Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
I added the link because it does provide this information.

Double steel belts for enhanced strength helping puncture resistance and vehicle towing stability.

Long life and low rolling resistance compound to offer long original treadwear and to promote fuel economy.

Full nylon cap available in all sizes for improved uniformity and durability.
2 steel belts ! nice PR. I don't think you will find a passenger or LT tire that doesn't have 2 steel belts.
Long Life low rolling resistance compounds. Relative to what?

Nylon cap is in many tires. Just read the sidewall to see if your current tires have Nylon in the tread.

Sorry just too much PR fluff for me to take seriously. I do not no statement of the company warranty.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
2 steel belts ! nice PR. I don't think you will find a passenger or LT tire that doesn't have 2 steel belts.
Long Life low rolling resistance compounds. Relative to what?

Nylon cap is in many tires. Just read the sidewall to see if your current tires have Nylon in the tread.

Sorry just too much PR fluff for me to take seriously. I do not no statement of the company warranty.

So, you don't like the overview. Here is one from Michelin on their XPS rib..
--------------------------------------------
Long-Lasting Commercial Tire
Tread compounds specifically developed for commercial applications help tires last longer so your business dollars go farther.
Steel-Casing Strength
Steel casing adds strength and allows retreading to greatly extend the life of the tire and keep it on the job.
---------------------------------------------

They build them, what do you expect them to say?

Not long ago the nylon cap was not found on many ST tires. As they come on the line with them it's nice to know the manufacturers that have added them. Just maybe it has something to say about their quality program.

A

On edit; Tireco is the major retailer.

http://www.tireco.com/

Here is their warranty.

http://www.tireco.com/warranty

Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #53
Commercial Member

I tried to contact westlake tire to learn about their warranty. Was informed they only sell in Canada so they would not even tell me what their warranty was.
If you somehow end up with this brand I think you might be on your own for any service or warranty if you are in the US.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 10-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #54

Well I'm sure Palomino Columbus have been putting the Westlake tires on a lot of there TT and 5ers. Warranty??? What warranty. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #55
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
Well I'm sure Palomino Columbus have been putting the Westlake tires on a lot of there TT and 5ers. Warranty??? What warranty. LOL
X2 on my Wildcat!!!
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Warranty length, or lack there-of IMO is an indication of the confidence the manufacturer has in the durability of their product.

Would you buy a new car that had no warranty?

Would you buy a new TV with no warranty?

How about a new toaster?

Who's hand tools are better quality? Sears with lifetime warranty or Harbor Freight with 30 day?

Why then would you buy a set of tires or an RV that had no or no useful warranty yet expect trouble free use? If you do make such a purchase then I suggest you not bother to post any complaints if/when you have problems.

NOTE I have a two part post on my blog just on tire Quality and magazine ratings to be published 10/17 & 10/21
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 10-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #57

Quality Tires: Goodyear Marathon or Maxxis ST Radial
Choose one or the other IMHO both perform equally well - both have fanboy/girl camps

Why are we still having this discussion?

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote