Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #1

Installing 2inch Bumper Hitch

Hello All,
I would like to install a 2 inch hitch on the rear of my TT.I just purchased a 2014 Rockwood 2905SS. They have the ones that bolt directly to the bumper for around 90 bucks and looks like something I can tackle.My question is does anyone know where I can find the weight rating for the bumper, I dont really trust the people who sell them.They seem to TELL u what u want to here to get you to buy, I'd rather trust people who DO.Thanks in advance for any help.
Vinchenzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinchenzzi View Post
Hello All,
I would like to install a 2 inch hitch on the rear of my TT.I just purchased a 2014 Rockwood 2905SS. They have the ones that bolt directly to the bumper for around 90 bucks and looks like something I can tackle.My question is does anyone know where I can find the weight rating for the bumper, I dont really trust the people who sell them.They seem to TELL u what u want to here to get you to buy, I'd rather trust people who DO.Thanks in advance for any help.
Weight rating is exceeded with only the the bumper.
What do you plan on hauling?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #3

Yeah, TT bumbers are for looks - there is no structural value to them, might as well be made of PVC pipe.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Hello All,
You might consult with a frame/hitch specialty shop that does these routinely. I'm like the other posters, the 4" rectangular bumpers may be OK for mounting a bike rack, but not for a tow hitch. A hitch shop is also a welding shop, and should be able to fabricate a mounting for a frame hitch.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #5

Guess I should have added this, I want to put one of those cargo racks, about 300 lb capacity and then attatch a bike rack to the inch and 1/2 reciever off of that. I'd have to say a total of 300 lbs if that. 4 bikes a gas grill and maybe some chairs and whatnot. Not a boat or another trailer.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Old Enough to Know Better

I bought one from camping world to use for a bike rack. Be careful when you install as it will deform the bumper and you will not be able to pull out your sewer hose (be there done that) for what you want to do you might want to talk to a hitch shop and have one mounted to the frame. Hate to see you lose your stuff and rear bumper when the welds fail.
Good luck
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Guess I should have added this, I want to put one of those cargo racks, about 300 lb capacity and then attatch a bike rack to the inch and 1/2 reciever off of that. I'd have to say a total of 300 lbs if that. 4 bikes a gas grill and maybe some chairs and whatnot. Not a boat or another trailer.
If you do this it will fail!
You will VOID your frame warranty!
I have been there done that!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
You might consult with a frame/hitch specialty shop that does these routinely. I'm like the other posters, the 4" rectangular bumpers may be OK for mounting a bike rack, but not for a tow hitch. A hitch shop is also a welding shop, and should be able to fabricate a mounting for a frame hitch.
Bike racks are worse than using it for towing.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Bike racks are worse than using it for towing.
This what you are looking at if you go down this road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110911-00304.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	31645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110911-00301.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	31646   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	31647   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	31648  
Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #10

THanks everyone. Guess the bikes go in the truck bed, maybe I will try to attatch to truck roof rack, I knew that thing had a purpose.Love this site.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
THanks everyone. Guess the bikes go in the truck bed, maybe I will try to attatch to truck roof rack, I knew that thing had a purpose.Love this site.
I applaud your willingness to concede !

Any idea you have other than the rear bumper is 100% better!
Good luck and let us know what you do.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #12

Well I am not ready yet, One more try. I will concede the bumper option is OUT. I will also concede that drilling into the frame will void my warranty. But lets look to the future. I would like a cargo carrier for my Honda minivan,for day trips and such. Is there one designed for TT that I can attatch DIRECTLY to the frame when warranty is expired.I was told they make these for the rigourous travel of the TT.I hope I have not exhausted all of your patience.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
There are some pretty good bike racks that attach to the RV ladder. I used to carry two on the back of an old TT when the kids were young. The ladders are pretty sturdy. I'm over 200# and have never had a problem with one. You'll want to make sure you can mount it so none of the bike is jutting out the side. Some of them are made so you can hang the bike vertically.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Well I am not ready yet, One more try. I will concede the bumper option is OUT. I will also concede that drilling into the frame will void my warranty. But lets look to the future. I would like a cargo carrier for my Honda minivan,for day trips and such. Is there one designed for TT that I can attatch DIRECTLY to the frame when warranty is expired.I was told they make these for the rigourous travel of the TT.I hope I have not exhausted all of your patience.
Your BEST bet in doing this although I'd be hesitant would be to build your hitch from the frame of the tt rather than anything to do with the bumper.
I have a factory mounted carrier as you describe attached to my frame and has a 450lb rating.
Now here's the kicker..... my frame I beams are NOT fabricated I beams as most tt trailers are as well as there over 10" tall.
Most tt frames or I beams are a piece of 6 or 8" thin plate with a top and bottom tack welded to it..... not very strong.

Sending a pm.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Always Learning

I also read the RV.net forums (especially when I want to read posts from angry and rather snarky people- wow, some people need to relax!). I only read the first two posts in this thread and lost interest, but it immediately made me think of this thread:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: The Bike Rack Rocks and Rolls
Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

As in any open forum; Caveat Lector. (Reader Beware)

Most of what you read has no basis in fact, is typically a rehash of hearsay or anecdotal evidence, or just plain made up to start an argument.

Always do your own research, draw your own conclusion based on the evidence (and not what you WANT to believe), and be prepared to waste money on things that just don't work out the way you had hoped.

It has to be true! I saw it on the Internet!