Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #1

I bought the TST507 TPMS

Beyond some programming hassles that my limited brain function may have caused I have the following issues. Feed back on these will be appreciated.

I don't know the upper and lower pressures that I should have programmed into the system and also the tire temperature settings. This system seems to come preprogrammed for larger trucks.

I have BF Goodrich tires on a Sunseeker. I didn't see anything on the BF Goodrich web site to help me.

I had to remove the front wheel covers to have clearance for the sensors and I am reluctant to reinstall those wheel covers. So now I have some very nice chrome lug nuts on display. Not bad.

It was a major hassle for me to get the rear sensors on the duels, especially the inner tires. There is now about 5/16 of an inch space between the two stems with the sensors attached. I am concerned that they may touch while underway. I had my valves lined up one behind the other as had been suggested in this forum. Prior to that my inner valve stems were not visible.

The sensors give me a pressure reading that does not agree with my tire pressure gauges. I have one gauge that I have been using reliably since the 70's but it is not suitable to use on duals. I have purchased a few others recently that are all within a couple of pounds of each other but about four or five pounds off from these sensors. One is a Slime and the other two are by Tire Minder, one digital and one analog.

Should I be worried about driving with the stems of the sensors so close together?

Do I really need to use the locking collar?

With the rear stem situation I had to leave off the metal tire stem caps which leaves me uncomfortable.

TIA,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post

I don't know the upper and lower pressures that I should have programmed into the system and also the tire temperature settings. This system seems to come preprogrammed for larger trucks.
I can only help here: watch the video online on how to set up the system. If I remember, you want the high pressure limit 5 psi above the recommended pressure found on the sidewall. Low limit 5 psi below. Tire temp is only a high limit - use the TST recommendation.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Site Team

If you set the tire pressure 5 PSI above the recommended cold pressure, you will have alarms. A normal tire will increase more than 5 lbs from cold to highway temps.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
clr

On my TST507 instructions it said to set the high pressure at 20% above the recommended cold set pressure and the low pressure at 10% below. Just a FYI you must set the low pressure first prior to being able to set the high pressure. This is true if the high pressure is less than 120 PSI if I recall.

Leaving off the caps is not a very good idea. I had one tire guy say some tire vendors claim that the cap holds the pressure in the tire, and if no cap they will not cover the warranty for the tire. Seems odd to me but vendors do require the caps.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I can only help here: watch the video online on how to set up the system. If I remember, you want the high pressure limit 5 psi above the recommended pressure found on the sidewall. Low limit 5 psi below. Tire temp is only a high limit - use the TST recommendation.
I intended to watch the video again but forgot to do so.

I will go with the preset high temp reading unless someone tells me otherwise. Although it seems really high.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you set the tire pressure 5 PSI above the recommended cold pressure, you will have alarms. A normal tire will increase more than 5 lbs from cold to highway temps.
Right now I am planning to change my high pressure reading to 10 pounds over my normal. I think if I monitor the temp with use I will have a better idea as to what will avoid unnecessary alarms.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
On my TST507 instructions it said to set the high pressure at 20% above the recommended cold set pressure and the low pressure at 10% below. Just a FYI you must set the low pressure first prior to being able to set the high pressure. This is true if the high pressure is less than 120 PSI if I recall.

Leaving off the caps is not a very good idea. I had one tire guy say some tire vendors claim that the cap holds the pressure in the tire, and if no cap they will not cover the warranty for the tire. Seems odd to me but vendors do require the caps.
All that you said makes sense and I will read the instructions for the umpteenth time. Too many concussions takes a toll on the brain functions.

i have heard the same about the metal stem caps since I was a teenager long ago.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #8

TPS

I have used the system for 2 years now NO problems - as far as temp - I had to call the manufacture, as far as tire pressure - same thing ask manufacture, but there should be a sticker in your home with pressure on it, Also as a last I have all my tires filled with nitrogen - the coach rides smoother and the tire pressure does not rise as much when tires are heated from road friction.
I have a Forest River diesel pusher.
Mike J
emt2361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:19 PM   #9

You can and will "grow into" the system as you use it you will become aware of the settings and be able to watch the temps and the pressures increase when traveling on the monitor.

Setting something other than defaults as a new user will cause you some grief I think. As you become familiar with the unit you can make changes... nothing will require re installation of the stem monitors, so the hard part is over.

My sensors seem to read 2-3# lower @ 50# then my trusty digital meter, but I now know when they read 47# my gauge will read 49-50#.

Don't make them overly complicated as a new user...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Also, on the rear duals, the valve stems should be 180 degrees from each other....not in line
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #11

I'm confused about why there is only 5/16" between the stems on the duals? The stems should be 180• apart be because of balancing.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #12

The stem issue

When I purchased this motorhome the inside duel stems were not visible to me or anyone who looked for them.

When I got new tires I followed the advice of some on this forum saying that the stems should be one behind the other. I liked that idea so that one could check pressure and adjust as necessary. I also noticed that when looking at new RVs that all the Ford chassis had the stems near each other.

I guess I can have the outer rims rotated 180º but I will only do that if I have access to both stems. I will visit a tire shop or the place whee I got the tires to see if that will work.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
You can and will "grow into" the system as you use it you will become aware of the settings and be able to watch the temps and the pressures increase when traveling on the monitor.

Setting something other than defaults as a new user will cause you some grief I think. As you become familiar with the unit you can make changes... nothing will require re installation of the stem monitors, so the hard part is over.

My sensors seem to read 2-3# lower @ 50# then my trusty digital meter, but I now know when they read 47# my gauge will read 49-50#.

Don't make them overly complicated as a new user...
OK, thanks. Now I know that may me the norm on the difference in tire pressure.

Thank for the good advice.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

If the tires are balanced, it should not make any difference whether they are 180 degrees rotated or 1 degree. I would mount them so the stems are as close together as possible just for the convenience of checking them.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #15
7 Year Class A RV'er

My "design" pressure on the tires us 120 psi cold. That's what I keep them at here in Florida. Just got back from five weeks on the road with some temps around 40F that brought the pressure down to about 105-110 psi just due to temp. I did basically what clr indicated from that manual with a low around 100 (about 15% below norm) and a high around 130 (about 10% over). On the temps, I just left the defaults in. I can tell you that today with air temps of 89F and five hours of driving at 65 mph, my tire temps were around 90. Also, I had been losing signal from the sensors on the toad, so I added the repeater this trip and it worked great. No signal loss at all. Rather than install it where it could possibly drain a battery, I bought a 110V to 12V converter for LED lights and mounted everything in the cabinet behind the bedroom TV and plugged it in there. The inverter keeps it powered while driving, so no battery drain. I think the converter was $10 on Amazon and connected straight to the repeater.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #16

TPMS

I installed a TireMinder TM66 system last weekend on my TT. Tire minder states in their manual that due to variances the pressure reading should be within 3%. I inflated my tires to 50PSI as measured by a certified pressure gauge. None of the sensors were within limits. Two were over 4 PSI out of limits. When I called tire minder they said I should just adjust the baseline pressure to account for the differences. I said not acceptable. They are now (supposedly) sending me 4 new sensors that have been calibrated and tested to be within tolerances. I'll wait and see.
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigflag View Post
I installed a TireMinder TM66 system last weekend on my TT. Tire minder states in their manual that due to variances the pressure reading should be within 3%. I inflated my tires to 50PSI as measured by a certified pressure gauge. None of the sensors were within limits. Two were over 4 PSI out of limits. When I called tire minder they said I should just adjust the baseline pressure to account for the differences. I said not acceptable. They are now (supposedly) sending me 4 new sensors that have been calibrated and tested to be within tolerances. I'll wait and see.
Good for you. Let us know what happens with the replacements.