Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 107
How much grease?

I have the Super Lube Lippert hubs on my Sabre and went to grease them today. I followed the procedure for greasing the bearings, which states to pump grease until you see the old grease seeping out at the cap. I never could see where the grease was seeping out, so I stopped after a while because I was afraid of over-greasing and blowing out the rear seal.

How many pumps of grease from a grease gun do most of you pump into the fitting before you see it start to seep out?
__________________

__________________
2012 Palomino Sabre 32BHTS
2008 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE 4x4 Duramax
clange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
Experienced Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: My house, sometimes my camper
Posts: 282
The first time I greased my hubs, I used more than a full tube of grease between both hubs before I saw any movement near the nipple/zerk. Ever since, I have put a pump or two in before each trip.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________

__________________

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhartzel View Post
The first time I greased my hubs, I used more than a full tube of grease between both hubs before I saw any movement near the nipple/zerk. Ever since, I have put a pump or two in before each trip.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forest River Forums mobile app

That makes me feel a lot better...I put about 20 or so shots of grease in each one and quit at that point for fear of causing a problem.

I think that's a great idea to give it 2 or 3 pumps before each trip. I think I'll start doing the same!

Thanks!
__________________
2012 Palomino Sabre 32BHTS
2008 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE 4x4 Duramax
clange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,370
The reason they take so much grease the first time is the bearings are packed the proper way when they are installed and you have that big cavity inside the hub you need to fill with grease before any will start to come out of the front per the instructions.
__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,316
be careful with over greasing. Since the grease thins with heat, and is under pressure with greaseable hubs, you could end up greasing your brakes. By the time you see it, the damage is done.
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
PhoneDude 8289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,084
Greased mine yesterday. 3 month old RV and here is what I found. One wheel took a couple of pumps, two more wheel took four - five pumps and one wheel took 14 pumps. Wheels were taken off the ground one at a time turning them as I pumped the grease in.
__________________
Joe & Beverly
2014 Ram CTD, CC, SB
2014 8289WS lifted
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
be careful with over greasing. Since the grease thins with heat, and is under pressure with greaseable hubs, you could end up greasing your brakes. By the time you see it, the damage is done.
Shouldn't be under pressure unless you are using Bearing Buddys. The EzLube system is non pressure.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Shouldn't be under pressure unless you are using Bearing Buddys. The EzLube system is non pressure.
you are correct. I guess I should have been more specific. Just making the point that regardless of what system you use, not to overdo it. While occasional greasing is a must, grease is not "consumed" so greasing to often could be harmful to.
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Greased mine yesterday. 3 month old RV and here is what I found. One wheel took a couple of pumps, two more wheel took four - five pumps and one wheel took 14 pumps. Wheels were taken off the ground one at a time turning them as I pumped the grease in.

Wow. I was nowhere near as fortunate. I suppose my hubs are more like SaskCampers said and I need to fill the void between the bearings.

I think I'll probably latch on to my Sabre and drag it down the road a bit to heat up the bearings some and then I'll pump some more grease in and hopefully fill up the empty cavity between the bearings.
__________________
2012 Palomino Sabre 32BHTS
2008 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE 4x4 Duramax
clange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Site Team
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
The reason they take so much grease the first time is the bearings are packed the proper way when they are installed and you have that big cavity inside the hub you need to fill with grease before any will start to come out of the front per the instructions.
Yes. Mine took a lot the first time also. I wouldn't assume that the factory always does a good job of greasing. I buddy of mine bought a new Rockwood; assumed all was good; almost immediately burned out a bearing. IMO, it is wise to go out there and grease it right away. After you've done that, it is easy to do a few pumps once in awhile as maintenance. My trailer has 30K on it now. I had the bearings examined and re-packed at 25K. They were perfect.
__________________

__________________
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.