Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #41

I don't know how good they are but almost everyone says get rid of them. Lots have had blow outs with them. I ordered my new Goodyear china tires last Thurdsay get them Monday. Beside the blow outs reported here I checked on the Westlake tires as best as I could out side of this forum also and I found out them to be about half the price of Goodyear so that was my final decision if they are that much cheaper they can't be very good. Not the most scientific way I know but thnk it is a purty good indicator. Also look up china brand tires in the news recently lots of problems with them.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #42

Thanks I'll check it out
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #43

Westlake tire reference.

http://www.westlaketire.com/trailer-tires

A
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #44
WFD

The Goodyear "China" tires don't have a very good reputation either...can easily find tons of posts of people having issues with them as well...they may fare better than other Chinese tires but just barely.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #45
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, Mud...the XLR came with Westlake 235/80R16, load range E tires. I'm thinking of replacing them but I'd like to know if what I currently have is any good. They have a max load stamped into the sidewall of 3520#, which is pretty good for the "E" tires I've been shopping for. Anyone else have any first-hand experience with them?
3520# interesting. Since load capacity is controlled by the inflation and tire type (LT, P or ST) I have to wonder why Westlake thinks their tires can carry 100# more than the competition. Could it be that they were asked to provide a ST235/80R16 LR-E to be applied to a 7,000 axle?

Regulations require that tires be rated to carry the specified load. The mfg may have decided they did not want to de-rate the RV to reflect a more reasonable load capacity or to spend the money needed to use larger tires with a normal load capacity.

This would much like marking 1000# chain for 1050# and counting on most users to only loading the chain to less than 1000#.

IMO this is a strike against the RV MFG for playing games with established engineering principles and a strike against the tire mfg for playing along.

This is not the first time I have seen a tire company and RV mfg stack the deck. Of course if you go this route you would be forced to always find tires with 3520# rating. Good Luck with that.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #46
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Tried to get info on the tires. The site indicated it is for Canadian customers only.
Wonder if the tires are available in US?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #47
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
The Goodyear "China" tires don't have a very good reputation either...can easily find tons of posts of people having issues with them as well...they may fare better than other Chinese tires but just barely.
It is a fact that over half of RV trailers are overloading one or more tires.
Also many exceed the tire speed capability of their tires.

If the number one spec RV assemblers have for the tires they buy is low cost and neither the tire company, importer or RV assembler show any willingness to offer more than a few months warranty (if that) why would the tire mfg spend extra $ to improve the durability of the tires and loose the sale?

If 95% or more of tires on RV trailers are made in China why would we be surprised if most complaints of tire failures are about tires made in China?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Tried to get info on the tires. The site indicated it is for Canadian customers only.
Wonder if the tires are available in US?
I added the link because it does provide this information.

Double steel belts for enhanced strength helping puncture resistance and vehicle towing stability.

Long life and low rolling resistance compound to offer long original treadwear and to promote fuel economy.

Full nylon cap available in all sizes for improved uniformity and durability.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #49

We have about 18k miles over 2 seasons on our Columbus 320RS that came with Westlakes and haven't had any problems. I have a friend in the tire business that says Westlakes aren't bad tires. I check pressure religiously, stay 65 mph or under, and run a TPMS. I think all those things make a big difference no matter the tire manufacturer.

2013 Columbus 320RS
2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually 6.7 Cummins
Days Camped 2013 - 50
skipperW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperW View Post
We have about 18k miles over 2 seasons on our Columbus 320RS that came with Westlakes and haven't had any problems. I have a friend in the tire business that says Westlakes aren't bad tires. I check pressure religiously, stay 65 mph or under, and run a TPMS. I think all those things make a big difference no matter the tire manufacturer.
I'm kind of thinking the same thing, I keep my speed between 55 to 65mph and I keep my air pressure checked.
I may have been lucky over my last 16 yrs. of towing our old TT and never had a tire issue(flat) but I kept my speed 55 to 65 and my tire press. checked also. I have always had Goodyear Marathon tires and never had a issue with them the way I maintained my tires. I think these Westlake tire will preform as good I hope any way, I will find out. I don't want to waste my money on tires I haven't given a chance to preform. I'll just keep maintaining these the same way as I always have my other tires and see how they do. If I have any issues then I'll look for a different brand of tire. I think we are hard pressed now days to find products produced here in the good old USA. I try to always buy MADE IN USA OR CANADA when at all possible to keep our countries a float and I think all US citizens should. I know sometimes it can't be helped but we should when possible.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 10-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
I added the link because it does provide this information.

Double steel belts for enhanced strength helping puncture resistance and vehicle towing stability.

Long life and low rolling resistance compound to offer long original treadwear and to promote fuel economy.

Full nylon cap available in all sizes for improved uniformity and durability.
2 steel belts ! nice PR. I don't think you will find a passenger or LT tire that doesn't have 2 steel belts.
Long Life low rolling resistance compounds. Relative to what?

Nylon cap is in many tires. Just read the sidewall to see if your current tires have Nylon in the tread.

Sorry just too much PR fluff for me to take seriously. I do not no statement of the company warranty.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
2 steel belts ! nice PR. I don't think you will find a passenger or LT tire that doesn't have 2 steel belts.
Long Life low rolling resistance compounds. Relative to what?

Nylon cap is in many tires. Just read the sidewall to see if your current tires have Nylon in the tread.

Sorry just too much PR fluff for me to take seriously. I do not no statement of the company warranty.

So, you don't like the overview. Here is one from Michelin on their XPS rib..
--------------------------------------------
Long-Lasting Commercial Tire
Tread compounds specifically developed for commercial applications help tires last longer so your business dollars go farther.
Steel-Casing Strength
Steel casing adds strength and allows retreading to greatly extend the life of the tire and keep it on the job.
---------------------------------------------

They build them, what do you expect them to say?

Not long ago the nylon cap was not found on many ST tires. As they come on the line with them it's nice to know the manufacturers that have added them. Just maybe it has something to say about their quality program.

A

On edit; Tireco is the major retailer.

http://www.tireco.com/

Here is their warranty.

http://www.tireco.com/warranty
Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #53
Commercial Member

I tried to contact westlake tire to learn about their warranty. Was informed they only sell in Canada so they would not even tell me what their warranty was.
If you somehow end up with this brand I think you might be on your own for any service or warranty if you are in the US.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #54

Well I'm sure Palomino Columbus have been putting the Westlake tires on a lot of there TT and 5ers. Warranty??? What warranty. LOL
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 10-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #55
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
Well I'm sure Palomino Columbus have been putting the Westlake tires on a lot of there TT and 5ers. Warranty??? What warranty. LOL
X2 on my Wildcat!!!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #56
Commercial Member

Warranty length, or lack there-of IMO is an indication of the confidence the manufacturer has in the durability of their product.

Would you buy a new car that had no warranty?

Would you buy a new TV with no warranty?

How about a new toaster?

Who's hand tools are better quality? Sears with lifetime warranty or Harbor Freight with 30 day?

Why then would you buy a set of tires or an RV that had no or no useful warranty yet expect trouble free use? If you do make such a purchase then I suggest you not bother to post any complaints if/when you have problems.

NOTE I have a two part post on my blog just on tire Quality and magazine ratings to be published 10/17 & 10/21
Old 10-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #57

Quality Tires: Goodyear Marathon or Maxxis ST Radial
Choose one or the other IMHO both perform equally well - both have fanboy/girl camps

Why are we still having this discussion?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote