Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

Hercules Tires, any reviews or here say to share?

I had started an earlier discussion on LT tires vs ST tires and got a good education. I was a tough sale to be honest, but with the persistence of others I slowly came to see the light in the differences of design between the two designations.

So I spend many hours looking into different tire reviews, sizes, load ratings, speed ratings and such.

What I have found is that almost all if not all ST tires in the 235/80/16 and 235/85/16 size are imported tires most of which are from China. The brand names cover Goodyear to names I have trouble spelling or recalling...kind of scary when you get down to it. After awhile of study and reading it almost looks to be a crap-shoot when looking to purchase ST tires.

What I have learned is that there is a standard speed rating placed on ST tires which is set at 65MPH, however by increasing the max 80PSI by 10PSI you can increase the speed up to I believe it was 72MPH. Of course you need to be sure your wheels are rated to handle the increased PSI.

Seems like for every plus I learned there was a negative to off set the positive.

So, back to the title of my post. I think I may have decided on a tire. And that being the Hercules ST in a 235/85/16 in the F load rating. This increased the weight load some, but is not the reason for going to the F rated tire. I am simply going for the higher ply rating which should equate into a stiffer/stronger sidewall also.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Hercules brand of tires in the past. The used to be a Cooper Tire product but are not as all the others an import from China.

Of course I welcome all opinions, suggestions as well as a continuing education. I maybe old, but not to old to learn something new.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
What I have learned is that there is a standard speed rating placed on ST tires which is set at 65MPH, however by increasing the max 80PSI by 10PSI you can increase the speed up to I believe it was 72MPH. Of course you need to be sure your wheels are rated to handle the increased PSI.
No idea about that brand.

But, your speed rating comments- I've only heard this pressure increase from Goodyear and Maxxis tires. I think Greenball tires have a 75mph rating. If you have a need for speed, I strongly suggest that you contact the tire manufacturer to make sure that the rule applies to tires you're buying.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #3

There are exceptions to all standards, I want to be clear on this. While there is from a couple of printed articles a standard 65MPH rating on ST tires, there is also a couple of ST tires that list their speed rating at "J" which is 62MPH. There was one article that did state the "add 10PSI" and did not list individual brands or manufactures.

The Hercules F rated tire is rated at 75MPH

However, I just found out that the F rated tire which is rated at 3960 pound has a PSI of 95. Which means I am back to the drawing board.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires