Old 05-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Help! Wheels wiggle while bolted to axle

I have a 2014 FR Evo 2950 dual axle. I was checking the lug nut torque and lifting each tire to make sure they spin freely. 3 of the have a slight wiggle when jacked up but spin freely. One of them wiggles alot more than the rest, and it doesn't spin as freely as the others. Can hear it rubbing on something. I tightened down the 4 bolts that hook the axle to the hub, they were all a little loose. What else would be causing the wiggle?

Here are some pics. Looks like the previous owner replaced the bearings since they have zerks on them...some have leaked a little grease out. What's the best way to grease the bearings now? Do I still have to pull them out? They are 3500 lb axles. Please help, I have a camping trip next weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190516_165142424_HDR.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	204750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190516_165258801.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	204751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190516_165155291.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	204752  

onecrazyfoo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #2

Those are bearing buddies.. pretty typical.

All you need to do is put your grease gun on those zerks and fill them up.

Keep pumping until you see that they're full.

However, the more serious news is that if this doesn't firm them.up good you're likely looking at new wheel bearings. Probably impossible to have done by the weekend at this point. If you're travelling far it'll damage the tires and could cause a failure.. not pretty.

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #3

You could have brake or bearings issues. Needs to be inspected before assuming itís good to go.
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #4

Sounds like bad bearings to me, especially the grinding one that does not spin freely. I wouldn't move it until you check or have them checked.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
You could have brake or bearings issues. Needs to be inspected before assuming itís good to go.
I think I agree with Iwannacamp. I'd have someone look at them before towing long distance. You could have a serious issue on your hands.

Google "Trailer Repair Near Me" you'll find something. Mine was done at a big rig service center.. much cheaper than taking it to an RV dealer and they had me done inside a week. I know that's not good news for your trip this weekend.

Sorry.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I can do a bearing job myself, just need to find a local place that carries them. How do I know what size I'll need? Do I need to pull one out and take it in? Do I need to buy bearing buddies brand to keep the zerks then? Which brand of bearing is best? Thanks!
Old 05-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #7

I would pull all four for inspection, repack, and adjustment.

That backing plate picture looks like you might have a brake drum full of grease.

Bob

ETA:

I would also protect those brake wires from chafing where they come out of the axle tube.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I can do a bearing job myself, just need to find a local place that carries them. How do I know what size I'll need? Do I need to pull one out and take it in? Do I need to buy bearing buddies brand to keep the zerks then? Which brand of bearing is best? Thanks!
I know I was able to find the parts locally (but opted not to do it). For mine, I googled the camper model and found an old brochure then used that to know what brand of axle I had. I found them after about 15 min of searching.

Buy some new shoes too.. they usually do both at the same time.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 PM   #9
Retired Old Fart

I agree with HappyTrav, that backer plate photo looks like your rear grease seal has failed and your brakes are probably covered in grease. I'm also concerned at the color (black) of the grease in your photo of the spindle nut and zerk fitting. Most grease is another color and turns black with use and over heating. That grease in the photo looks thin which is another sign it should have been replaced a long time ago. Not an absolute, but it is an potential point of concern. Wobbly hub on the spindle is also a sign of bearing failure, as is dragging, but a dragging sound could be from the brake pads on the drum as well.

Those hubs need to be pulled and the brakes, bearings, and bearing races inspected and re-greased if OK and replaced & greased if not. A rear grease seal will be needed either way as those are one-shot deals and cannot be removed and reused with any reliability.

It's not hard to do, and there are a zillion videos on youtube of how to inspect bearings and repack them (or change races). Also just about any garage can do the work and it does not take a RV repair center to repack and inspect bearings.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:00 AM   #10
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Thanks everyone. What do you protect the wiring with, just some plastic wire look cover? I will definitely be pulling all 4 and inspecting. Do the new bearings come with these grease seals? It would be nice to just have a whole kit and not guess everything.

My buddy had a thought. Maybe it was just the castle nut that came loose or wasn't properly tightened and backed off slightly? I'll be inspecting this weekend and checking the brakes while I'm there.

Tags
axle, wheel