Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
john I
 
johnemt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 39
ideas? tire ware

i have a 2012 columbus 365RL 5th wheel and the other day i noticed that the rear tire on the right. the outside edge is showing heavy ware the center is good the inside is wareing but not as bad and the rear tire on the left is starting to ware the same but not as bad as right. only have 600 miles on them any one know what might be going on. trailer is not over loaded not even close to the GVWR. I did notices that the trailer is not level on the truck front is about 2 or 3 inches lower in the front then the back. don't know if that could cause this problem.

Thanks in advance
__________________

__________________
John I
2012 Columbus 365RL
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 cummins
1963 5'2" wife Sheri
johnemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
amxpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 683
If the tire pressure is set to 80 psi and you're getting that kind of wear, you might have either a bent axle and/or an alignment problem. There are shops that can check the alignment of both axles. The way you describe the level of the trailer should not effect the tire wear you're experiencing.
Talk to you dealer about having the trailer's alignment checked.
__________________

__________________
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
If the tire pressure is set to 80 psi and you're getting that kind of wear, you might have either a bent axle and/or an alignment problem. There are shops that can check the alignment of both axles. The way you describe the level of the trailer should not effect the tire wear you're experiencing.
Talk to you dealer about having the trailer's alignment checked.
If he is wearing the inside and outside but not the center, it is a low inflation type wear. Alignment or bent axle will wear one or the other, but not both inside and outside at the same time.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
If he is wearing the inside and outside but not the center, it is a low inflation type wear. Alignment or bent axle will wear one or the other, but not both inside and outside at the same time.
That camper's corners need to be weighed. He may very well be overloaded in that corner even with 80 PSI. The max wheel load determines the correct pressure for 100% tread contact with the ground. If he already has the max PSI, he is overloaded.

The attachment and a visit to a CAT scale that can weigh individual wheels will tell the tale.

How To Weigh | CAT Scale
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weigh Your RV - Bridgestone.pdf (447.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf 2011_Truck_Payload_Workbook.pdf (185.8 KB, 21 views)
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
john I
 
johnemt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 39
update tire ware

found out today that the tire ware i had posted on my new columbus is from a bent axle. Now my dealer needs Forest Rivers blessing to have it replaced. i have owned 7 campers each with thier little issuses but this takes the cake.

You would have thought that this is such a safety issue that forriv would not even question it.
__________________
John I
2012 Columbus 365RL
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 cummins
1963 5'2" wife Sheri
johnemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnemt View Post
I did notices that the trailer is not level on the truck front is about 2 or 3 inches lower in the front then the back. don't know if that could cause this problem.
Glad to hear that the problem has been determined.

If the front of the camper is 2 to 3 inches lower than the back, why don't you raise your hitch (or lower the pinbox) to get it level? One set of holes on the hitch should be about right.

That way the load may be better distributed over both axles and more clearance over the truck's bed rails is never bad.

Dave
__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
johnemt

Glad to hear that you found the answer quickly and your dealer is taking care of the axle.

I just sent you an PM with a personal question.

John I aka Iggy
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnemt View Post
found out today that the tire ware i had posted on my new columbus is from a bent axle. Now my dealer needs Forest Rivers blessing to have it replaced. i have owned 7 campers each with thier little issuses but this takes the cake.

You would have thought that this is such a safety issue that forriv would not even question it.
how do you know its not overloaded ? have you weighed it ?


TURBS
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
john I
 
johnemt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 39
did not

No because i do not carry that much to bring it to capacity,and only carry half tank of water nothing in the holding tanks.
__________________

__________________
John I
2012 Columbus 365RL
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 cummins
1963 5'2" wife Sheri
johnemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.