Old 03-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by mhartzel View Post
The first time I greased my hubs, I used more than a full tube of grease between both hubs before I saw any movement near the nipple/zerk.
I too used a bunch of grease the 1st time.

The grease coming out never seems to clear up completely, so I just pump until it is a lighter shade of black.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
Enough grease is necessary, but more is better does not the rest here got nervous having to pump it full.....but after it filled and worked correctly is giving good service.....I service mine on the ground .... seems to me if you have to jack and spin to service you have waited too long .... and should probably replace the bearings.
Our wheel mechanic said bring it to him at 10000 miles....and he would replace the bearings....said I could do the 10-2 grab to see if far no movement that I can detect....we are at 8k tire or wheel troubles....good luck

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
Can't remember how much lube mine took the first time. This was after a trip from the dealer in Denver over to Utah and one short camping trip (less than 50 miles in UT) before I lubed the hubs. I pumped quite a bit of old grease out and when the grease turned purple (Royal Purple Grease), I stopped.
Now, as I did on Saturday, a couple pumps is all I'll do since the void between the bearings is filled. And, I did not raise and spin the tires this time. Not really sure it was needed the first time.
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
Apply grease cautiously, follow directions completely, otherwise could be costly mistake. Blown rear seal could cause reduced or no braking and as I found out just a few weeks ago, new hubs, brakes and magnets to the tune of $1000.

Be safe and keep on RVing.
2006 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Prime Time Lacrosse 303RKS
2007 Hensley Arrow Hitch
PT Crew Member 125
Good Sam Club, Cedar Creek Sams Chapter
Passport America Member
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #15
I have found that the ez lube hubs are good for a few pumps of grease before each trip. The ez lube hubs does not replace the recommended repacking annually. I repack mine annually and it gives me an opportunity to check the brakes and so on. Like was mentioned if your seals are old or you over grease it will spill out on the back of your tires and cover your brake pads and magnets. I learned that the hard way with my first trailer with ez lube axles.
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Watch "Lubricating the Dexter E-Z Lube Axle by Bug Smacků" on YouTube
Lubricating the Dexter E-Z Lube Axle by Bug Smacků:

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #17
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
Since the grease thins with heat, and is under pressure with greaseable hubs....
You are half right (as you stated later in the thread, EZLubes aren't pressurized). But you are correct that grease heats up and expands. I was an auto mechanic "back in the day" and learned as an apprentice that it is important to leave the center of the hub free of grase to allow for expansion and heat dissipation.
Conscientious users of the EZLube still advocate pulling and inspecting periodically. So why waste all that grease filling up a hub that shouldn't be filled to begin with?
And the debate continues ...
Wright and Penny
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
Our wheel mechanic said bring it to him at 10000 miles....and he would replace the bearings....said I could do the 10-2 grab to see if far no movement that I can detect....we are at 8k tire or wheel troubles....good luck
There is absolutely no reason to replace bearings unless they are carefully inspected and found to have an issue. If bearings are replaced the inner cup should also be replaced. Little difficult to remove and many "mechanics" won't change them and use the excuse " Nothing wrong with them"' Cups come with a new bearing kit for a reason. I would never reuse a cup when replacing bearing.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote