Old 05-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #61
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's not level.

The camper is parked on the road in front of my house. The road slopes to shed rain water. When I raise my camper to level, I need 4" of blocks...
The 12 ton jack has 9 inches of lift. It is 9 inches tall before you start pumping and a bit over 18 inches fully extended.

A 6x6 under it starts out at 14 inches or so and can lift to 24 inches.

Double up the 6x6 (10 inches plus the 9 to start) and you will lift to 28 inches.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The block of wood goes under the jack and the jack stands.
If you have ever seen a jack sink into asphalt you will know why.

Once it starts sinking, you can't get the tire off (or worst yet on) without ANOTHER jack.
Sounds like a man talking from experience. I learned my lesson by using a 6"x6" piece of 1/2" plywood with a 4ton bottle jack on soft ground. I had to change my front wheel bearing on my old mud truck with 38.5 TSL Boggers. Let’s just say the tire came off quite easy, but I had to get another jack and bigger piece of ply wood to get the tire back on. I can say that was the first and last time that has happened to me.

2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #63

This is not my trailer but this is how I jack mine up. with the exception I usually jack one side up at a time putting the bottle jacks one in front of the front axle and one just behind the rear axle, using the frame. When I do repack the bearings I do one side at a time. When I go for new tires I jack one side up and place jack stands on that side and then jack the other side up. I take all four tires at once. I would never trust a tire shop to jack up my trailer.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #64
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
This is not my trailer but this is how I jack mine up. with the exception I usually jack one side up at a time putting the bottle jacks one in front of the front axle and one just behind the rear axle, using the frame. When I do repack the bearings I do one side at a time. When I go for new tires I jack one side up and place jack stands on that side and then jack the other side up. I take all four tires at once. I would never trust a tire shop to jack up my trailer.
Sabres do not have an exposed frame sorry.

The frame is covered by plastic under belly and aluminum facia.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #65
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not to mention the outside kitchen gas line is attached to the frame the whole right side of the camper.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
BTW, you do have the 5er attached to your TV while you're doing this don't you?
I was saying the same thing as I was reading this thread.
Good point to make Barry!

BTW guys....Great thread! One of the better discussions I've seen on this forum.
And everyone is stating civil too!
Good job!

Bill
Air Lift 5000
Prodigy Brake Controller

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #67

Holy smokes, lots of scary "advice" today!

You have a regular spring suspension, so ignore all of the talk about jacking on the frame, as only those with rubber torsion axles have to do that. And yes, jack under the U-bolts that hold the axle to the springs.

Two issues with a bottle jack. First, never put a block of wood on top of the jack, as the small head could split the wood and your camper could come crashing down. Second, if the camper is not attached to the TV, it could roll and fall off the jack.
Much better, and safer, to buy a small floor jack, and a 3-ton should be plenty heavy enough, as you only lift one axle at a time. Don't forget to "crack" the nuts loose before you jack it up. And when tightening the nuts, after you have them snugged up, lower the jack to put a bit of pressure on the tire to keep it from spinning, then finish torqueing them to spec.

Once you have done one wheel, you will be amazed at how simple and safe it is. Just use the right jack, and you will be safe.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post

That might not be advisable on some of the campers with lighter frames, as the concentrated load on the head of the bottle jack could bend the frame. I use a piece of heavy-wall 2x2 inch steel square tube, about 18 inches long, to distribute the weight.
The frame on my fifth is really, really light. Yours does look a lot heavier, but why take the chance?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Holy smokes, lots of scary "advice" today!

You have a regular spring suspension, so ignore all of the talk about jacking on the frame, as only those with rubber torsion axles have to do that. And yes, jack under the U-bolts that hold the axle to the springs.
Scary indeed. I have the Dexter Axle book right in front of me and it clearly says not to jack on the axle...any of them. Maybe you know more about this than the manufacturer does, but giving such advice publicly is "scary".
Old 05-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Scary indeed. I have the Dexter Axle book right in front of me and it clearly says not to jack on the axle...any of them. Maybe you know more about this than the manufacturer does, but giving such advice publicly is "scary".
That is a disclaimer, as people would put a jack under the unsupported tube, and thus bend the axle. There is no issue with jacking under the U-bolts, done it a hundred times, literally.

So in this case, it would appear that I do know more than the manufacturer!