Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
Tinkerer and Putterer

Heat From Headers?

Considering adding a set of Banks headers to my class C (2013 3011 Forrester). I just took out the cab interior and upgraded the sound deadening on the floor and firewall to knock out the hot foot issues. I want to add the headers to give me some additional holding power on grades but if it adds heat back into the cab then it's a no go. I can get the headers coated for 750.00 which will also add a few horses but not enough to justify that cost alone. I know the coating would make things cooler than stock but 750.00... OUCH.

Is there anyone out there with a newer C that installed these headers and remembers the differences in heat and sound from the stock manifolds?
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ceramic coated headers will allow the engine bay to be much cooler!

Use header wrap on the header near the starter.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Ceramic coated headers will allow the engine bay to be much cooler!

Use header wrap on the header near the starter.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #4
Tinkerer and Putterer

Ok so as I suspected heat will be added to the cab so the coating is a must. Header wraps fatigue metal so that is a no go even though it would be so much cheaper. In my blazer a set of hookers added all kinds of heat while in my dads F150 the heat issue wasn't nearly as bad. I was hopeful that these E450s would handle the heat better but the fact that I had to add to the stock insulation should have clued me in to the requirement to go with coatings regardless.

These are higher quality headers than I normally use. I have always had issues with exhaust leaks around the header flange. Once these babies go in I don't expect to take them out again so I don't want a leak. Banks claims that a gasket is not required on these headers and recommends NOT using a gasket. I'm all for it but I'm curious if anyone out there has exhaust leak issues post install without gaskets?

If so maybe I can use a set of copper gaskets if I can find them. I would have the noise at startup but once heated it would quiet down. (This was my old solution for garbage header flanges)
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
Ok so as I suspected heat will be added to the cab so the coating is a must. Header wraps fatigue metal so that is a no go even though it would be so much cheaper. In my blazer a set of hookers added all kinds of heat while in my dads F150 the heat issue wasn't nearly as bad. I was hopeful that these E450s would handle the heat better but the fact that I had to add to the stock insulation should have clued me in to the requirement to go with coatings regardless.

These are higher quality headers than I normally use. I have always had issues with exhaust leaks around the header flange. Once these babies go in I don't expect to take them out again so I don't want a leak. Banks claims that a gasket is not required on these headers and recommends NOT using a gasket. I'm all for it but I'm curious if anyone out there has exhaust leak issues post install without gaskets?

If so maybe I can use a set of copper gaskets if I can find them. I would have the noise at startup but once heated it would quiet down. (This was my old solution for garbage header flanges)
Good Vibrations.....800-576-7661 or Copperhead 949-361-1551 or Clark Copper H/G 763-786-9590
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #6

Stage 8 header bolts.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew

Late to the conversation, but also look into dynamat heat and sound deadening material. Dynamat has made my old loud cars into just loud on the outside, and the heat difference is well worth the price.