Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #21

I may do bags on my 3500, just to try and soften the unloaded ride.

I'll put valves in it, and use the compressor in the jeep.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I AM NOT THE WEIGHT POLICE...
Old 12-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #22

drivers side is tougher because of the brake lines.
you will most likely need two sets of vise grips to bend the paddles that fit inside the frame boxes... as well some threat lock (red) and a set of lockable needle nose vise grips to hold the part as you thread the bolts.

start with the driver side . I didn't and had to remove the passenger side unit and reinstall the Original bumper stop because Firestone sent me 2 right lower brackets and i couldn't figure out why i was having such a difficult time getting the driver side to fit.

after 3 weeks i got the replacement part from Firestone directly shipped to my door. the reason for the delay is that they said they custom make each order as they come in - they do not stock spare parts.

once i got the correct bracket the driver side took me almost an hour to install and the passenger side took me again 20 minutes.

make sure that you have all the correct pieces.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #23

That's a nice set up under the seat. Air tools on the road is a cool aspect. Might have to consider that.
jagmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:13 AM   #24

although simple to install, the quick connect air lines are notorious leakers, and if I keep mine at 7 psi, they don't seem to leak down at all. (at 5 psi they drop down to 0 after a couple weeks)

I like to think I have the best of both worlds on mine. I have a single port to fill, with a ball valve on one of the bags. open the bags are teed together for filling or a softer ride over rough roads or driving empty and closed (after I air up so both are equal) for heavier loads and towing.
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #25

Ditchooker, Firestone recommends a minimum of 10 lbs pressure in the bags to prevent bag damage. If the air lines have square cuts at the connections and fully seated into the connection, they should not leak. A little squirt of soapy dish water on the connections should tell you if they are leaking. Also check your fill valve as they sometimes leak if defective or not fully seated. The valve cap must also be in good condition and tight. I have been told that the cap is actually the part of the filler valve that prevent air from escaping. I have done 3 installs on different TVs over a 10 year period. The bags and connections have been trouble free.

Not sure I understand what you are doing in paragraph 2. A single air valve with a tee airs both bags at the same time which is okay. Not clear on the ball valve or how one bag and the empty/closed sentence relates. If running empty, the bags should be filled a minimum of 10 lbs that has little effect on a comfortable ride. When running loaded or towing a heavy load, the bags should be aired to level front to rear. When we had a slide-in camper, the dealer recommended 60 lbs. and he was correct. For a TV pulling a fully loaded cargo trailer with 7,000 GVW, we generally run about 30-40 lbs in the bags. This is on 1500 series TVs with HD towing packages, which is about your equivalent. Never have we had the need to air to the maximum 100 lbs.

For those of you with air bags or for those considering air bags, it is wise to have an accurate air pressure gauge. It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to be accurate as low as 10 lbs and up to 100 lbs. We had a relatively expensive commercial grade gauge that we carried with us for years. But it was a guess at 10 lbs. Before taking our last trip, I tried to air up the bags. From experience, the bags looked overfilled for what the gauge was reading. In a pinch, we bought one at a discount store for a dollar. Sure enough, the expensive air gauge had failed.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #26

I had that setup on my Dodge and it worked great but a PITA to adjust air while on the road with a trailer hooked up so I went with the wireless on board air. Not an expensive add on to your current setup and so nice. On the fly air changes, ect.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Ditchooker, Firestone recommends a minimum of 10 lbs pressure in the bags to prevent bag damage. If the air lines have square cuts at the connections and fully seated into the connection, they should not leak. A little squirt of soapy dish water on the connections should tell you if they are leaking. Also check your fill valve as they sometimes leak if defective or not fully seated. The valve cap must also be in good condition and tight. I have been told that the cap is actually the part of the filler valve that prevent air from escaping. I have done 3 installs on different TVs over a 10 year period. The bags and connections have been trouble free.

Not sure I understand what you are doing in paragraph 2. A single air valve with a tee airs both bags at the same time which is okay. Not clear on the ball valve or how one bag and the empty/closed sentence relates. If running empty, the bags should be filled a minimum of 10 lbs that has little effect on a comfortable ride. When running loaded or towing a heavy load, the bags should be aired to level front to rear. When we had a slide-in camper, the dealer recommended 60 lbs. and he was correct. For a TV pulling a fully loaded cargo trailer with 7,000 GVW, we generally run about 30-40 lbs in the bags. This is on 1500 series TVs with HD towing packages, which is about your equivalent. Never have we had the need to air to the maximum 100 lbs.

For those of you with air bags or for those considering air bags, it is wise to have an accurate air pressure gauge. It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to be accurate as low as 10 lbs and up to 100 lbs. We had a relatively expensive commercial grade gauge that we carried with us for years. But it was a guess at 10 lbs. Before taking our last trip, I tried to air up the bags. From experience, the bags looked overfilled for what the gauge was reading. In a pinch, we bought one at a discount store for a dollar. Sure enough, the expensive air gauge had failed.
The caps just cover the end of the stem,not for preventing Air to escape! The Schrader Valve is what checks the Air! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #28

I have the hellwig bigwig on my 2500HD i run 7 pounds when not hooked up and just put them up to 15 when towing that keeps it off the overloads and just firms up the back and gives a better ride i have the lines seperarted as not to get and body roll just picked up a compressure looking into istall next spring now need to find a place to put it

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #29

The on board air is a novelty.

How often do you need to adjust pressure, while driving down the road?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #30
Ambassador

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450036432.728230.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	96115Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450036452.633469.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	96116Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450036472.401060.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	96117Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450036496.839265.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	96118Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450036576.911659.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	96119

Here are the photos as promised, Firestone Ride Rite bags are installed, I left them isolated, ran the lines out to the trailer electric connector. This was a no drill kit, they literally bolted right on.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #31

Looks good!!!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #32
Done with this

Mine was a bolt in install as well. About an hours worth of work. I ran the lines to the licence plate. I got a cheapo compressor to inflate the bags as needed. I have a 12 volt plug in the rear of the truck bed. Super easy to use and very handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	96120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1030.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	96121  

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #33

Great job, now you can reap the benefits. Firestone has done a marvelous job of engineering the bags with no drilling required.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:40 PM   #34

Quote:
My installation manual stated 5 psi minimum, so I am going with that. My profession as a diesel tech, I see those quick connect fittings on a daily basis over many different brands, and they are common to leak with low psi applications, but the convenience is hard to beat vs the old crush sleeve style fittings that always seem to be overtightened.

Quote:
My Firestone Manual lists 1 psi=32lbs of weight. Knowing that my hitch weight is approx 850lbs, I fill up to 24 psi, and close the ball valve, and connect the trailer. Truck is pretty much dead level when all hooked up. (front axle is only 30lbs lighter with no air bags, so the WDH is good) I found that when I have the bags isolated (my initial install) on the rural rough roads driving to and from work, even at 5-7 psi, the ride was quite noticeably harsher, (my P rated tires are only @ 30 psi, so they are also soft - not towing ) especially with the sunk sections in the road. Once I linked the bags together with the T, and with one fill port, the ride was much less harsh (virtually the same as stock) and the suspension seemed to articulate much better on the rough roads when I had no load. My Tundra is not equipped with the TRD package, so it does not have the rear sway bar, but by closing the ball valve, I get improved sway control while towing on the curvy back roads.
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags