Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #1

Jack point

Hi, New to this and have many questions. Just picked up a 04 All American Sport, 36CK, 5th wheel. With AL-KO Axles. I want to check the brakes and wheel bearings. Where do I place the jack? And what jack rating should I use? GVW is under 14,000. Other than the obvious what should I look for. I don't know much about electric brakes. The tires look OK, very, very little cracking if any. How can I tell if they are safe to use? This thing is big, I don't want to take any chances. But... don't want to part with the bucks if not necessary. Thanks
IHDRIDER00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Always Learning

Generally with trailer tires - you have to replace them due to age before you replace them due to anything else. Take a look here:
TireRack.com article on determining the age of tires
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
H2oski

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHDRIDER00 View Post
Hi, New to this and have many questions. Just picked up a 04 All American Sport, 36CK, 5th wheel. With AL-KO Axles. I want to check the brakes and wheel bearings. Where do I place the jack? And what jack rating should I use? GVW is under 14,000. Other than the obvious what should I look for. I don't know much about electric brakes. The tires look OK, very, very little cracking if any. How can I tell if they are safe to use? This thing is big, I don't want to take any chances. But... don't want to part with the bucks if not necessary. Thanks
Check out the files section in the green bar at the top of the page (beside the user cp). There you will find the manual for your axle.

You probably have a 6000 or 7000 lb axle. You will need to a 5 ton jack and jack from the frame not from the axle tube.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #4

Thanks guys, alot of info. at those sites. So basically just jack on the frame.
IHDRIDER00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

If you look between the tires you will see where the frame is beefed up where the axles mount. This is where I jack up the RV using a bottle jack. It will raise both tires, but IMHO I feel this is the safest way.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #6

I have this same question, endless internet searches doesn't seem to apply to my travel trailer and I just get more confused, any help will be appreciated. There is no mention in my owners manual about where to place a jack or jack stands.

I have a 2011 31' Wildcat travel trailer. It has double axles and the springs are on top of the axles (so no spring plate to place the jack) and the two springs are connected together with a A shaped piece between the tires ( so I can't get the jack between the tires to the frame as suggested above). A large share of internet posts says to jack only on the frame (looking at my frame it looks really weak and also mostly all covered on the bottom with the belly cover).

There is a heavier square tube welded to the frame where the spring mounts (but there is only a very small amount of the heavier square tube on each end past the spring mounts and that doesn't leave enough to jack up and place jack stands).

I would like to jack up one side and place it on stands to repack the wheel bearings and also to adjust the brakes. One of my brakes seems to get hotter then the other three.

The only option I can see that looks reasonable is to jack up one axle between the spring shackles, and only jack it up enough to do one wheel at a time.
Or maybe jack up on the A shaped piece that connects the springs between the tires, and use that small amount of the heavier square tubing at the ends to place the jack stands. The A shaped piece looks like it could move/pivot side to side a small amount, but maybe it would be ok... has anyone done this before?

Thanks for any and all info,
James
Replay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #7

Prime Time should be answering this question???? This is a serious matter and the only warning is in the Dexter manual stating not to jack up an RV by the axle or suspension. Wouldn't it make sense for Prime Time to either mark the frame where a jack should to be placed or there manual should have a specific section / diagram on jacking an RV. I have a Sanibel 3600 and taking it over to get new tires today (to swap out the inferior / inadequate Goodyear marathons ST 235s - 4 failure with the first year). When you have road service come out when traveling they jack the RV by the axle!!!! I will follow the advice of Len & Cheri today and the RV jacked up by the frame between the tires. As much as I like my Sanibel, there is much more that can be done by Prime Time to make the RV'ing experiencing more enjoyable. Maybe they should survey owners a year after ownership to seek quality improvements?
Dgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHDRIDER00 View Post
My BIL had a A/S Toy Hauler also,BIG Heavy Unit! We made ramps (Tiered 2x10 lumber)! Left T/V connected and pulled up (1) tire at a time, SAFE and EASY! These units need to be (Jacked and Supported by Additional means! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #9

This topic is cussed and discussed at length on many forums. While new to Forest River products, I’ve owned SOB’s (some other brand) for many years. My fivers have been in the 12K – 13.5K loaded range. While some vehemently denounce jacking under an axle ... I jack under the axle between the spring U bolts. I as well as others have made a V bracket out of angle iron to fit on top of my jack to more distribute the load. A few pumps to get the individual tire clear of the ground ... place a jack stand under the axle for safety and go on about the job. I have access to a load cell that fits on top of a jack. I used it once while jacking my SOB up to do bearings and brakes ... to get an individual tire off the ground about an inch (no real need to go higher) ... I was lifting @2760#. Granted if I jack higher, the weight increases as the leaf springs gradually take on more load off the axle still on the ground. What I'm trying to get across here is you're not lifting near as much trailer as you have in your mind. When you raise the whole side of your RV up to get a tire off, you’ll hear it pop and groan and you’ll be jacking way higher just to get the tire to clear. While there’s nothing wrong with this approach, I’m just pointing out my way puts less stress on your unit and is way easier. The warnings about jacking under an axle are in place to keep unthinking individuals from placing a jack under the center of an axle and trying to lift goodness knows what up all at once. You will ruin an axle jacking in the middle of the tube. As stated by "youroo" hooking your RV to your TV adds a margin of safety when doing suspension work.</SPAN>
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #10

I have the Dexter Torflex axles on my Rockwood 2703ws and I need to change a tire. My friend gave me a wood ramp to drive the good tire up on but I am concerned that this could damage the axle. I know the electric stabilizer jacks won't lift this unit. Should I invest in a bottle jack (Harbor Freight sells a 4 ton for $19.99) or can I use the scissor jack that came with my F-150. Where to I place the jack to lift the trailer?
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwoodjoe View Post
I have the Dexter Torflex axles on my Rockwood 2703ws and I need to change a tire. My friend gave me a wood ramp to drive the good tire up on but I am concerned that this could damage the axle. I know the electric stabilizer jacks won't lift this unit. Should I invest in a bottle jack (Harbor Freight sells a 4 ton for $19.99) or can I use the scissor jack that came with my F-150. Where to I place the jack to lift the trailer?
You won't damage the axle by driving up the ramp, BUT if you want to jack the tire up, DO NOT JACK ON ANY TORSION AXLE. Jack on the frame BETWEEN the axles.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #12

Why can't prime Time mark the jack points on their RVs???? This is one of the problems with RV manufacturers - lack of quality!!!! This post offers several suggestions by owners but some do not work in my case AND Prime Time has remained silent like they do on may other topics. I really feel Prime Time needs to create a team that includes their techs, engineers AND RV owners to improve their products. like I've said in the past, I like my 2013 Sanibel 3600 but there is room for improvement and a collaborative effort can accomplish this.....
Dgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote