Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Help: How to determine trailer lift height needed?

My truck's fifth wheel hitch sits 5 inches higher than the bottom of my 5th wheel pin when it is leveled. Does this mean I need a 5 inch lift on the rear axles? I figure the pin 1200 lb weight will cause the truck to squat at least an inch or possibly more but not sure what how I determine how much I should lift the rear axle. I was going to go with 3 inch lift to axles and go one inch larger in tires for 4 inches total. With 1" projected squat I should be ok.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me help me sort this out?

Thanks,
T
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #2

Most hitches have some adjustment as does the pin box on your trailer. See if you can lower the hitch a bit. When connected how much clearance do you have between the truck bed rails and the 5th wheel? You don't want to go much less than 6" or you will be having issues when turning on uneven ground.

I'm not sure you have an issue. When you hook up is your trailer really nose high or a little nose high. A little is ok. If you have bed clearance room you can lower the hitch or raise the pin box typically.

Lifting your truck is the last option as far as I'm concerned and I would not do it. I would install airbags though to eliminate squat.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #3

Also, where are you measuring the 5" from. The pin fits down in the hitch groove. Are measuring to the bottom of the groove or the skid plate that the fiver rests on?

Old 04-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #4

Maybe I misunderstood..........

Have you tried it ????? I would hitch it up and see how much you are off before doing anything. The truck will probably squat more than you think. I would not do anything yet.........

Your truck is a ??????? 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton.......

The hitch and the pin box both have adjustments.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

Its an '15 F350 and the truck is too tall for the trailer. The trailer is an 09 Wildcat 27RL.

If I lower the hitch, I will not have enough clearance between the bed sides and the front of the camper. I'd like having at least 6 inches of clearance there.

Measurement taken from top of skid plate to ground by adding height of ground to bed to height of bed to skid plate funnel (where the pin slides into on the hitch skidplate).

Second measurement was ground to bottom of pin box.

What I need to do is hook everything up and take measurements. We forgot our keys in our other vehicle and couldn't hitch things up to bring it home hence the tape measurements.

When we towed it home, it was very high and pin box or hitch adjustments would decrease clearance too much.

Think I'm still going to put in 2 inch block spacers and go with a 16" tire which should give me 3 inches of total lift. Block spacers are cheap and if it looks good I then may upgrade to a welded subframe addition for the hangers and leaf springs.

I guess I need to hitch things up and them measure how much higher a fixed point is on the 5th wheel versus level`
Old 04-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #6

I'm really confused.. If the truck is to high, why do you want to lift it? Something is wrong here?

Old 04-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I'm really confused.. If the truck is to high, why do you want to lift it? Something is wrong here?
That last sentence is a bit tough to understand but I believe he is talking about lifting the trailer. This is one of the factors that steered me away from a SRW Ford. They are just too high in the back. Lifting the trailer is likely the only option, but you also need to confirm you'll keep you A/C's under 13'6" if you raise the trailer 5".
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #8

Sorry for the confusion. The trailer rides high in the front and low in the back as is. Pin and hitch adjustments are not options due to clearance issues.

Anybody have good luck with just adding blocks between the axle and leaf springs to gain the desired height?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
Site Team

It's common for people to lift their RV's however, some good advice has been given above. If you lift it, make sure to stay under 13'6" at the highest point.

Another point, if you have 15" wheels and you go to 16" wheels and stay the same tire size ratio you'll only gain ½" in height. Because you only going from a 7½" wheel radius to an 8" wheel radius. To gain an inch you'll need to increase 17" wheels or increase the tire size ratio.

Another thing you'll need to consider is the steps. You'll probably need to buy a taller set of steps or you'll always be forced to use a ground step.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Cheaper and not very hard to lower truck....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #11

That is what I was thinking. Lower the truck. I am going to have the same problem, when I go from 04F250 to a 2016 F350.
Anyone know the best way to lower a F350 CC 4x4?
bear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
Left Coast

If it has leaf rear spring, remove spacer blocks......Different front coils, or cut a coil off...didn't change the ride in this old Dodge and been back across country twice
Old 04-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #13

Keep in mind that when you connect the fiver to the truck that it will squat an inch or two. I have a 14 f350 and my nose runs a little high but it has not caused a problem.

Ron & Pat
Greentown Indiana
2014 F350
2016 Chaparal 336TSIK
ronandpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:56 PM   #14

After having driveline shudder issues on my F150's 2 piece driveshaft, I'm in no way messing with lowering my F350. I don't want to risk having shudder issues
that may occur from lowering and possible changes in pinion angle.

I lowered my hitch 2 inches and that gives me 4 inches of clearance with the bed rails. Assuming this will be enough clearance, I will be putting a 2 inch lift in back and gain another 1/2 inch with 16" tires.

Is 4" bed clearance ok?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #15
Left Coast

No

Tags
trailer