Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

Help with Tire wear

I have a 2012 Wildwood 27RLSS with about 2200 miles. All 4 tires are worn down on the inside. The left rear tire worn smooth on inside. I've read some other Threads with similar problems, but mine differs some in that I took the trailer to an RV dealer and was told no problem could be found. They said maybe my tires were under inflated. Not believing this I took the trailer to a second dealer and after looking things over, including weighing the trailer, couldn't find anything. Trailer not over weight. This dealer sent all the info including pictures to Forest River to see what they will do. Why would they do anything?
The tires on the trailer were Trail Express 205/75 D15.

If Forest River won't do anything, I don't know what to do. Bought some new Maxis tires, but don't want to put them on if they're going to wear down.
Thanks
washdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #2

Looks to me that you have a tracking problem if the inflation is set to manufacturer of the tires.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

With all 4 tires worn on the inside, I would say the axles are upside down if it has spring suspension and if it is a torsion suspension, the axles are bent. Nothing else will wear all 4 tires on the inside.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Will post a follow up when I hear what Forest River says about problem. The dealer sent a report of what they checked with photos
Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #5

RV dealers are useless when it comes to axle problems.
I would take it to an alignment shop and have them check it out. And FR should pick up the tab for it as well.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

You might stretch a string from side to side on top or bottom of the axle with the same size spacer under the string at both ends and see if the distance from the string to the axle is the same from side to side. With spring suspension, the axle should be slightly closer to the string in the middle IF the string is on top of the axle and slightly farther from the string if the string is on the bottom. In other words, the axle should be bowed up in the center.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
RV dealers are useless when it comes to axle problems.
I would take it to an alignment shop and have them check it out. And FR should pick up the tab for it as well.
While I doubt that FR will pick up the tab for having it checked (maybe if they are bad) I would definately be taking it to a good frame shop to be sure.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

If all 4 tires are worn with only 2200 miles on the unit, I would guess that FR would agree that there is definitely something wrong, and they should pay to have it checked. I believe another poster had a similar problem, and FR came through. But the OP may have to contact FR directly, as the dealer won't be making any money on it, and like most, if they aren't getting paid, they could care less.

I don't know about all frame shops, but our local guy will straighten trailer axles as well.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #9

I had a very similar problem to what you described. We have a 26tbss. I had roughly 1500 miles on mine and it was shot. The dealer did step up to the plate and replaced the axles. The new axles are much bigger and stiffer and the original. They also replaced the tires. I dont know if the original where the wrong ones or what. But seems better now.

Look at axles they should have a bow in them. Good luck but stay on them!

here was my saga...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...les-17665.html
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #10

Latest on tire wear. Forest River warranty called dealer and told them send info to Lippert Components, the axel maker. So now waiting to hear something from them.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #11

i had similar mileage and was still in the first 6 months of owning my salem when i had seen the tires wearing....

my first complaint to my dealer seemed to fall on deaf ears. (tire pressures were low they claim) my 2nd time in, my Dad had found an article in an rv magazine about it, ( people in the article had taken to the same dealership, different location) turns out the service writer i had seen that day happened to work at the location and with that customer. I had axles ordered within the week. (incorrect bow)

Although lippert didn't cover the tires,, FR did cover the tires from the damage and replaced the tire/rim assys.(all 4) (Kudos to FR for this)
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedaniel
I had a very similar problem to what you described. We have a 26tbss. I had roughly 1500 miles on mine and it was shot. The dealer did step up to the plate and replaced the axles. The new axles are much bigger and stiffer and the original. They also replaced the tires. I dont know if the original where the wrong ones or what. But seems better now.

Look at axles they should have a bow in them. Good luck but stay on them!

here was my saga...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...les-17665.html
Same here. After around 1,800 miles had tire wear. Dealer contacted Forest River and were told to make a bunch of measurements. After that about a month later the dealer called me and told me they had two new axles for me. When they went to put them on they found they were bigger diameter than the existing one. Must be a common problem. Dealer told me that what causes the delay and headaches is that the frame and axles are not made by fr and that FR goes after that manufacturer for the cost and warranty.
Trailer: 2015 Cherokee 274RK
In Past:
2011 Grey Wolf 26RL, 2009 Cikira 19 EXP hybrid, 2008 Clipper 108st (pop-up)
Willybgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #13

Heard from dealer yesterday. Lippert has agreed to replace axels and compensate for
the ruined tires. Hopefully the problem is resolved
Thanks for all the input
Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Fyi inside tire wear is improper toe in
outside tire wear is improper toe out
Wavey wear pattern thru out tire is improper caster
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

I've had it backwards all these yrs then, I thought outside wear was too much toe in , inside wear was toe out and wavey all over was unbalance. Increasing caster makes it track straight (trailer) and steer hard (on steering axle)
Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I've had it backwards all these yrs then, I thought outside wear was too much toe in , inside wear was toe out and wavey all over was unbalance. Increasing caster makes it track straight (trailer) and steer hard (on steering axle)
Dunnnc I likes at my notes thanks
Outside wear is toe in
inside wear is toe out

Thanks for correcting me!

Actually Dexter axle says Camber wear is smooth and appears in and out is what I meant to say.
again thanks for making me look stupid!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Dunnnc I likes at my notes thanks
Outside wear is toe in
inside wear is toe out

Thanks for correcting me!

Actually Dexter axle says Camber wear is smooth and appears in and out is what I meant to say.
again thanks for making me look stupid!
Sure wasn't the intent, I have made, and still do quite often, type something totally backwards from what I mean. I just remember on our super modified & sprint cars, we ran 1/8" tow out and 2D-3D caster on short tracks and up to 5D on 1/2mile tracks with 1 turn lock to lock on the steering wheel. We increased the caster as an 86" wheelbase car is real squirrely trying to hold it straight down the chute. With a lot of caster, you could turn loose of the steering wheel, back off the gas and it would automatically straighten itself out.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
... I just remember on our super modified & sprint cars, ...and 2D-3D caster on short tracks and up to 5D on 1/2mile tracks...
WRONG! Just checked my old notes, 4-6 degrees on 1/4 mile and 8-10 degrees on 1/2 mile tracks. We ran one radius rod on left and 2 on right so it was easy to change. (Straight axle)
Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
WRONG! Just checked my old notes, 4-6 degrees on 1/4 mile and 8-10 degrees on 1/2 mile tracks. We ran one radius rod on left and 2 on right so it was easy to change. (Straight axle)
Gotcha!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Fyi inside tire wear is improper toe in
outside tire wear is improper toe out
Wavey wear pattern thru out tire is improper caster
Could very well be Negative camber, axles bent the wrong way