Old 08-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #51

Sorry to say, the best RV tire made is likely to fail anywhere near OK City on I35. If you want to see how well your RV is made, travel this section of Interstate a few times and good luck, you'll need it!

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #52

I-35 on Oklahoma was actually pretty good. Must have just fixed it.
I-35 in Texas was terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Sorry to say, the best RV tire made is likely to fail anywhere near OK City on I35. If you want to see how well your RV is made, travel this section of Interstate a few times and good luck, you'll need it!
Yes, having done a lot of traveling in several states up and down the east coast, it's apparent the roads, especially interstates are sadly in need of repair: crying:. This and lesser quality tires (from 20 years ago) really present more problems. I've been RVing for over 40 years and see an steady increase in tire failures.
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #54

Here is our tire failure it was a Castle Rock ST.It had 8 months and 1729 miles on it before it seperated.Did some damage to the flooring above.The tire dealer Forest River sent us to stated the tire failed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3650.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	472.1 KB
ID:	117710  
Old 08-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #55
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo67 View Post
Here is our tire failure it was a Castle Rock ST.It had 8 months and 1729 miles on it before it seperated.Did some damage to the flooring above.The tire dealer Forest River sent us to stated the tire failed.
That is a tread separation. Most of those can be traced to design or manufacturing.
What is the DOT serial so we can ID the plant that made the tire. This should be reported to NHTSA as they need the facts before they can force a MFG to do a recall.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo67 View Post
Tireman thinks it's design, and I bow to his expertise, but think about this, too:

I'm assuming you mean YOU had 8 months and 1729 miles on it?

What is the date of manufacture? Where did you buy your TT from? It had to be delivered from Indiana to wherever you bought it and who knows how nicely they were treated on the way. (I see lots of them being delivered up through Illinois. The transport guy is doing 70+ mph down the interstate.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #57
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Tireman thinks it's design, and I bow to his expertise, but think about this, too:

I'm assuming you mean YOU had 8 months and 1729 miles on it?

What is the date of manufacture? Where did you buy your TT from? It had to be delivered from Indiana to wherever you bought it and who knows how nicely they were treated on the way. (I see lots of them being delivered up through Illinois. The transport guy is doing 70+ mph down the interstate.)

There is little question that running a tire at speed above its rated limit is not good for the tire. The good news is that the new trailer was at it's minimum weight, so I would not lay blame at feet of delivery company (but they need to do a better job).

Tires should be able to run at rated load with full inflation much longer than 1800 miles. Tread separations are a function of the properties of the rubber compounds used around the steel and between the belts and tread. There are construction features (strips of Nylon) that can significantly improve the strength of a tine in the belt edge area. I see indication of that feature in this tire.
If I am reading the picture correctly we are seeing the top steel belt. This would indicate the weakness was between belts and tread. Again special compounds are available to ensure this bond is strong enough but in this case it wasn't.

Again. File a complaint with NHTSA on the "Tread Separation" You will need the RV VIN and the tire DOT serial. In the complaint indicate you have picture of failed tire. A single complaint will not get a replacement but if everyone (most?) that had a failure on this tire it might.

Early separations are usually an indication of design (specification) or manufacturing (incorrect mixing or formulation of rubber) error.

With Design based problem a large % of the tires would have similar failure. With Manufacturing it may be a "batch" (few hundred) made at the same time. This is why knowing the DOT is so important. If there is a spike in the numbers over a one or 2 week period it would point to factory issue. If there is a low umber but constant across most weeks of production then specification is probably the issue.

This thought process is how failure analysis is doen and root cause identified.

Tags
tire