Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Here's what I'll use. Copied from a store bought one and made out of scrap lumber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00294.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	42485   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00291.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	42486   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00292.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	42487   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00293.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	42488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade Tire Changing Ramp.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	42490  

Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #12

Jacking up to change a tire

I have a Rockwood 2014 8244 fifth wheel with tandem axels and had a tire failure in the first two months of owning it and only doing 3 day trips. The roadside assistance AAA guy did not want to jack it up and did the following which makes it easier than changing a car tire (assuming only one tire failure). He had a 4X4 piece of wood 2 feet long with a slight ramp cut into one end. Put it in front of the good tire and said pull the 5th wheel up onto it. This lifted the failed tire off the ground enough to pull of and put on the spare. Then drove off the 4X4 and off we went.

As long as both tires don't fail this is far easier and lighter than a 3 ton jack :-)

Old 11-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #13

Tire and Wheel Lifter

This is kind of similar to what I have done, just added a neat touch. Most people carry around some 2x material for leveling there RV's at a site. I made something that I can use for that purpose and also for getting the bad tire off the ground in case of a flat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronschmucker View Post
I have a Rockwood 2014 8244 fifth wheel with tandem axels and had a tire failure in the first two months of owning it and only doing 3 day trips. The roadside assistance AAA guy did not want to jack it up and did the following which makes it easier than changing a car tire (assuming only one tire failure). He had a 4X4 piece of wood 2 feet long with a slight ramp cut into one end. Put it in front of the good tire and said pull the 5th wheel up onto it. This lifted the failed tire off the ground enough to pull of and put on the spare. Then drove off the 4X4 and off we went.

As long as both tires don't fail this is far easier and lighter than a 3 ton jack :-)
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
This is kind of similar to what I have done, just added a neat touch. Most people carry around some 2x material for leveling there RV's at a site. I made something that I can use for that purpose and also for getting the bad tire off the ground in case of a flat:
Folks with the EquaFlex suspensions or other brands/other names need to try it out first. My camper's tire was still firmly on the ground after driving up a ramp of 5-Lynx blocks high when I tried it.

It's a good plan, but definitely something you want to try at home first!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Folks with the EquaFlex suspensions or other brands/other names need to try it out first. My camper's tire was still firmly on the ground after driving up a ramp of 5-Lynx blocks high when I tried it.

It's a good plan, but definitely something you want to try at home first!
You can get a block of wood and put in between the end of the EquaFlex on the bad tire and the frame and stop it from swiveling and the ramp/blocks will work just fine.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #16

Trailer Aid

I had one of these when I had my trailer. Worked great. Easy & fast, especially on the side of the highway. Comes in two heights. I know it needs to be stored but getting the tire off the ground is a two minute thing. Wont work with some sophisticated suspensions that allow the tire to drop down low when jacked up, just cannot get enough height. Just pull forward on the front to raise the rear, or back up on the rear to raise the front.
Attached Images

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote