.
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #12

Sorry RedLdr1, just saw you mentioned that already..
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #13

I’m in my 8th season running my motor home. I take it everywhere you are not supposed to take a motor home, including the road to McCarthy in Alaska. So far, I’vehad one problem with a leaking Schroeder valve. My question is this, is it worth the $1200 you will invest in a tire, rim, and mount, to save the maximum 10-24 hours you might have to wait even in worst case situation? You are worried about having to overpay for a new tire, but not worried about spending more than $1K for something you may never need and will most likely dry rot.

My philosophy on repairs is simple. Pull over, find a solution, relax, chlll, and be patient. In Alaska, I knew that it might be a week before a repair could be made. Never needed that week, but that was the plan.

Motor homes are for fun. Relax, chill, take it as it comes. If you are in the states, you may have to wait a bit, but you will get the tire and service you need pretty fast. You really can’t safely change these tires yourself anyway.

Charlie

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #14

I had a flat on my tractor on I 90 in Montana once .had a placards load so I couldn't drag the trailer to a truck stop. After 800 dollars 600 for the tire and 200 for service call. I now alwayts carry a unmounted spare.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #15

I just noticed that my RV gets 1 year of Coach Net road side. I will probably go with that unless I have more issues with it. Time is no problem as we are recently retired. Thanks for all this great feedback!
Old 02-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretm View Post
Sorry RedLdr1, just saw you mentioned that already..
LOL, no problem you are just confirming it is an option!
Old 02-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #17

We have Good Sam Roadside Assistance, we have had to use it on 2 different occasions for 2 blowouts, (we always carry a full spare) and have been very happy with the service. I'd like to think I could change it myself but It is well worth the cost to just have a "cold one" while waiting/watching!!!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #18

Class a berk have roadmaster hitch mount spare tire mount got 22.5 white wheel and a off brand tire whole set up around $800.00 . Yes a lot of money for something I'll never use .in my case I like to drive at night I mean all night . So most tire stores are closed
I could never change the flat myself but I think I would have a better chance of getting a tire service to change out spare then finding a new tire my size .
My biggest fear is some not so honest person putting on a 10 year old tire on
Then you get 20 - 30 miles up the road and bang
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #19

Okay... Maybe a dumb newbie question, but, can the same 22.5" rim be used in all positions or is the inside of the dually a different type ?
Please be gentle !! I am having this discussion with the DW and it is a pretty heavy outlay for an additional wheel and tire. Also considering the assembled weight and where to put it !!

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Walter Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #20

On the Berkshire it works but when you get into the tags axles the tires are different sizes on the rear
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote