Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #1

Increase Wheel Size on trailer?

I need to replace the tires on my Coachmen Clipper. It appears that trailer tires mostly come already mounted on rims, so if I have to replace the rims too I'm wondering if I should increase the wheel size from the current 13 inch to 14 inch.

Assuming they will fit in the wheel wells, what are the advantages/disadvantages of increasing the size from 13 to 14? I'm aware that the larger wheel will not change the load capacity (which is limited by other factors such as the axle, but I am thinking that the larger radius will decrease the rotational speed and thus reduce chances of an overheat related failure.

The tires installed by the factory are ST185/80R13 with load range D, a possible replacement being https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Traile...ACXSJ101G.html. I'm considering ST205/75R14, also load range D, such as https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...74-000014.html
jamoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #2

Just have to watch what the axle weight rating is. Some of the smaller wheel spindles can't handle the added rotational loading of a larger wheel/tire. Had that with a axle that was rated for 1500 lbs. I had 14 inch wheels on it and an accident bent it. When I got the new axle, that's when I needed a minimum 3500 axle for 14 inch wheels. I did go from 14 inch wheels to 15 inch radicals on my car trailer. That was to get higher grade tires.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

If you're going to change from 13 to 14" wheels, that's the time to go from D to E-rated, regardless of your load, and if you can find an E. Simply put, an E-rated tire, properly aired to the load, will give you an extra margin of reliability and adds little to the cost of new tires.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #4

Assuming a tandem axle check the inter-tire distance. The 14" rim tires in question are 1.5" larger in diameter than the 13" and will consequently close the distance between the two tires by that amount. Usually plenty of space but check.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoody View Post
I need to replace the tires on my Coachmen Clipper. It appears that trailer tires mostly come already mounted on rims, so if I have to replace the rims too I'm wondering if I should increase the wheel size from the current 13 inch to 14 inch.

Assuming they will fit in the wheel wells, what are the advantages/disadvantages of increasing the size from 13 to 14? I'm aware that the larger wheel will not change the load capacity (which is limited by other factors such as the axle, but I am thinking that the larger radius will decrease the rotational speed and thus reduce chances of an overheat related failure.

The tires installed by the factory are ST185/80R13 with load range D, a possible replacement being https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Traile...ACXSJ101G.html. I'm considering ST205/75R14, also load range D, such as https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...74-000014.html

What is the axle rating on your trailers certification label?

According to your OE tire and wheel specs shown above for the 13" tires the axle should about 3200#.

The wheel specs from the 13" reference above would not qualify for an axle with more than 3300# GAWR.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

Increase Wheel Size on trailer?

You can get Carlisles in that size in a load range d (careful, that also come in c) to put on your existing rims. I did that rather than risk issues. My mechanic was very impressed by their quality compared to the cheap tires he took off my Clipper.
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #7

Why not go to bigger wheels. The trailer manufacturer put original wheels on for a reason. So sure you probably know more about the trailer than the people who designed it. Swap em out for bigger. Everyone knows bigger is always better.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Why not go to bigger wheels. The trailer manufacturer put original wheels on for a reason. So sure you probably know more about the trailer than the people who designed it. Swap em out for bigger. Everyone knows bigger is always better.
With that thinking, why would you want to go from biasply to radial or a C to a D? The manufacturer knows better! Sorry!
Old 10-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #9

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Larger wheels and tires do not do anything bad if you don’t use that as an excuse to overload the axle/trailer. If the load remains under rated specifications for trailer nothing is harmed. Provided thet otherwise fit
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #10

Check the width also to sure that the tire doesn’t rub on the frame or something else underneath.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Research tire sites and you will find that it is not necessary to buy rims. Look at"Trailertiresand wheels." I upgraded on my rigs and found they had a better selection and pricing than Etrailer. Shipped to a campground mounted, balanced and metal stems in 3 days.
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #12

13" to 14"

You need to consider that you need to maintain at lease 3" inches of space between the wheels if this is a tandem axle. If you have the space and are willing to spend the money for 14"s I think you will pleased. From experience, D rated 13" tires are almost impossible to find on the road or at most of the national tire stores. On my old trailer w/ 13" Ds, it was cheaper to get a pair of wheels and tires from Etrailer.com than replacing the tires in Dallas, TX. I found that the Goodyear Endurance site has a width and diameter chart on their site to give you specific size numbers to compare.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #13

Thanks for all the input. For cost reasons I've decided to stay with 13" tires and use my existing rims. Now I need brand recommendations. I've found Kenda, Rainier, Carlisle, Power King, and Maxxis but don't know a cheap brand from a quality brand. As a refresher I need ST184/80R13 Load Range D.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #14

Tires

I switched from C rated Carlisles to D rated Goodyear Endurance. Cost was a additional $10 per tire, but ride is better and more stable when pulling. It was a noticable improvement in stability. After 5K miles tires show almost no wear.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #15

On our Clipper 15RB the tag lists a 175 C rated tire.
Our unit was delivered with the alloy wheel upgrade and had 185 C rated tires.
Ran the stock Westlake's about 2500 miles before replacing with Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST185/80R13 with a D rating.
They are tight, no way a 14" would fit in the wheel well. I have a couple of rub marks that appeared after going down a very pot holed road.
We towed over 7000 miles this year on the new Carlisles with zero problems. We tow at just under 65mph for the most part. A burst over 70 every once in a while to pass someone.
TST 507 tire monitors' for peace of mind.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoody View Post
Thanks for all the input. For cost reasons I've decided to stay with 13" tires and use my existing rims. Now I need brand recommendations. I've found Kenda, Rainier, Carlisle, Power King, and Maxxis but don't know a cheap brand from a quality brand. As a refresher I need ST184/80R13 Load Range D.
That's a tough one because there can be quality differences within a particular brand, or where the tire is made, and all of our opinions are based on anecdotal evidence.

Here's my take:
- I've seen nothing on Kenda or Ranier.
- I've recently seen good comments about Carlisle in general, where comments were bad, say, 5 years ago. I believe some are now made in the US.
- Power King is what came on my heavy FW, and many folks reported tread separation and side bubbles resulting in blowouts, but I don't think they have your size. I'd stay away from them.
- Maxxis used to be king, but they have fallen out of favor with many reports of blowouts, I think after they moved to China production.

A couple you didn't mention are Westlakes and Goodyear Endurance. I have Westlakes on my boat trailer, and so far, so good. Other folks have provided good comments, and I think they have them in your size. The Endurance (made in the US) is getting rave reviews, but I did a cursory check and didn't see your size. Also, take a look at Hankook. Some folks switch to P or LT tires instead of ST, but then you have to look very closely at the tire's rating to make sure it's up to your load requirements (from your yellow sticker), and get the trailer weighed to enaure you're not overloaded.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #17

I went with Carlisle brand model 6H04541 which looks like it will do the trick. Thanks for the input.

Tags
trailer, wheel