Old 08-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #1

Is my lug nut split?

I went out to check the torque on my wheels before we head out this week. I used a torque wrench set to 100lbs as the sticker says, when I cranked on one of them it was tight, then when I went to remove the socket it felt like I could move it by hand. Upon further inspection, I see there is a crack in it. I can spin the entire thing, but it does not come off, almost like it's a cover, but I can't get it to pop off to expose a real lug nut.
You cans see where it's cracked on the top, is this a cover or the real lug?

Old 08-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Looks like a cover, but would just get a replacement anyway.

Skip
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
Site Team

It's not really a cover, but more like a chrome veneer. It's cheaper than a full solid chromed lug nut. I hate em with a passion, as they are bad about messing up on vehicles, and once they come off, the underlying nut isn't properly sized and is easy to round off with a socket.

At this stage, you will have to get the veneer off, in order to remove the lug nut.

Why is no one ever the right amount of whelmed?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #4

Ok thanks for the reply. For future reference, do you need to remove them to tighten or remove the lugs??
Old 08-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
Site Team

No, you do not remove them, as they are basically pressed onto the lug nut. It's when they crack or round, that you have to get the veneer off, in order to remove the lug nut, as you are seeing they are spinning in place. That's also rounding the edges off the underlying lug nut too.

I found a pic on google to show you the lug nut chrome veneer.

The lug nut on the left is what you have, with it's corresponding chrome veneer/cap to the immediate right, that you will have to remove. Sometimes if you can't get them off with pliers, you can use a flathead screwdriver and punch thru on the very end and try to get a way to pry it off. I have also used a flathead to just finish splitting it too, and it'll basically fall off.

The third item/lug nut is what you have with the chrome veneer still intact. You can also see how it's pressed onto the steel lug nut, and basically crimped around it. You can look back at the first lug nut and also see where it should be crimped.

The fourth lug nut is a solid one piece chromed lug nut. This may be what you want to buy, and replace all of the lug nuts that have the chrome veneer on them.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Site Team

I also need to emphasize strongly, you want to take care of this while it's still in your yard. You get out on the road and have a flat, you may be stuck because neither you nor roadside assistance can get the lug nuts off due to these messed up veneers and/or an underlying rounded off lug nut.

I speak from experience, as we have many vehicles towed in to us, due to the same.

Good luck.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #7

I had the same crappy lug nuts on my F150 when I bought it used.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I also need to emphasize strongly, you want to take care of this while it's still in your yard. You get out on the road and have a flat, you may be stuck because neither you nor roadside assistance can get the lug nuts off due to these messed up veneers and/or an underlying rounded off lug nut.

I speak from experience, as we have many vehicles towed in to us, due to the same.

Good luck.
I got the veneer off, what a stupid, cheap set up.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
I got the veneer off, what a stupid, cheap set up.
Now, you get to find out, that without the veneer, the lug nut doesn't really fit any size socket/lug wrench proper. It is real easy to round off the edges of the nut and then are going to be stuck. That's why I suggest in getting them off, and replacing with a solid nut.

Many times, what starts the veneer problem, is someone using either a 12 point socket, or the wrong sized socket/lug wrench on these.

BTW, this isn't just on RV's. Many vehicles have this same lug nut.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

You normally have to find a 6 point socket that fits a good one and then DRIVE the socket on the bad one to re-shape the cover to get the lug nut off. Replace all of them with good ones. Have had to do a couple of them on an old car and it hain't fun.