Old 07-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #11

Looks like you ran over something. It is hard to see something only 2-3 inches in length. Hopefully road hazard coverage will take care of it.

I had even had a piece of deer bone in a tire.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
Site Team

It's hard to really tell from the angles and such. I can look down at the sidewalls and know it was run flat enough that the inside is destroyed (the wavy sidewalls). As far as what appears to be a cut near the tread, it's hard to know without probing it and seeing if it's a true cut, or if the tread belt(s) are lifting at that point, since it appears to also be some indentations on the tread at that point. Don't really know what was done at the moment of failure vs what was done from running it on flat till you could safely stop.

Also on the inside of the tire/wheel, near the bead, is that part of the tire I see sticking out, or is is just black on the rim flange where it was run flat?

Hypochondria is the only illness I don't have.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Thats what I was hoping to here, I just recently installed a TPMS system and figured if it works just once it has paid for itself.
X2
2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags, (not really used, left over from our truck camper). Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch. TST 507 TPMS. Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera. Garmin RV-760 GPS
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #14

Hear.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #15

Glad to hear the TPMS worked. I am returning from Alaska. My TPMS alerted me to a slow leak in my toad. It was a screw in the tire. Definitely worth the money for the TPMS

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:17 AM   #16

Wmtire, that's the rim, I did drive on it about a mile or so at about 10mph so I could get to an off ramp. There I felt relatively save changing it.

I posted this just for the sake of discussion, but the tire is still in the bed of my truck if you want more pictures I'll be glad to post them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #17

We had a previous experience with less than 400 miles on our TV. We were driving just after dark in light rain on I75 in GA. The TV TPM indicated a loss of tire pressure in the RR corner tire. We were just approaching an off ramp so we managed to get off. The tire was destroyed by road debris that we could not see. Because it was Sat. night, we had to hold over until Monday to get an exact tire replacement. No road hazard coverage. We now carry a full size spare for the TV just in case. Fortunately, the new vehicle technology kept the TV and trailer in a straight line. No damage to the rim. The road service tech indicated that is was a road debris puncture (similar to yours) and not a tire failure.

Strangely, it is not always the leading tire to get damaged. We have been told that the steel belts from tire debris on the highway can puncture a tire.We will never know what caused our tire's demise.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:10 PM   #18

A friend who was a Michelin test driver had a theory of the order of frequency that tires get punctures. The RR tire is the most frequent, and I saw enough in my years in the business that I have to say he was right.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
A friend who was a Michelin test driver had a theory of the order of frequency that tires get punctures. The RR tire is the most frequent, and I saw enough in my years in the business that I have to say he was right.
That jives too with as many tires that we repair each week. The most common in order of repairs is the right rear, the right front, the left rear, the left front.

My theory on this is:

The right side tires are near the shoulders of the road, where everything (trash, nails, etc) eventually gets pushed over to, either by vehicles or water. The front right tire can kick it up where the back right tire gets punctured.

The front right tire is next, as it may just hit the object directly first, and gets punctured.

Now, the left rear tire is next in frequency because the same applies as the front tire kicks it up and the back tire gets punctured.

Then that leaves the front left tire, which is the one we repair the least

The best (or worse depending on your point of view) thing to cause tire punctures is heavy rains (which washes all kind of stuff onto the roads) and street sweepers (that also pull things off the shoulders into the roads that don't get vacuumed up). I have actually watched street sweepers throw stuff over into other lanes in roadways.

Hypochondria is the only illness I don't have.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That jives too with as many tires that we repair each week. The most common in order of repairs is the right rear, the right front, the left rear, the left front.

My theory on this is:

The right side tires are near the shoulders of the road, where everything (trash, nails, etc) eventually gets pushed over to, either by vehicles or water. The front right tire can kick it up where the back right tire gets punctured.

The front right tire is next, as it may just hit the object directly first, and gets punctured.

Now, the left rear tire is next in frequency because the same applies as the front tire kicks it up and the back tire gets punctured.

Then that leaves the front left tire, which is the one we repair the least

The best (or worse depending on your point of view) thing to cause tire punctures is heavy rains (which washes all kind of stuff onto the roads) and street sweepers (that also pull things off the shoulders into the roads that don't get vacuumed up). I have actually watched street sweepers throw stuff over into other lanes in roadways.
And THAT is EXACTLY what he taught me.

Tags
tire