Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Help! Wheels wiggle while bolted to axle

I have a 2014 FR Evo 2950 dual axle. I was checking the lug nut torque and lifting each tire to make sure they spin freely. 3 of the have a slight wiggle when jacked up but spin freely. One of them wiggles alot more than the rest, and it doesn't spin as freely as the others. Can hear it rubbing on something. I tightened down the 4 bolts that hook the axle to the hub, they were all a little loose. What else would be causing the wiggle?

Here are some pics. Looks like the previous owner replaced the bearings since they have zerks on them...some have leaked a little grease out. What's the best way to grease the bearings now? Do I still have to pull them out? They are 3500 lb axles. Please help, I have a camping trip next weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190516_165142424_HDR.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	204750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190516_165258801.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	204751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190516_165155291.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	204752  
onecrazyfoo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #2

Those are bearing buddies.. pretty typical.

All you need to do is put your grease gun on those zerks and fill them up.

Keep pumping until you see that they're full.

However, the more serious news is that if this doesn't firm them.up good you're likely looking at new wheel bearings. Probably impossible to have done by the weekend at this point. If you're travelling far it'll damage the tires and could cause a failure.. not pretty.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #3

You could have brake or bearings issues. Needs to be inspected before assuming it’s good to go.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #4

Sounds like bad bearings to me, especially the grinding one that does not spin freely. I wouldn't move it until you check or have them checked.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
You could have brake or bearings issues. Needs to be inspected before assuming it’s good to go.
I think I agree with Iwannacamp. I'd have someone look at them before towing long distance. You could have a serious issue on your hands.

Google "Trailer Repair Near Me" you'll find something. Mine was done at a big rig service center.. much cheaper than taking it to an RV dealer and they had me done inside a week. I know that's not good news for your trip this weekend.

Sorry.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I can do a bearing job myself, just need to find a local place that carries them. How do I know what size I'll need? Do I need to pull one out and take it in? Do I need to buy bearing buddies brand to keep the zerks then? Which brand of bearing is best? Thanks!
Old 05-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #7

I would pull all four for inspection, repack, and adjustment.

That backing plate picture looks like you might have a brake drum full of grease.

Bob

ETA:

I would also protect those brake wires from chafing where they come out of the axle tube.
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I can do a bearing job myself, just need to find a local place that carries them. How do I know what size I'll need? Do I need to pull one out and take it in? Do I need to buy bearing buddies brand to keep the zerks then? Which brand of bearing is best? Thanks!
I know I was able to find the parts locally (but opted not to do it). For mine, I googled the camper model and found an old brochure then used that to know what brand of axle I had. I found them after about 15 min of searching.

Buy some new shoes too.. they usually do both at the same time.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 PM   #9
Retired Old Fart

I agree with HappyTrav, that backer plate photo looks like your rear grease seal has failed and your brakes are probably covered in grease. I'm also concerned at the color (black) of the grease in your photo of the spindle nut and zerk fitting. Most grease is another color and turns black with use and over heating. That grease in the photo looks thin which is another sign it should have been replaced a long time ago. Not an absolute, but it is an potential point of concern. Wobbly hub on the spindle is also a sign of bearing failure, as is dragging, but a dragging sound could be from the brake pads on the drum as well.

Those hubs need to be pulled and the brakes, bearings, and bearing races inspected and re-greased if OK and replaced & greased if not. A rear grease seal will be needed either way as those are one-shot deals and cannot be removed and reused with any reliability.

It's not hard to do, and there are a zillion videos on youtube of how to inspect bearings and repack them (or change races). Also just about any garage can do the work and it does not take a RV repair center to repack and inspect bearings.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:00 AM   #10
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Thanks everyone. What do you protect the wiring with, just some plastic wire look cover? I will definitely be pulling all 4 and inspecting. Do the new bearings come with these grease seals? It would be nice to just have a whole kit and not guess everything.

My buddy had a thought. Maybe it was just the castle nut that came loose or wasn't properly tightened and backed off slightly? I'll be inspecting this weekend and checking the brakes while I'm there.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:15 AM   #11
Newbie Trailer Camper!

One other question, is it safe to put all 4 corners on jack stands, by putting the stands under each axle by the wheel? I know you're supposed to lift by the frame, but it would be easier to get the whole trailer in the air. Any problems with doing that for a few days?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks everyone. What do you protect the wiring with, just some plastic wire look cover? I will definitely be pulling all 4 and inspecting. Do the new bearings come with these grease seals? It would be nice to just have a whole kit and not guess everything.

My buddy had a thought. Maybe it was just the castle nut that came loose or wasn't properly tightened and backed off slightly? I'll be inspecting this weekend and checking the brakes while I'm there.
You definitely need to inspect, repack the bearings. If you have any literature for the trailer you might be able to get a bearing size. If the bearings are shot, replace the race as well. Auto parts places should carry everything you need.

The castle nut should never loosen up unless it was installed without the cotter pin to keep it from backing off. Look around on how to install the bearings. You definitely dont want them tight!
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
You definitely need to inspect, repack the bearings.
Agreed, you need to thoroughly clean and inspect the bearings at this point.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #14

Just from viewing the pics you need a complete bearing job . min repack and new seal . maybe new bearings and brake pads . i wouldn't tow until done . no reason to lift all 4 wheels at once do one at a time .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #15
DDC

If you don't know what your doing or how to do it find a friend who does, this is very important area of mainanence on a RV and looking at and reading what you have already written I think you need more experienced help with this.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
If you don't know what your doing or how to do it find a friend who does, this is very important area of mainanence on a RV and looking at and reading what you have already written I think you need more experienced help with this.

I tend to agree. There could be multiple problems with each wheel. These might be lippert axles and we already know where that's headed.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #17

Unless one has a boat trailer they are continuously dunking in the water at the launch ramp I really see no benefit in "bearing buddies". In reality they can be detrimental when used on "dry" trailers as they keep continuous grease pressure against the seal.
E-Z Lube axles don't hold grease under pressure as excess grease is free to exit at front bearing into the cap.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Those are bearing buddies.. pretty typical.

These are not bearing buddies. Just the typical EZ-Lube axles found on most TTs these days.

And there is grease on the backing plate because someone used the EZ Lube "feature". Blown rear seal for sure.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #19

Quote:
One other question, is it safe to put all 4 corners on jack stands, by putting the stands under each axle by the wheel? I know you're supposed to lift by the frame, but it would be easier to get the whole trailer in the air. Any problems with doing that for a few days?
No, you can bend your frame. If you jack from the frame, it needs to be right next to the spring hangers.

No need to get all 4 up unless you plan on taking all the tires in to get replaced.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
These are not bearing buddies. Just the typical EZ-Lube axles found on most TTs these days.

And there is grease on the backing plate because someone used the EZ Lube "feature". Blown rear seal for sure.
Just what I call em.. it's like saying "give me a Kleenex". They are pretty typical.

Tags
axle, wheel