Old 09-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #11

Check the "Roads Less Traveled" travel forum. They have an article describing their experience changing their brakes. Maybe this will help.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #12

Just a thought. Have you had your brake controller checked? What type of TV do you have?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #13

I have had it on two different one ton dually's. The first was my 05 Chevy 1 ton, with a p3 controller, and my new one 2012 one ton HD with built in controller, same thing does not stop very well even at 7 on the controller. It just has to much brake fade on the trailer brakes. You can feel it it starts slowing at 60 mph till it gets to about 40mph then you feel the brakes go away.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
Check the "Roads Less Traveled" travel forum. They have an article describing their experience changing their brakes. Maybe this will help.
That is one of the articles that got me thinking about converting to disc brakes. It is a good article, the other one was in one of the magazines that I get on RV's.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #15

Well I got the disc brake kit yesterday. I got the new rotors and caliper on today, still need to plumb the hydraulic lines. I found out reading the instruction on the Titan Brakerite electric Hydraulic actuator that on Chevy and Ford I need another part they did not put in the kit so I have to order one on Monday, so it will probably be a week before I can finish it. It is actually pretty simple to install the brakes. I will keep everyone up dated.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:07 PM   #16

Well here are some pictures of my progress, I have the brake lines run, and waiting on the Chevy brake module. I ran the brake lines in 1/2" plastic, to protect the lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1439.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	90282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1440.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	90283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1441.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	90284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1442.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	90285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1443.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	90286  

Old 09-29-2015, 11:49 PM   #17

Looks great! I am thinking about doing this conversion as well and I'm very interested in your real-world experience when you're done. I wouldn't worry about "disk rust" mentioned earlier too much. When I used to have motorhomes, they all had disk brakes at least on the front, and other than the odd caliber freeze, they lasted pretty well.

Cheers
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #18

These disc are coated with a rust inhibitor. They are used for boat trailers in the Seattle area, that is where I got the kit from, Six Robbles, they have a store in Missoula, MT. and my dad and I have delt with them for years in Seattle. They have a good product and were the cheapest price that I found for the kit.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #19

I found out this week that you have to be very careful about this kit. They claim they fit any axle or trailer, but, I found out that there is no application to fit a Dexter D44 axle with electric brakes. You are pretty much outta luck. They have applications for the D35 and the D52 but not the D44.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:55 PM   #20

I finally got the brakes done and bled, and a picture of the pump and set up. I installed a switch and a plug in so I can bleed the brakes by myself that is what the 30 amp outlet is for, and the coiled cord. The switch is needed if I have to tow the trailer with a Dodge truck. If you have a 2006 or newer Chevy, or Ford, you need the converter. This way I can have it towed by any truck that has a prodigy 2 or 3, or intergraded tow system. you can see the switch in the picture on the side of the grey box above and to the right TITAN Brakrite actuator. I have towed it down to town and back, and it handled going down the hill (21% grade) and on the highway, (65 mph) and the brakes don't fade like the drums did. Next week will be the big test, I am headed to AZ. for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	92706  

Tags
brakes, trailer