Old 04-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #11
Site Team

[QUOTE=johntaylor;837473]100% nitrogen permeates through rubber somewhat slower than air."

Probably would matter more if the several cubic feet of ambient air was vacuumed out of the tire before nitrogen was introduced. After a few compressor top-offs, or filling station top-offs of air its pretty much normal air. Just have doubts about the nitrogen hype.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #12

Well I'll just keep using Nitro and others can use what they want. My tires stay inflated better and longer with Nitro. both Truck and trailer.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #13

I had enough tire blowouts from tires made in China! Plus on one occurrence it was going to take 4 hours to get someone to change it out. Buy some good LT truck tires and solve your issue. TPMS is great too except when its too late. Peace of mind is great when you are pulling. I purchased Goodyear 14 ply and no problems vs a blowout from bubble from inside the China made tires.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #14

I did not have blowouts on my Trail Express tires. After 1 season and 5,000 km I changed them out. What I found inside was broken and rotten rubber on the bead. They would fail soon, looking at towing last summer changed them. In the end I am glad i did.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:46 AM   #15

14 ply! Wow. Ok thanks. I will proceed to change these tires. Thanks
Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #16

Just check your factory tires for stress cracking. Check at every stop, inflate to full pressure, keep your speed to 60 or below, keep your load under 15 percent of their maximum rated load and you might get one year out of the "Trail Exploders". Weigh your new trailer loaded. If you are within 500 lbs of the gross weight of your trailer your tires will probably start to show stress cracks around the rims. The bead of these tires is made of inferior rubber and deteriorates rather quickly and will start cracking around the rims. So, inflation,speed, weight bearing are all critical factors to consider. I would not run cheap China OEM tires past a year. You are borrowing trouble. A blowout will cause more damage than the cost of replacement. I prefer Maxxis over Goodyear although I understand Goodyear has made some positive changes in their materials. Many owners are very satisfied with them.
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Tire "Blowouts" are really Run Low Flex Failures that occur when a tire looses air while running down the road. A TPMS will probably give you a warning.

Tread Separation is completely different and occurs when heat and age degrades the rubber around the steel belts. Heat comes from overload, low inflation high speed and long term direct exposure to a heat source.

Tread separations are aggravated by increased Interply Shear (Google it)
which can be over 20% higher on multi axle trailers than other vehicles.

You can lower the Interply Shear by running the tire sidewall max inflation and lowering the load and increasing the inflation pressure.

If you have a tire failure and do not learn the real reason for the failure you have no way of knowing what needs to be changed to avoid a re-occurrence.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #18

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Most people won't go to as much effort as I often do, but between some extensive shopping and selling of the tires removed, I was able to upgrade from 1-2 year old Trail Express C range to GY Marathon D range for $137 out of pocket. My Trail Express tires looked like new inside and out, but
I feel much better about what I have now, and at that price, it was a "no brainier".
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrippingDuo View Post
I had enough tire blowouts from tires made in China! Plus on one occurrence it was going to take 4 hours to get someone to change it out. Buy some good LT truck tires and solve your issue. TPMS is great too except when its too late. Peace of mind is great when you are pulling. I purchased Goodyear 14 ply and no problems vs a blowout from bubble from inside the China made tires.

You do realize that there are not 14 actual "ply" or body ply layers.

Ply Rating is an outdated (25 years ago) method used when tires were converted from cotton body cord to much stronger Nylon, Polyester or steel.

I suggest you read the tire sidewall to see what you actually have. The information is there by law.

Now Load Range G is capable of holding more air pressure than Load Range F and it is the air that carries the vast majority of the load not the tire sidewall, so unless you inflate a LR-G to its higher inflation it is no "stronger: than a LR-F when it comes to load capacity.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #20

Alright. Obviously there are quite a few opinions about tires, I'm not quite sure about the "ply" rating thing. I know I went from 8 to 10 ply on my previous TT after experiencing a blow out. But those were old tires that blew.

My Rockwood is brand new. The only mileage on it is from Indiana to NJ when it was delivered to me. I cant remember the name of the tires, but they are not anything I've ever heard of. So, that said. Is there a need to change these tires right now before I start using my camper or will they "probably be ok" for a season?

I know there is no guaranteed answer either way. Maybe its just a silly question all together.

Tags
tire, tires