Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #1

Angry Help with my brakes!!

OK here is my problem. I went to pick up 2011 Flag 8528bhss with my 2010 F-250. When I plugged the unit to truck my truck display showed "trailer wiring fault". I unplugged and plugged the unit back in and the truck then showed "trailer connected" which it is supposed to do. However in taking the unit home I noticed that the brakes were not working. Everything else works (brake lights, running lights, turn signals,...). I drove about 10 miles an hour and slid the controller inside the truck and the brakes engaged like they are supposed to. I then disconnected the emergency disconnect and the trailer engaged the brakes like they were supposed to. However I do not get any brake (or it is so minimal that i cannot tell) when I brake using the brake pedal inside the truck.

Any ideas??

Also I noticed that when the brakes were working last year I was able to hear them "click" and engage when I would hit the brakes. I do not hear that at all.

I read on this forum that maybe repeatedly backing up and stopping may solve the problem in resetting the brakes. Anyone else try this?

Any inout is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It sure sounds like the brakes are working properly. How did you determine that they're not working when driving home. Manually activating the brake controller is the best test...the brakes have to warm though.

Backing up and stopping work with drum brakes on your car as they're self-adjusting, but the camper's brakes are manually adjusted.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

Don't know how the built in crontrollers work, but do you have a brake boost adjustment on the controller that you can adjust? If so I have mine set that you can feel the trailer just start braking before the truck, that way you will prevent the trailer from being able to jack knife in the wet.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

You might have to increase the gain on the controller and as Dave said, you have to manually adjust the trailer brakes. If you are not familiar with doing that, suggest you take it to a mech. and have it done.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
We had a problem similar to this last year with our 2010 F-250. It eventually got so bad that it kicked into security mode and we couldn't start the truck. Ford replaced an electronics piece in the dashboard - there where your controller is.

It was a long process to figure out what was going on - but thanks to the folks at Commercial Ford in Aransas Pass, TX - they identified the issue. Though they didn't have the part...we left our 5th wheel down at the coast and returned home where our local dealership ordered the part and replaced it under warranty.

Even after the fix, we had intermittent display of the Trailer Wiring Fault and I cleaned out the contact as described here and we haven't had the issue since: "Trailer wiring problem" on 2010 F250 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #6

dkwin1, if it is not a built in, i would suspect level adjustment was way off. the amt brakes are activated controlled by the amt a pendulum swings inside the controller. if it is a built in controller, no clue.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the input. I put the gain to 10 and put the brakes on and the trailer brakes did not clamp down. Also as mentioned I am not hearing them "click" engage any longer. I am going to try and spray some WD-40 on the 7 pin plug and housing and see if that helps. I was told that my unit had self adjusting brakes.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Threegeeks

On our Tekonsha P3 electric break controller, we have an option to adjusted the breaks to higher/lower volts. We have to set it for electric break and then I believe, we set it at 6.0 volts, drove at 25 mph and activated manual override, if the wheel locked up, we decreases the power by 0.2-0.3 but if we don't feel the breaking, we increases about 0.2 or 0.3. Not sure what you have for your electric break controller or if you can adjust the breaking power on it? Also, I would try unpluging the break controller for awhile and see if it would reset itself.
U.S. Army Veterans
threegeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #9

The brake controller is built into the truck so I cannot reset it (maybe I could by pulling the fuse for it.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwin1 View Post
I was told that my unit had self adjusting brakes.
We have a 2010 Rockwood...dunnc has a 2012 Flagstaff. Both have manual brakes. Don't think a 2011 will have self-adjusting brakes. You know what they say about the salesman's lips moving...

So the BC works when you manually activated it, but not by the brake pedal? May need a trip to the Ford dealer.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes