Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

Inside Tire Stem Troubles

A few weeks ago we picked up our new Forest River Georgetown 364TS. This past weekend we took it out for our first overnight. Before leaving, I checked all of the air pressure in the Michelin tires. They were supposed to be 110 psi. Five of the six were pretty darn close, but the driver's side inside tire was registering like 30psi.

I had to really struggle to even get a reading, and I had to struggle even more to get the air connection lined up to fill the tire. It took like 45 minutes of work, but I got it.

Today I decided to check them all one more time (as we have a two-night trip planned for this weekend). That same tire is back to reading no measurable pressure, and I cannot get the connector to fit on right to put any air in it.

Do you have any advice? At this point, if I can't get air into the tire, I'm not sure what to do - do I dare drive it the 30 miles to the shop with no measurable pressure in that tire?

I'm frustrated and a bit confused.
Dweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #2

I'd have a tire shop pull the tire and wheel off, dismount the tire and make sure the stem is tight and that the valve core is tight as well.

What kind of air chuck are you using?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #3

I've tried two different air chucks. Just the simple, "standard" one that came with my air compressor, then I went out and bought a Kobalt Inflator Gun today.

The Kobalt worked fantastic for the other 5 tires, but that one tire extender just seems screwed up.

do you think it would be safe to drive it to the shop like this?
Dweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #4

I had a similar experience with my inside tire, and I limped into a tire shop and had steel valve stems put on. With the new stems extended I have had no further issues.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #5

inside tire stems.

If you have flexible valve stem extenders I would go there to probably solve the problem. The fact that you can't get good readings and have a hard time getting air in points to the stem. I had similar problems with my Sunseeker. Now I still use an extender but I don't leave it attached to the wheel. Have to re-thread it on to check/fill but I no longer trust leaving them on the wheel anymore. There's no valve in the extensions, just a rod the pushes on the valve stem. If it sticks slightly, maybe a slow release of air. I don't trust them.
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #6

I had a similar problem on my Ford F350. On the fronts, with the mag wheels, it was very difficult to find a public air hose that would fit without interfering with the rim. Being full timers on the road, most of the public/tire shops did not have an air hose end that could secure properly to the valve stem. Ran into the same problem on the outside rear dually, and of course the inside dually. Even the angled air hose ends would not fit properly.

My solution was to first verify that the valve stems were securely bolted to the rim. I had a persistent slow leak (on the inside dually of course), that had a valve stem that was slightly loose and hence leaking. Had a tire shop check all the valve stems.

Secondly, I installed various valve stem extenders so that I could inflate with either my portable pump or at gas stations. I use stainless steel extenders on the inside duallies, a 180 degree extender on the outside duallies, and a 135 degree on the front rims. Now I can easily put air in the tires. Note: The extenders need to be screwed on firmly (not just finger tight).

Thirdly, I installed tire pressure monitoring sensors on every valve stem. Worth their weight in gold. Two days ago, out in the middle of nowhere, the TPMS on one of my inside duallies indicated an overheat and a slow leak. When I stopped and checked the tire, it turns out a portion of the tread had separated and had started to peel off. Caught the problem before any damage was done.

I leave the extenders and TPMS on the valve stems all the time. After a days travel, I physically verify the integrity of the stems, extenders, etc.

Cheers
fredcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcrowley View Post
I had a similar problem on my Ford F350. On the fronts, with the mag wheels, it was very difficult to find a public air hose that would fit without interfering with the rim. Being full timers on the road, most of the public/tire shops did not have an air hose end that could secure properly to the valve stem. Ran into the same problem on the outside rear dually, and of course the inside dually. Even the angled air hose ends would not fit properly.

My solution was to first verify that the valve stems were securely bolted to the rim. I had a persistent slow leak (on the inside dually of course), that had a valve stem that was slightly loose and hence leaking. Had a tire shop check all the valve stems.

Secondly, I installed various valve stem extenders so that I could inflate with either my portable pump or at gas stations. I use stainless steel extenders on the inside duallies, a 180 degree extender on the outside duallies, and a 135 degree on the front rims. Now I can easily put air in the tires. Note: The extenders need to be screwed on firmly (not just finger tight).

Thirdly, I installed tire pressure monitoring sensors on every valve stem. Worth their weight in gold. Two days ago, out in the middle of nowhere, the TPMS on one of my inside duallies indicated an overheat and a slow leak. When I stopped and checked the tire, it turns out a portion of the tread had separated and had started to peel off. Caught the problem before any damage was done.

I leave the extenders and TPMS on the valve stems all the time. After a days travel, I physically verify the integrity of the stems, extenders, etc.

Cheers
My set up is a bit easier. No mags, just wheel covers that I remove and then I can thread the flex extension on ans check/fill. Funny everyone worries about low pressure (me too) but before I removed the flex things I was seeing 35# on the tire gauge and It moved slowly toward the 75# I wanted. I quit at 45#, unscrewed the flex put a gauge on the valve stem (kind of tricky to do) and I read 90#. I guess if I would have held the gauge on the stem for 15 minutes I might have gotten an accurate reading (I'm not that patient).
Old 06-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #8

Going through this issue right now with my new Sunseeker 3170DS. Rear passenger inner tire won't hold pressure.

Took it to a tire shop this morning and the thought is that is was leak in the Air Flexx valve extender. They spotted what looks to be a hairline crack in it. They replaced the extender and I'm hoping that does the trick. Will see when I get home. Pressure was dropping about 10lbs or so a day. If not, back to the tire shop I guess to have them remove the tire and troubleshoot further.

The better news, after a couple weekends of backyard camping and our maiden voyage over memorial day weekend, this tire issue is the only problem I've discovered so far. Can't say I'm not pumped about that!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #9

Wow! I also have a new Forest River Georgetown 364TS. Guess what. Last month, on a trip to TX from OH, I blew the two right rear tires at about 60-65 mph on the interstate. A road service came an installed two new tires for about $1,200. But, that's not all. On the way home, these two new tires blew! After another $1,300, we limped home considering it just a coincidence that they both blew. However, upon arriving home, I discovered the inner tire on the right rear was flat and off the rim. At the same time, but unrelated, the rear sway bar axle bracket broke loose. Concerned that there may be a connection between the two incidents, Ford sent a rep who put the tire back on the rim (thankfully, it wasn't damaged). He said, "hey buddy, did you know you had a loose inner valve stem?" Apparently, neither roadside service replaced the valve stem, which appears to have been the problem all along. Now that's one expensive valve stem! So, my advice is to buy the best valve stems you can get. I also recommend a TPMS. In this case, that would have saved the day and $2,500 bucks.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #10
RailwayRog

Did a lot of research on replacing my flexible valve extenders and went with these, pricy but worth it considering the troubles to be had out on the road.
Tire-Man: Home Page
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #11

New unit? It sounds like the dealer should help, call them for help
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #12

Since the inner and outer wheel holes are aligned with each other, the 45 degree angle of the valve stem doesn't point at the hole in the outer rim. It seems that one would need a solid stem extension shaped like an S in order to get through both wheel holes. Advice?
Old 06-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Since the inner and outer wheel holes are aligned with each other, the 45 degree angle of the valve stem doesn't point at the hole in the outer rim. It seems that one would need a solid stem extension shaped like an S in order to get through both wheel holes. Advice?

NAPA has a dual head air chuck that is straight instead of a 45-degree angle. I use that on my truck to get to the inner duals.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #14

dual head air chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
NAPA has a dual head air chuck that is straight instead of a 45-degree angle. I use that on my truck to get to the inner duals.
That looks perfect for airing that inside dual. Question is how do you check the pressure. Can your chuck be hooked to a pressure gauge or somehow incorporated into a gauge equipped air gun?
Old 06-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by milvet33 View Post
That looks perfect for airing that inside dual. Question is how do you check the pressure. Can your chuck be hooked to a pressure gauge or somehow incorporated into a gauge equipped air gun?

I also have a dual head tire pressure gauge that has a straight end on it. Got it from Amazon for something like $20.

I just fill for a while and then check and repeat as needed.

Tags
tire