Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

How long should I wait?

I have read enough to be nervous about my tires. I have a 2011(mnfc last of 2010) Puma 295kbh. I am sweating the tires after reading some posts. I am sure the tires are original to my trailer. Previous owner said they only had it out 5or6 times. Still smells new. The places they camped where like 50 miles away. Bla bla. Anyway I would figure less than 1000 miles on tires. They look as new.
When should I sweat the tire age. I don't see anything wrong with them yet.

I have checked tire clearance. Scared me there.
I have looked at my slide guides and bottom. No problem.
I have been nervous about the wheel chocking. Got a full set.
And I learned about jack knifing. Hard way.
Insulated tv antenna from roof.

Should I be worried about my tires?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Always Learning

You'll get lots of opinions that range from "no one should ever keep OEM tires" to "my OEM tires lasted 20,000 miles and 5+ years".

At the end of the day, it seems to be a bit of luck of the draw. If I were you, I'd likely ensure that they were properly inflated to the appropriate maximum (either on the sidewall or on the placard on the camper) and inspect them regularly for signs of dry rot or other issues (a large bubble claimed one of my tires).

Most trailer tires age out at 4-5 years long before they wear out due to miles put on the tire.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

If it were me and the hip pocket can stand it, I would replace them with the next higher load range in a Goodyear Marathon. Voice of experience after $1800 damage from a 1 year old new trailer. From my experience only, it is not a matter of if you'll have trouble, it's a matter of when.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #4

Do they hold steady air pressure?
How fast are you going to drive?
How much weight do you plan on loading?
Do you see any visible problems, dry looking rubber, cracks, tread separation or flat spots?
Are the valve stems rubber or metal, if rubber are there any problems or leaks?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Denver, CO

If you are well within the tires max load, like at least several hundred pounds under, and religious about inflation then you are safe as you can be. I can't believe that ALL of these tires blow, or all of the new campers on the road would be riddling the highway all tore up and shreaded.

However, it's not a bad idea to change them, as OC says. Go up one load range.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #6

Thank you for quick responses.
Coot. I agree with the deal on "go ahead". There has been lots of money spent already.

I apologize. I have not done a good job of being a TPM. Human tire pressure monitor. In a hurry. Maiden voyage and they looked ok. Heck I was reading a book an idiots guide to camping till the night before we left. I am and will check them before we leave again. "They looked ok" the dude I got it from(OCD) said he checked them a few times and they never needed attention and they did to me, so I went with it then.
I will check further. Get the size, rating, and get the stems changed to metal. Then I will talk to God some more... Evaluate my bank account and figure out something. I have 2 other utility trailers. I can find a use for them(less important).
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

You didn't mention the brand of tire you have. I have a 2011 Flagstaff and it has Duro tires. over 18,000 miles in the 4 years we have owned it and the tires are still in good shape. Yes they show some wear which I expect but they would probably last another year but will get replaced next spring prior to heading out for our vacation. They do not even lose any pressure over the winter. Of course I keep them covered and use the TST tire monitor system as well. Good luck in your decision what ever way you choose to go. FWIW at this point in the year I would at least wait till spring to ensure you get the newest tires possible prior to camping season at which time your tires will probably be the industry recommended 5 years old and time to replace anyway.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Thank you for quick responses.
Coot. I agree with the deal on "go ahead". There has been lots of money spent already.

I apologize. I have not done a good job of being a TPM. Human tire pressure monitor. In a hurry. Maiden voyage and they looked ok. Heck I was reading a book an idiots guide to camping till the night before we left. I am and will check them before we leave again. "They looked ok" the dude I got it from(OCD) said he checked them a few times and they never needed attention and they did to me, so I went with it then.
I will check further. Get the size, rating, and get the stems changed to metal. Then I will talk to God some more... Evaluate my bank account and figure out something. I have 2 other utility trailers. I can find a use for them(less important).

Get them balanced also.

The thing with 'camping' as in most things in life... It will take longer to get 'there' and do things and cost more while you are doing it. Experience does not always come from a book, it comes from doing. Don't go through life saying, "I wish that I had did that".... Just Do it when the opportunity arises, and cross it off your bucket list. And when you have those moments when you are 'late' (and you are always late, at least I am), slow down and enjoy the day, because every time (or was that every other time) 'something' will happen that will make you even later.... I speak from experience.

Having fun takes a lot of work. Safety first and always.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote