Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #21

I bought my TT used & replaced my China Bombs with Maxxis E rated tires ASAP. Since my TT weighs less than 8,000 loaded & has the wider axle spacing, I chose the 15" Maxxis vs. new rims & LT tires... The E rated Maxxis can handle 2,850 lbs. which gives me more than a 30% safety margin. With the wider axle spacing my TT tires experience sideways dragging during tight turns & IMO the LT tires do not have the extra sidewall reinforcement to handle this as well.

IMO if you are buying NEW you should be able to upgrade your tires at the same time you are making other upgrades like 30a to 50a, a 2nd A/C, bigger fridge, etc. One of the reasons I chose to buy used vs. new is because I knew I would be making some changes right-away and would rather save the money up-front vs. having a warranty. IMO the way these things come off the line there is a big risk that you will spend your first summer having the dealer fix defects vs. camping. We wanted to camp 30+ days this summer, so used was the way to go for us...

BTW, we have camped for 30+ days & have had no major issues. Just a few loose cabinet screws, etc. that I fixed right on the spot...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #22

I drag 3 trailers down the road. I rotate and balance them and I am religious about pressure. I am of the conclusion that all trailer tires are bombs and if you don't want blowouts the only thing to do is replace them every 2-3 years.

I will be running LTs Es on my wildcat within a 2 year period most likely with Yokohama.

Nothing has stranded me more than Goodyear marathons. It seams like when one goes on a tandem the both go.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
Not an expert on tires, but I do know about tools...power and otherwise. Take a good look at the products offered by Harbor Freight...all made in China, and all complete garbage. So, let us extrapolate...
Many times a cheap tool is adequate...at other times, it is not. I know of many who are quite happy with their Chinese-made Harbor Freight tools. And I know others who share your opinion.

In working with Chinese manufacturers, I have found that they will produce to the quality point expected/demanded of them. Just like an actual manufacturing or assembly plant in any country, the end product will be much better if management is competent and the workers reasonably happy. If there is pride in the output, then the quality will be higher, especially when there is no post-production quality check. Competent management and happy production workers are just as rare in China as they are in the U.S.

Quality checks by the buyer are just as essential in China as anywhere else, especially when buying from the low cost producer.

We acccept significantly worse quality control on our RVs than we do on our automobiles/trucks or even on our houses (RV is really a combination in terms of systems). Why should we be surprised when similarly low quality control is applied to the tires on our RVs as compared to automobile/LT tires?

just my thoughts
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
Trailer tires are rated for a maximum of 65 mph. So why do I see trailers passing me at 75

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
Well if it is a white silverado, with Utah plates, pulling a 228 BH, it could be cause I'm running tires three times larger than came with the trailer and they are truck tires.
But I do cap it at 75, even in a 80 mph zone, and only if there is little traffic.

But oddly enough, on my last trip to Pocatello ID last week, I saw two 5th wheelers and one trailer pulled over and tires were being changed; but NOT on the trailers, on the rear of the TVs.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Many times a cheap tool is adequate...at other times, it is not. I know of many who are quite happy with their Chinese-made Harbor Freight tools. And I know others who share your opinion.

In working with Chinese manufacturers, I have found that they will produce to the quality point expected/demanded of them. Just like an actual manufacturing or assembly plant in any country, the end product will be much better if management is competent and the workers reasonably happy. If there is pride in the output, then the quality will be higher, especially when there is no post-production quality check. Competent management and happy production workers are just as rare in China as they are in the U.S.

Quality checks by the buyer are just as essential in China as anywhere else, especially when buying from the low cost producer.

We acccept significantly worse quality control on our RVs than we do on our automobiles/trucks or even on our houses (RV is really a combination in terms of systems). Why should we be surprised when similarly low quality control is applied to the tires on our RVs as compared to automobile/LT tires?

just my thoughts
Fred W
Stop making so much sense. You will confuse people.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #26

Most if not all ST tires are made in Asia with China producing the lions share. If you have a flat, blowout blame CHINA, most all are made there. You get what you pay for, buy the best you can, always buy a tire that will carry 10% - 20% more than the static load. Balancing tires is very important as is air pressure.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #27

All I know is that I had one come completely apart at 60 mph on Interstate on my brand new WA2313. The tire had less than 1000 miles on it and my toy hauler had no atvs in it. And this morning when I went to check on these junky tires prior to a trip, one had lost 20 psi over a week of sitting still. YMMV, but I will be replacing these pieces of crap with US made tires asap.
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #28
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
After reading the "Chinese tire" complaints here (and other forums) for over a year, here is my opinion....free and worth every penny of it;

All RV manufacturers, not just FR, install "adequate" grade/load range tires for each RV as it rolls out of the factory. These "adequate" grade tires do not allow for those who over load their RVs, or those who are not vigilant with checking tire pressures before and during trips, those who aren't careful to avoid curb checks, and those who run down interstates like bats out of hades.

Am I saying that if every RV owner was vigilant about the issues listed above there'd be NO "china bombs"? absolutely NOT. I do believe there'd be far fewer "china bomb" stories.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I have been towing TT's since 1970 and not once have I had a tire failure. I do check tire pressures regularly and visually inspect them each time we trail. I did replace the tires on My Flagstaff because they were marginally acceptable for the weight of the trailer. While they were just barely adequate, we were close to their capability every time we towed and I noticed that they were starting to heat check after only two years. The new ones are still perfect after 8000 miles.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #29
NELA

Sneak yanked those "Trail Express" LRC 6 ply tires off our RV with barely 500 miles on them. We're now running 10 ply LREs. The difference (and I'm the OCD tire monitor...one eye constantly on the side mirror) in ride and travel is amazing.

We're religious about checking tire pressures and tire temps (got the temp gun....guess it's a piece of junk from China too, since we got it from Harbor Freight) /snark/ frequently before, during and after towing.

I can finally exhale....money well spent.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #30

My new FR 5er triple axle came with Westlake China tires 16" E rated. Anyone know if there any good??? I really don't care where they are made I just haven't ever heard of them. I hope there good tires but I don't know does anyone know of these tires?
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
My new FR 5er triple axle came with Westlake China tires 16" E rated. Anyone know if there any good??? I really don't care where they are made I just haven't ever heard of them. I hope there good tires but I don't know does anyone know of these tires?

Probably the best way to research your tires is to get the tire manufacturers code from the tire. After you verify where they were manufactured you can verify the manufacturers’ certificates. I know, what does that prove, right? Well if they have taken the time and effort to gain ISO certifications their management team at least knows what is expected from their product. They also know the penalties for trying to hoodwink the DOT.

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm.

Airdale
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #32

Quote:
My new FR 5er triple axle came with Westlake China tires 16" E rated. Anyone know if there any good???
Here are some threads on FRF where they are mentioned.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #33

Thanks
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 10-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #34
Site Team

I've had 3 tread separation and 1 sidewall blowouts on 2 fivers. All at less than 3000 miles. Not over loaded. Pressures checked regularly and not damaged. They were all Trail Express. Replaced with marathons and used several more years with no trouble. Towed a third TT 12000-15000 miles on maxxis. Never a problem.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #35

I was specifically asking about the Westlake tires but thanks for the input.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 10-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #36
Site Team

Sorry. I just read the title about "Chinese tires" and replied to that.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #37

That's cool I'm just looking for someone with experience with Westlake tires. These came on my new 5er
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 10-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #38

Quote:
That's cool I'm just looking for someone with experience with Westlake tires. These came on my new 5er
I'm in the same boat as you, Mud...the XLR came with Westlake 235/80R16, load range E tires. I'm thinking of replacing them but I'd like to know if what I currently have is any good. They have a max load stamped into the sidewall of 3520#, which is pretty good for the "E" tires I've been shopping for. Anyone else have any first-hand experience with them?
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #39

Yep I have exact same tire as you Taran I have 7 of them counting the spare. They seem ok but I don't know.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 10-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I have the Westlake's on my Wildcat with the load rate E. I think it's an improvement over the load rated C on a 15" wheel that other units put on their rigs.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote