Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
vinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,793
How can I test electric brakes?

I picked up my pop up late last year and only camped about 25 miles away. I tried to get the brake controller adjusted to the new unit but could never really get it to feel like the camper was slowing down the TV. My old pop up would give a pulling sensation when I hit the brakes and I could feel it tugging the TV to help slow down. I do not get that at all with the new unit. I figured with an additional axle the braking would be even better.

Is there a way for me to check the brakes? is there a way to activate them using the battery? I am looking to simply jack up the trailer, activate the brakes and see if I can spin the tires.

I do not feel comfortable pulling the hubs off and looking at the actual brake pads for grease. I was hoping to see if this is all in my head or not.

Any thoughts?

Vin.
__________________

__________________

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
cdangel0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 148
Does the brake controller have an emergency slide on it? You should be able to jack up one side of the camper and have someone activate the emergency slide which should prevent you from being able to spin the tire.

Or just have someone in the TV step on the brake pedal.

Other option would be to pull the emergency break-away switch. I've heard of people manually pulling the cable as an emergency brake when jacking up their camper (but don't know enough about how to reset it to advise doing it).
__________________

__________________
Craig & Lynn D'Angelo
Delaware

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5
You should be able to use the manual brake slide on the controller and hear the brakes make up. If the trailer is hooked to the TV then start down the road and use only the hand controller and adjust until you get the desired braking. Also, if you use the break-away switch it has to be hooked up to the battery on trailer to work.
__________________
Flash_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
Member
 
Christian_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_h View Post
You should be able to use the manual brake slide on the controller and hear the brakes make up. If the trailer is hooked to the TV then start down the road and use only the hand controller and adjust until you get the desired braking. Also, if you use the break-away switch it has to be hooked up to the battery on trailer to work.
That's what I always did. I got in an empty parking lot or on a desolate stretch of road and got my speed up to about 15 mph and hit the button on the hand controller to apply the trailer brakes......adjusted as necessary.
__________________
Christian
Reno, NV
2015 Georgetown 270
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,255
You could just pull the pin on the break-away switch, but it's probably easiest just to have someone step on the brake petal. I do have to say though that it is not very desirable to have your trailer brakes overpowered and 'jerking' on your TV. Trailer brakes just weren't made for that kind of braking and can cause premature wearing and failure... not to mention the stress to your hitch.

Ideally, you should feel no slop (pulling or pushing) from your trailer when braking.
__________________
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
vinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_D View Post
That's what I always did. I got in an empty parking lot or on a desolate stretch of road and got my speed up to about 15 mph and hit the button on the hand controller to apply the trailer brakes......adjusted as necessary.
Thanks everyone. I quoted the above but realize others have said similar things.

That seems like a nice simple idea. I will find a remote road that I can drive slowly on and then begin to dial up the number on the prodigy brake controller to have the brakes applied. If nothing happens that I know I need to bring the camper in for checking.

Thanks,

Vin.
__________________

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
vinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
You could just pull the pin on the break-away switch, but it's probably easiest just to have someone step on the brake petal. I do have to say though that it is not very desirable to have your trailer brakes overpowered and 'jerking' on your TV. Trailer brakes just weren't made for that kind of braking and can cause premature wearing and failure... not to mention the stress to your hitch.

Ideally, you should feel no slop (pulling or pushing) from your trailer when braking.
You are most likely right. The trailer brakes may have been too tight or something. All I can say is that was the sensation I got. The new camper might be fine but it is just that it was different from my very first camper. I have no other experience to go by. This was different and has me thinking.

Vin.
__________________

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #8
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,715
Please don't pull your emergency brake pin!! You can fry a prodigy control that way. Do use the override lever and turn the dial up until you feel it slowing you.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
vinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Please don't pull your emergency brake pin!! You can fry a prodigy control that way. Do use the override lever and turn the dial up until you feel it slowing you.
Ok. That sounds like a plan. Thanks.
__________________

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Please don't pull your emergency brake pin!! You can fry a prodigy control that way.
Oops. I've never had any problem doing that with my P3. It just faults out and shows a brake error.
__________________

__________________
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brakes, electric

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.