Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #1

Question Help! I need new tires and am a newby!!

I have a Sandpiper 30 ft that has about 6 yr old tires on it. I really need to change them. Here are the specs I have an I apologize for a stupid question but I am just not sure what to ask for and don't want to get taken.
Tires on it now - Cooper SRMII Radial LT. The specs on the side of the fifth wheel are as follows:
D rated
LT235/85R 16/E
14,400 GVW
6,000 each axle
Rims 16x6 80 SPF
Sorry to be so stupid but I have no clue what to order. Thanks all in advance for helping a rookie out
bbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #2

Maxxis M 8008 ST.
Goodyear Endurance load G in that size.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

You will get a lot of different answers with this question especially when it comes to staying with the LT tires or go with ST tires. This is up to you. Do some research on both and you can decide on that. The weight for my 5er is similar to yours. We run Sailun 235/80/r16 LRG 14 ply tires on our wildcat 5er. I did a lot of research before buying these. They are not China bombs even though made in china. They actually go through rigorous testing. I keep track of the TPMS on our trips. Even here in Florida when the temp gets in the mid 90's the tire temp remains under 100 and the psi never has gone above 122. We really like them. I think if you do a search on them, you will not find any bad reviews unlike most.Good luck.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbpierce View Post
I have a Sandpiper 30 ft that has about 6 yr old tires on it. I really need to change them. Here are the specs I have an I apologize for a stupid question but I am just not sure what to ask for and don't want to get taken.
Tires on it now - Cooper SRMII Radial LT. The specs on the side of the fifth wheel are as follows:
D rated
LT235/85R 16/E
14,400 GVW
6,000 each axle
Rims 16x6 80 SPF
Sorry to be so stupid but I have no clue what to order. Thanks all in advance for helping a rookie out

The information in the red & orange above is confusing. The "D rated" is not standard terminology for a certification label.

If, in fact, the LT235/85R16 LRE tires match the information on the vehicle's certification label, than like sized and load ranged tires are the proper replacement. They have lasted 6 years, why suspect others of equal quality would not do the same?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

thank you. I would like to replace with the same cooper tires as they have been good and lasted a long time but I see signs of wear and maybe even some dry rot. I just want to be safe and had no clue what to put on it. I will buy the same then. Thanks for your comments
bbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #6

Stick with the same size and load range tires. you posted 235/85-16/E. That indicates load range E. You also posted range D above that. I would go with LRE or higher (lrf, lrg). I won't recommend a brand. Just do a little research online and here. Look on your sidewall of the current tires for what load range is on there. It should match or exceed what the sticker on the trailer indicates.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #7

It sounds like you had good luck with the tire on there now, replace them with the same, they have lasted you 6 years, why change brands if you like them.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #8

Compare pricing using http://www.tirerack.com If you a FMCA member check out the membership tire deals.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jkfham View Post
Compare pricing using http://www.tirerack.com If you a FMCA member check out the membership tire deals.
My experience has been that Tire Rack pricing is on the high side. When I upgraded the tires on our TT last year I got tires and rims from Simple Tire. They had the best prices. I just bought a set of tires for the wife's car - the exact same tire from T R was 40% higher than Simple Tire. Just sayin.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #10

We replaced the OEM Goodyear Marathons (made in China) on our Cardinal fifth wheel after two failures in the first year of ownership. We now have Goodyear Endurance ST tires, made in the USA, at Load Range E, purchased at "America's Tire", same as Discount Tire in most of the USA. Prices are fair and you can get warranty service at any America's Tire or Discount Tire throughout the USA.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #11

If you are going to buy new tires, do it SOON !!! As soon as the new tariffs take place you will see tire prices DOUBLE!! That is what I have heard from 4 different tire stores while I was looking for new tires for my Colorado.!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires